Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
His dad is nuts.

I believe Serbia is the most recent European country to have an administration convicted of War Crimes related to genocide. It reads like a Milosvic quote circa 1998
Yeah... that's where i wanted to go but was fighting the urge to punch the keys...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Seems Nole has acquired a new nickname suddenly: Novax Djokovic
He's had that nickname for awhile :laugh:

If Novak is still asking the question "why am I not respected/admired like Rafa/Feds?", stuff like this is the reason. The pseudo-science, anti vax, rage outbursts on court (he's gotten much better over the years but still pops up), etc.

I wanna like him, but every time I almost do he says or does something to remind me of why I don't. He'll retire with the most GS championships and all the numbers to back it up, but people will still have the GOAT debate in large part because of the way he conducts himself.

At least that's what I believe will happen.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Cruor

May 12, 2012
His mother says he's being kept as a prisoner in a small, immigration hotel.

His uncle says it's the only way to keep him from losing.

His father says Australia dared to attack Serbia to bring it to its knees.

His brother compared Djokovic to Jesus. Who had all this on their Aussie Open bingo card?

I have a feeling he is going to be allowed to play, after all is said and done.

Novak and his family has always had this weird serbo-nationalist thing going. I guess his parents behaviour explain his own to an extent, but I've always found him thoroughly dislikable.

Reactions: Jussi

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
On what grounds can it be overturned? The visa he is travelling under does not allow exemptions for those who are unvaccinated. That's way more than a mere trchnicality. Plus there may be serious problems with the legitimacy of his documentation. I think he will be on a plane out of there early next week.

More interesting will be if/when he's allowed back in if they don't let him in this time.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
On what grounds can it be overturned? The visa he is travelling under does not allow exemptions for those who are unvaccinated. That's way more than a mere trchnicality. Plus there may be serious problems with the legitimacy of his documentation. I think he will be on a plane out of there early next week.

I didn't say I agreed with it but I feel like there is a ton of pressure on the Australian government. I hope I'm wrong.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
More interesting will be if/when he's allowed back in if they don't let him in this time.

I was thinking about this as well. If it was an innocent slip up it's one thing but if he has a fake doctor's note or something, he could be banned for a long time.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I was thinking about this as well. If it was an innocent slip up it's one thing but if he has a fake doctor's note or something, he could be banned for a long time.

If it was just a slip up, you would think that they would have corrected it by now or at least issued a statement to that effect.
Based on the information available so far, I don't think an innocent mistake is at the center of this. But I guess it is still too early to be sure.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I think he'll be able to avoid a ban based on the actions of Tennis Australia and the lack of clarity they will say the letter TA sent out had, he'll be able to shift the blame to them in regard to lack of information or incorrect information he put on a visa, but will still be deported since he doesn't meet entry requirements.

edit: The letter they sent is available from a few news outlets now, personally i think it's clear enough but you could easily argue it isn't

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If I were Novak I doubt I would be eager to return. He has suffered a humiliating public shaming in Australia to the extent that today he is beginning to receive some sympathy for his plight in the press. He is likely to be met with hostile crowds if he returns as well. I do not think that Australia would seem a welcome ( or welcoming) destination at all.

I'd bet money he will become an advocate for improved treatment of immigrants and refugees. Some good may come of that and he can partly mend his tarnished reputation.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The question seems to be arising concerning who screwed up the visa application. I don't think that person is at fault at all. I think the application had to be in by late November to meet Australia's deadline. No way could that person predict the steps Australia would take concerning exemptions because that wasn't resolved yet. No way that person could know that a normal visa might not suffice. Everybody would have cause to think everything was in order. Exactly what they all did assume.

If Nole knowingly provided false or even misleading information on his visa applicatiion, he would have more to worry about than deportation.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Djokovic and Kyrie appear to be genuinely nice human beings, however I do take issue with voicing their anti-science viewpoints on such a platform for the simple fact that they have zero credibility/experience/education and expertise on these branches of medical science, it’s irresponsible and I have a tough time empathizing with them

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The question seems to be arising concerning who screwed up the visa application. I don't think that person is at fault at all. I think the application had to be in by late November to meet Australia's deadline. No way could that person predict the steps Australia would take concerning exemptions because that wasn't resolved yet. No way that person could know that a normal visa might not suffice. Everybody would have cause to think everything was in order. Exactly what they all did assume.

If Nole knowingly provided false or even misleading information on his visa applicatiion, he would have more to worry about than deportation.

That would almost certainly make him inadmissible in Australia.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That Bautista-Agut/ Hurkacz match was a beauty with RBA winning 7-6 in the third set to send Spain to the final. His consistency and Hurkacz's exploitable forehand were the differences. But very well played on both sides.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo puts Canada ahead 1-0 by defeating a super-game Challenger circuit regular Sufiullin in three tense sets. Felix up next against Medvedev. Then a doubles match. if needed to decide who goes to the ATP Cup finals.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Close match for eight games and then Felix never won another. Medvedev dominated from deep centrefield and Felix had no answers as his game slid downward.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After looking clueless for almost two full sets, Shapo and Felix peak at the right time and take the doubles match from Medvedev and Sufiullin in a third set tie breaker. Canada is in the finals.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If he actually had a positive test one day and posed with children the next day....I don't even want to think about it.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If he actually had a positive test one day and posed with children the next day....I don't even want to think about it.
And also had a maskless ceremony that day or the next when he got his stamp. How is it that he and his lawyers think broadcasting this is a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA