All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The TNT guys last night made a good point about Toews (and ROR).... Are they capable of stepping into this lineup and keeping up with the high pace that we want to play at? On paper, they both seem like good fits, but in reality, they might be too slow at this point in their careers to be fully effective in this lineup.

Which is why they were saying we should be targeting guys like Meier and Larkin.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Are you making that up about Laine? I don't follow his social media a lot but I've seen a few times him with Barkov, but don't see him a lot with Aho nor do I get the impression that the two of them are that close, but again, I don't follow the social media stuff of these guys at all so I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyhow, it doesn't mean "jack shit". It also doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion either. It's a consideration that is one of many, but one that's in NJ's favor. I still think NJ is the favorite for a lot of reasons, but by no means a lock.
I mean, unless Meier has a NTC then who he hangs out with on break does mean pretty much jack shit because he has no say in where he goes. Now the team could ask him but frankly they should be taking the best deal they get. Unless they think they can get him to come back in the offseason. So maybe slightly less then jack shit :)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, unless Meier has a NTC then who he hangs out with on break does mean pretty much jack shit because he has no say in where he goes. Now the team could ask him but frankly they should be taking the best deal they get. Unless they think they can get him to come back in the offseason. So maybe slightly less then jack shit :)

This is where I disagree. CAN the SJS trade him to anyone? Yep.

BUT, the SJS want to get the best return. So what's going to get a better return? A) a trade where Meier is strictly traded with no extension in place? Or to a team where he won't commit to an extension? Or B) a trade to a team where he will sign an extension at the time of the trade?

Certainly B) would very likely give SJS a better return, so in that sense, going to a team he wants to play for and is more likely to sign an extension with DOES mean something.

I have no idea what's important to Meier and what isn't, nor do you or @Svechhammer. For all we know, NJ could be no more attractive than Detroit. But it's silly to discount it as a potential mitigating factor, because where he gets traded to and what type of trade is made (rental or signing an extension) certainly will affect SJS's return and thus might matter.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
That Toews deal sounds like something Waddell pulls off at 2:45 on deadline day after finding other moves too expensive.

I wouldn’t mind it, but Toews is not the top priority.
Like Bissonnette and Carter were saying on the broadcast last night, I wonder if Toews can keep up with Carolinas play style. Maybe he has a little resurgence and gets going for a playoff run, but dude is slow as shit and that doesn’t exactly work in the Hurricanes system.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Like Bissonnette and Carter were saying on the broadcast last night, I wonder if Toews can keep up with Carolinas play style. Maybe he has a little resurgence and gets going for a playoff run, but dude is slow as shit and that doesn’t exactly work in the Hurricanes system.
There is nobody slower than Stastny.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Looking over the prospect pool rankings, Vancover’s pool is in the range of Boston and Pittsburgh who have been competing for a cup for a long time. The next worst non competitive team is Ottawa but that is because all of their best ones have graduated. Vancouver is the most motivated to make moves.

I only bring those two up because they would be decently motivated to make a move involving some of our depth of prospects.

If the team holds Nikishin and Morrow as high as I think they do, I think we make moves involving forward prospects only. Gunler, Rees, Gleb, Kiovunen, wall, rizzo, etc should all be available for deals. I think those two defenders stay put.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
And weren't Necas and Svech on a bit of a scoring slump while Stastny was their center? Seems like it has caught fire again since KK was inserted back onto that line.
Yes, but my point is that the Borg thinks/thought that would work. I see no reason they would find two guys who are faster to be a hindrance to them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And weren't Necas and Svech on a bit of a scoring slump while Stastny was their center? Seems like it has caught fire again since KK was inserted back onto that line.

The metrics don't support the assertion that Svech and Necas are better with KK offensively. The line was better defensively though.

The line of Svech-Stastny-Necas: xGF/60 = 4.05 GF/60 = 2.86
The line of Svech-KK-Necas: xGF/60 = 2.57 GF/60=2.79

Svech with Stastny: 0.95 G/60; 2.14 P/60
Svech with KK: 0.76 G/60; 1.33 P/60

Necas with Stasny: 0.69 G/60; 1.33 P/60
Necas with KK: 0.54 G/60; 2.17 P/60

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
This is where I disagree. CAN the SJS trade him to anyone? Yep.

BUT, the SJS want to get the best return. So what's going to get a better return? A) a trade where Meier is strictly traded with no extension in place? Or to a team where he won't commit to an extension? Or B) a trade to a team where he will sign an extension at the time of the trade?

Certainly B) would very likely give SJS a better return, so in that sense, going to a team he wants to play for and is more likely to sign an extension with DOES mean something.

I have no idea what's important to Meier and what isn't, nor do you or @Svechhammer. For all we know, NJ could be no more attractive than Detroit. But it's silly to discount it as a potential mitigating factor, because where he gets traded to and what type of trade is made (rental or signing an extension) certainly will affect SJS's return and thus might matter.
Good point, I wasn't thinking in terms of the extension piece of it. That would absolutely make a difference in terms of what team offers the best value.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
New Jersey’s prospect pool stands out so much because of the 2 Top 5 picks up top. Neither of whom will be made available for Meier, most likely.

There’s a scenario in which a Morrow or Nikishin is valued more highly than Holtz from a positional standpoint.
Agreed.

Also, re: the Swiss connection Meier has with New Jersey and him vacationing with the New Jersey players, we also have a personal connection with Burns. Meier playing with Burns for several years on the same team (San Jose), and them both moving to another team (Carolina) within the same season could happen. That'd be incredible actually.

Regarding TNT talking about us getting either Meier or Larkin, it currently seems unlikely Larkin is even made available by Detroit despite the contract extension talks failing, but man, would we be set on center depth for years with him and Aho.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
New Jersey’s prospect pool stands out so much because of the 2 Top 5 picks up top. Neither of whom will be made available for Meier, most likely.

There’s a scenario in which a Morrow or Nikishin is valued more highly than Holtz from a positional standpoint.
Prospect pool aside, I haven't seen anyone illuminate how the Devils will pay for him.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
That Toews deal sounds like something Waddell pulls off at 2:45 on deadline day after finding other moves too expensive.

I wouldn’t mind it, but Toews is not the top priority.
I wish someone besides us would take Towes and Kane so we don't do something stupid.

If all the names floated, I guess I like Larkin the best. We need a center. One that can win faceoffs. Is he better than Kk this year? Absolutely. Will kk make the step to his grade next year? Maybe.
Does he make an instant improvement in our chances this year? Maybe. Is he worth it? I kind. Of doubt it.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Agreed.

Also, re: the Swiss connection Meier has with New Jersey and him vacationing with the New Jersey players, we also have a personal connection with Burns. Meier playing with Burns for several years on the same team (San Jose), and them both moving to another team (Carolina) within the same season could happen. That'd be incredible actually.

Regarding TNT talking about us getting either Meier or Larkin, it currently seems unlikely Larkin is even made available by Detroit despite the contract extension talks failing, but man, would we be set on center depth for years with him and Aho.
At least for next year till Aho goes up to Montreal to play wing behind their awesome center depth.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I wish someone besides us would take Toews and Kane so we don't do something stupid.

If all the names floated, I guess I like Larkin the best. We need a center. One that can win faceoffs. Is he better than Kk this year? Absolutely. Will kk make the step to his grade next year? Maybe.
Does he make an instant improvement in our chances this year? Maybe. Is he worth it? I kind. Of doubt it.
Winnipeg fans seem to think that Toews is quietly the Jets main TDL target...so we may be safe as I doubt we're getting in a bidding war for a late-career vet center rental we probably don't want to re-sign.

Do I want Kane? No. Do I think he's possibly the guy we double back at 2pm on TDL day when Chicago hasn't got a dance partner for a trade? Yeah.

I won't be upset if we get a stealy dealy but I don't want to pay good assets for him.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I wish someone besides us would take Towes and Kane so we don't do something stupid.

The answer to whether or not Larkin instantly improves our chances this year is really only a “maybe” to you?

And you think KK reaching his level next year is a “maybe”?

Do you not know who Dylan Larkin is? He would be a huge get.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The answer to whether or not Larkin instantly improves our chances this year is really only a “maybe” to you?

And you think KK reaching his level next year is a “maybe”?

Do you not know who Dylan Larkin is? He would be a huge get.

Larkin would be an incredible get, but also IMO an unrealistic get. Detroit is approaching bubble-team status, lacks centers in their pipeline, and Larkin is by far the best one that they have. It would shock me if they did anything except extend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad