All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Seems like the top teams in the Metro are gearing up for an arms race this deadline.

Out of curiosity, who do Carolina fans expect the Hurricanes to be targeting trade-wise?

From the outside looking in, it seems like Larkin would make a ton of sense now that Horvat is off the board. Not sure if that’s just the Devils fan in me hoping the Hurricanes interest in Meier is just noise to drive up the price.
Meier fits what we have been after. Larkin would be a dream add also.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
And I admit that coming from an Engineering background, I probably discount things like relationships, brand and personal preferences more than I probably should
Had you pegged for a lawyer

Avs fan here. Would you guys acquire chychrun+ Meier at TDL if it cost you Necas+I don't know about your prospects though

No. Necas is their leading scorer, he's signed for one more year at a low cap hit/salary relative to his production and is still and RFA after that.

Chychrun is awesome. But Carolina has an elite defense already, and even then their left side is stronger than their right.

What Carolina really needs is a #2 center. If Necas is going anywhere- which he isn't- then it's for a guy to give the 'Canes a solid 1-2 punch headed into the playoffs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Seems like the top teams in the Metro are gearing up for an arms race this deadline.

Out of curiosity, who do Carolina fans expect the Hurricanes to be targeting trade-wise?

From the outside looking in, it seems like Larkin would make a ton of sense now that Horvat is off the board. Not sure if that’s just the Devils fan in me hoping the Hurricanes interest in Meier is just noise to drive up the price.
who we think we will acquire / rumored names and who we actually acquire are typically well different.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Meier fits what we have been after. Larkin would be a dream add also.
I assume the idea is that Meier is what the Hurricanes hope they had in Pacioretty.
who we think we will acquire / rumored names and who we actually acquire are typically well different.
Well that goes for any deadline. Moreso just interested in whether Carolina is hunting for C or W.

If it’s C, was it all in on guys like Horvat/Larkin or looking at the second tier of guys like O’Reilly/Bennett/Henrique? Likewise for wingers and Meier vs Henrique/Buchnevich/Tarasenko.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I assume the idea is that Meier is what the Hurricanes hope they had in Pacioretty.

Well that goes for any deadline. Moreso just interested in whether Carolina is hunting for C or W.

If it’s C, was it all in on guys like Horvat/Larkin or looking at the second tier of guys like O’Reilly/Bennett/Henrique? Likewise for wingers and Meier vs Henrique/Buchnevich/Tarasenko.
Canes typically get someone from well out in left field that folks arent talking about. My guess, not a favorite around here, is Ryan Johansen with a little retention. But alls we can do is guess.

Either way we could chase W or C really. We could get a power winger and/or 2C. But we wont be forced into anything. We'll find the best deal with a little bit of best fit mixed in. Meier is the favorite but his price is only going up, we probably bow out of the arms race.

I say all of that and knowing our GM team, as price of the best fit wingers and Cs go up, we'll end up getting a really good defender instead.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Canes typically get someone from well out in left field that folks arent talking about. My guess, not a favorite around here, is Ryan Johansen with a little retention. But alls we can do is guess.

Either way we could chase W or C really. We could get a power winger and/or 2C. But we wont be forced into anything. We'll find the best deal with a little bit of best fit mixed in. Meier is the favorite but his price is only going up, we probably bow out of the arms race.

I say all of that and knowing our GM team, as price of the best fit wingers and Cs go up, we'll end up getting a really good defender instead.
At some point, we're going to have to change strategies. We're one big offensive gamebreaker away from Cup competitive year-to-year and we're unlikely to find them scraping undervalued assets.

Sometimes, the big brain "smartest people in the smartest FO" move is to recognize that you have to make the big time, full priced move for the exact asset you need.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
At some point, we're going to have to change strategies. We're one big offensive gamebreaker away from Cup competitive year-to-year and we're unlikely to find them scraping undervalued assets.

Sometimes, the big brain "smartest people in the smartest FO" move is to recognize that you have to make the big time, full priced move for the exact asset you need.
ehhh... with the very wide array of overall rankings numbers that have won the last 22 Stanley cups, trying to definitively nail down anything that can win you a cup is very hard. A very hot goalie is what you need but you cant trade for that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
ehhh... with the very wide array of overall rankings numbers that have won the last 22 Stanley cups, trying to definitive nail down anything that can win you a cup is very hard. A very hot goalie is what you need but you cant trade for that.

Well, two things: a great overall roster and a hot goalie. Our record speaks for itself in the first category, so now what they need is the latter.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Well, two things: a great overall roster and a hot goalie. Our record speaks for itself in the first category, so now what they need is the latter.
dont even need a good overall anymore. We have had 2 11 OA and 1 13 OA rankings when in the cup over the last ~14 years. those roster just got hot like their goalie too.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
dont even need a good record anymore. We have had 2 11 OA and 1 13 OA rankings when in the cup over the last ~14 years.

Almost all of the cup winners have been the expected teams, though. Cinderellas have made the Cup Finals before on the back of elite goaltending but have typically not gone far in the final, at least in recent years. Los Angeles was the one oddity in that they were an 8th seed because they got off to a horrendous start, but were absolutely red-hot at the end of the year and were widely considered to be a talented group despite their seeding.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Almost all of the cup winners have been the expected teams, though. Cinderellas have made the Cup before on the back of elite goaltending but have typically not gone far in the final, at least in recent years. Los Angeles was the one oddity in that they were an 8th seed because they got off to a horrendous start, but were absolutely red-hot at the end of the year and were widely considered to be a talented group despite their seeding.
LA twice and STL. they were double digit rankings of the 16 who made the playoffs.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Chatfield has shown that in a pinch for a game or two he could likely play up in the pairings if we lose Slavin for a game or two in playoffs. But we still do not have an answer to a long term outage of Slavin… not that many teams would….

and getting to play more regularly and get some consistent minutes has meant Coghlan is less of a train wreck than he has been when doing spot starts with long gaps in between games. But he is not the answer as our #7 this season… he may get there but right now he just isn’t someone we should rely upon come playoff time as the first replacement in case of injury or needing to swap with someone from our 3rd pair… so…..if everyone else is healthy, we do still need another low cost dman to fill in as our #7 dman who can come in cold and play without killing us…. Ideally someone who can play both sides….. maybe even do a rotation with deHaan to keep deHaan fresh for playoffs…

there is zero chance we give up a first for a 50% retained McCabe out of Chicago like someone like a Toronto might do or some other team desperate for d might do…. We have got such great cap balance and value in our setup right now paying League min for our 5/6/7 dmen and our top 4 all on very good value contracts…. So doubtful we go get a 4m bottom pairing guy…. But we need something for sure just to give more assurances than having to lean on Coghlan..

I think the majority of our $10m+ in LTIR cap space will be spent on a winger to play on the top line with Aho and force Brindy to move Jarvis down to get him some favorable matchups and boost his scoring… ideally someone with size or someone with a more physical play style for when playoffs get going…. Which is usually when the Aho line gets in trouble in terms of consistent scoring and consistent scoring on the road and the size of the line with Aho, TT and Jarvis becomes more noticeable….

If there is still some LTIR cap space left after the depth d and top line winger then looking to find another option for center to try to force decisions on whom to play between KK, Stats and that pickup would be the 3rd priority…

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it came down to he really wanted to be in STL, and I doubt he wants to leave. With his history in Chicago I assume he has family in the area.
He signed in St. Louis because we looked like contender. We aren’t anymore. I’d imagine he would be okay with trade to better team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Had you pegged for a lawyer
:laugh:

Well, in fairness, I did spend a couple of years in a role where I negotiated licensing and joint development deals with other companies. Spent way too much time with IP and general law attorneys and contracts in that job, and way too much travel.

Later on in life, I found that in a development engineering role in a large company, 1/2 the battle is negotiating within your own company. Research vs. Development. Development vs. Manufacturing. As well as with suppliers and customers.

So I can see how the "lawyerisms" would creep in.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
:laugh:

Well, in fairness, I did spend a couple of years in a role where I negotiated licensing and joint development deals with other companies. Spent way too much time with IP and general law attorneys in that job, and way too much travel.

Later on in life, I found that in a development engineering role in a large company, 1/2 the battle is negotiating within your own company. Research vs. Development. Development vs. Manufacturing. As well as with suppliers and customers.

So I can see how the "lawyerisms" would creep in.
Law is just a different kind of code.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

IMO, this is a pretty accurate answer to @Coffeeguy 's (or was it @Zippy316 's) question...though RyJo specifically is complicated because he's got 2 more years of term...if he only had 1 year remaining, he'd be a prime target.

First, and most importantly, CAR's front office tends to zig when conventional wisdom dictates a zag. Second, CAR doesn't have a taste for impending UFAs and will typically only land one when it doesn't cost much to acquire (Haakanpaa, Edmundsen, Domi, Vatanen). Third, CAR likes to use cap space to land a distressed asset from a team under pressure from the salary cap.

CAR has cap space next year, and a good amount of cap space for the remainder of this year. They don't *need* the selling team to retain salary, which is why they are coming at this deadline from a different angle than other teams. A 1st/2nd line center who has a high salary for exactly one more year and doesn't cost much to acquire is right in the CAR wheelhouse.

Additionally, a #6/7 LHD to give de Haan a break would be pretty inexpensive to acquire. But again, a distressed asset who is more like a #4/5 LHD and has one more year of term would be another prime target.

Ideally, in both the case of the Center and Defenseman, the acquisition would afford CAR another choice in the 2024 off-season, either the new guy or a veteran on an expiring contract (Aho, Skjei, Pesce). Or they could go in a totally different direction at the beginning of the 2024-2025 season. Options.

But, as Gocanes0506 says, this is a SWAG. Grain of salt and all that...

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Canes are going to surprise everyone when they utilize the $10M cap space and acquire a couple of cap dumps that will amount to a first round draft pick in the 23-24 NHL draft.
Imagine if we somehow wound up with Michkov from acquiring cap dumps and still won the Cup without any other deadline acquisitions… Michkov is just what the doctor ordered for this team

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Canes are going to surprise everyone when they utilize the $10M cap space and acquire a couple of cap dumps that will amount to a first round draft pick in the 23-24 NHL draft.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make one bigger acquisition and then use the remaining cap space to gain more middle round picks by using their retain slots as the 2nd team 50% team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
One difference between this off-season and others, is the team/front office was counting on significant goal scoring from Pacioretty and that is not available to them. If the cost isn't too exorbitant, it might entice them to go after a rental goal scorer this deadline, even if that hasn't been their MO in the past.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I made a joke on another page about Chuck Fletcher dumping the Kevin Hayes contract for a top-5 protected 1st because he believes that Pastrnak or whatever the sloppy seconds in UFA are will magically turn the Flyers back to a playoff team, but seriously, I would hit up Philadelphia in some way while the iron is still hot. We already have a premium-value high-2nd from them; why not try for an extra 1st, too?

Reactions: Stickpucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad