All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Imagine if we somehow wound up with Michkov from acquiring cap dumps and still won the Cup without any other deadline acquisitions… Michkov is just what the doctor ordered for this team
How canes would that be? If he falls to the middle of the first round, which he could, based on his contract situation and concerns with his pace not being nhl level I could seriously see the canes making a play to trade up

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I made a joke on another page about Chuck Fletcher dumping the Kevin Hayes contract for a top-5 protected 1st because he believes that Pastrnak or whatever the sloppy seconds in UFA are will magically turn the Flyers back to a playoff team, but seriously, I would hit up Philadelphia in some way while the iron is still hot. We already have a premium-value high-2nd from them; why not try for an extra 1st, too?
That would definitely be an incompetent move for Fletcher seeing his scoring so far.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What are some realistic contract dumps that the Canes could take on? Zaitsev seems like the most realistic but would likely only generate a high 2nd (because Ottawa's still a bad team).
Pens might want to dump Dumo to get an upgrade on the roster. He’d be an expensive cap dump. He would be a pretty good depth defender and we could be paid to take him on.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Canes are going to surprise everyone when they utilize the $10M cap space and acquire a couple of cap dumps that will amount to a first round draft pick in the 23-24 NHL draft.

Imagine if we somehow wound up with Michkov from acquiring cap dumps and still won the Cup without any other deadline acquisitions… Michkov is just what the doctor ordered for this team

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make one bigger acquisition and then use the remaining cap space to gain more middle round picks by using their retain slots as the 2nd team 50% team.

I was thinking the same thing. I believe they'll go for an A level scorer, but if they can't find a deal that makes sense they'll bring in some mid tier support and monetize the remaining cap space. Can't see them letting that asset go to waste.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
ehhh... with the very wide array of overall rankings numbers that have won the last 22 Stanley cups, trying to definitively nail down anything that can win you a cup is very hard. A very hot goalie is what you need but you cant trade for that.
while it is hard to predict which team will win the Cup, Canes mgmt. should assess why the team has failed to advance deep in the playoffs the past three seasons. Boston, NYR and Tampa exposed our teams in the past. The roster on paper is not as good as last year's team and the NYR figured out we could be pushed around and hacked because our PP was way too predictable. Boston also physically bullied us the year prior. Deadline trades recently have not proven to be difference makers, Domi's game 7 goal aside.

My argument is there are players, aside from deadline rentals, that are difference makers for this roster. I hope the Canes ignore ROR, Towes, Kane, and other pending UFA except Tarasenko. He can still score and would likely sign an extension here. That allows for Necas to move to C next season. If its Meier, the cost will be expensive but if mgmt. really believes the PP and 5x5 scoring will greatly benefit from him playing here, they essentially have to pay the price. The opportunity to play in the SCF is worth the price IMO. Will any serious fan of the Canes be satisfied with another 2nd round exit from this team? I don't think so.

Horvat was there for the taking except they could not negotiate an extension. My guess is Horvat would sign here particularly if the team were to advance to conference or SC finals. I understand Canes' position on Horvat trade. Canucks did not need pre negotiated extension to trade him for solid return. If Meier is the guy, then it will cost the Canes in terms of assets (Debrincat trade sets the value). Can't have the Devils or NYR acquire him and beat us in the playoffs.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
There's a rumor out there that if Nashville becomes sellers they might offer up Saros. I really doubt that's the case, but they do have Askarov in the pipeline for down the road so maybe it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Saros turns 28 in 2.5 months and has 2 years left after this season at $5m per. Just spitballing, if Saros did become available, what would you offer up for him? Would be expensive, but if you sent Raanta back in the deal could you imagine going with Saros and Andersen for this Cup run and then Saros and Kooch for the 2 years after that?

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
There's a rumor out there that if Nashville becomes sellers they might offer up Saros. I really doubt that's the case, but they do have Askarov in the pipeline for down the road so maybe it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Saros turns 28 in 2.5 months and has 2 years left after this season at $5m per. Just spitballing, if Saros did become available, what would you offer up for him? Would be expensive, but if you sent Raanta back in the deal could you imagine going with Saros and Andersen for this Cup run and then Saros and Kooch for the 2 years after that?

Saros in a Canes uniform would be hilarious, but also unrealistic. Most of the rumors are coming from pundits and fans that don't like it when teams are stuck in the middle. I think that being a bubble team is deeply underrated in many ways, especially from an ownership/business perspective, because teams in that situation continue to be good enough to barely squeak in the playoffs every year and win enough games to keep attendance strong. As long as Saros is as good as he has been in recent games, Nashville's going to win enough games to make the 8th seed in the West.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Speaking of Saros, Lankinen is doing well for Nashville. He is the guy I wanted us to sign for goalie depth. I wouldn’t mind him.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
while it is hard to predict which team will win the Cup, Canes mgmt. should assess why the team has failed to advance deep in the playoffs the past three seasons. Boston, NYR and Tampa exposed our teams in the past. The roster on paper is not as good as last year's team and the NYR figured out we could be pushed around and hacked because our PP was way too predictable. Boston also physically bullied us the year prior. Deadline trades recently have not proven to be difference makers, Domi's game 7 goal aside.

My argument is there are players, aside from deadline rentals, that are difference makers for this roster. I hope the Canes ignore ROR, Towes, Kane, and other pending UFA except Tarasenko. He can still score and would likely sign an extension here. That allows for Necas to move to C next season. If its Meier, the cost will be expensive but if mgmt. really believes the PP and 5x5 scoring will greatly benefit from him playing here, they essentially have to pay the price. The opportunity to play in the SCF is worth the price IMO. Will any serious fan of the Canes be satisfied with another 2nd round exit from this team? I don't think so.

Horvat was there for the taking except they could not negotiate an extension. My guess is Horvat would sign here particularly if the team were to advance to conference or SC finals. I understand Canes' position on Horvat trade. Canucks did not need pre negotiated extension to trade him for solid return. If Meier is the guy, then it will cost the Canes in terms of assets (Debrincat trade sets the value). Can't have the Devils or NYR acquire him and beat us in the playoffs.
I understand what you’re saying.

All those teams who beat us, beat us in all facets of the game. It wasn’t just the PP that sunk us.
PP had more star power
Better goal tending
Stronger 5v5 scoring (star power)
Pk was better

Add in the postseason was in line with the regular season. We didn’t score a PP goal against Shesterkin. We scored less 5v5 goals as the matchups tightened up and whistles were swallowed.

Last edited:

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
We have enough cap space to sign a Larkin or Meier, to 8 x 9.5
then sign the following in the off season for the 24-25 season to the followig
Aho 10.5 x 8
Necas 7.0 x 8
Pesce and Skjei 6.5 x whatever
jarvis at 3.5
and Staal at say 3 to 4.5
and still have over 10 Million in cap space remaining if the cap stays at 87 million if it drops to say 85 million because of Bally. We still have over 8 million left.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Saros in a Canes uniform would be hilarious, but also unrealistic. Most of the rumors are coming from pundits and fans that don't like it when teams are stuck in the middle. I think that being a bubble team is deeply underrated in many ways, especially from an ownership/business perspective, because teams in that situation continue to be good enough to barely squeak in the playoffs every year and win enough games to keep attendance strong. As long as Saros is as good as he has been in recent games, Nashville's going to win enough games to make the 8th seed in the West.

I thought I pointed out that Nashville dealing Saros was highly improbable; maybe that wasn't clear, so thanks for expanding on that. But the question was, IF they did, what would you be willing to give up to get him?

Reactions: Sigurd

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We have enough cap space to sign a Larkin or Meier, to 8 x 9.5
then sign the following in the off season for the 24-25 season to the followig
Aho 10.5 x 8
Necas 7.0 x 8
Pesce and Skjei 6.5 x whatever
jarvis at 3.5
and Staal at say 3 to 4.5
and still have over 10 Million in cap space remaining if the cap stays at 87 million if it drops to say 85 million because of Bally. We still have over 8 million left.
Necas signing for les than Svech while out performing him and having more UFA years to buyout seems unlikely.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Seems like the top teams in the Metro are gearing up for an arms race this deadline.

Out of curiosity, who do Carolina fans expect the Hurricanes to be targeting trade-wise?

From the outside looking in, it seems like Larkin would make a ton of sense now that Horvat is off the board. Not sure if that’s just the Devils fan in me hoping the Hurricanes interest in Meier is just noise to drive up the price.
The Canes like guys with team control so, hate to tell you, of the names on the market that are difference makers Meier is the only one that fits the bill.

Reactions: MinJaBen

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Good discussion the last few pages.

For me, this season is one whereby who wins the Cup is totally up in air. Last year, the Avs were the clear favorite. This year, Bruins are playing well but given their age I don't count them as a prohibitive favorite. Of course, trade deadline deals could tilt the balance for one team or another.

FWIW, I tend to think that the Borg will make a move to position for a cup run. Hopefully, one that could make them a back to back favorites next year too.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I understand what you’re saying.

All those teams who beat us, beat us in all facets of the game. It wasn’t just the PP that sunk us.
PP had more star power
Better goal tending
Stronger 5v5 scoring (star power)
Pk was better

Add in the postseason was in line with the regular season. We didn’t score a PP goal against Shesterkin. We scored less 5v5 goals as the matchups tightened up and whistles were swallowed.
Credit to Dave G on the Necas as the 2C solution. He said it recently and I agree. Makes a lot of sense. If we trade for a scoring winger, try Necas at C for a few games. maybe against lesser opponents. See how it goes. He seems to be taking more faceoffs this year and his play with the puck has been outstanding.

This would solve a lot of issues IMO, especially intermediate to long term, and allow for the SAT line to be reunited.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

Nothing. We need a f***ing center and scoring.

Didnt Necas want to be a C anyway?

If necas keeps this up and turns out he can play C well, hes not gonna get 7. He's gonna get 9.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Credit to Dave G on the Necas as the 2C solution. He said it recently and I agree. Makes a lot of sense. If we trade for a scoring winger, try Necas at C for a few games. maybe against lesser opponents. See how it goes. He seems to be taking more faceoffs this year and his play with the puck has been outstanding.

This would solve a lot of issues IMO, especially intermediate to long term, and allow for the SAT line to be reunited.

Necas would need size on his wings too.

Svech and Necas together, in whatever form, away from Aho has been the logical end game all along, imo.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Nothing. We need a f***ing center and scoring.

Didnt Necas want to be a C anyway?

If necas keeps this up and turns out he can play C well, hes not gonna get 7. He's gonna get 9.
Rod likely will not play Necas at C until his FO% goes above 50%. That's why a Toews rental makes a ton of sense at the correct asset price. A league-leading 63% win rate would have a ton of utility at 2C for Brindy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad