Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
he didn’t, though. And clearly he is well within his legal rights do so. So what? Are we advocating for the rule of law to just no longer exist for unvaccinated people?

hes obviously an ass. But that was before Covid. He’s obviously a narcissist. Again, nothing new.

the amount of people I see wishing ill on a human being because he is unvaccinated is just downright gross.

and the people wishing ill on him were already doing so before the walking around with covid thing came to light.

I’m not a Joker fan (big Fed and Murray fan), but the lack of humanity in some of these people. My god
I think while some of us may object to his attempt to get an exemption without being vaccinated, most of us who are responding strongly are more upset by the likelihood that after his positive test in Belgrade, he engaged in a number of public activities without a mask, including presenting awards to children. If true, that would show a level of hubris and blissful disregard for others that would definitely put him in the pariah class, head table.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I say this as a vaccinated person (and what a shame that everything needs to be qualified this way), but I honestly don’t get the hatred he is receiving. He asked for an exception, it appears he was granted one. It appears it was erroneously and illegally canceled. A judge appeared to have stated as such.

what am I missing? He’s unlikeable so he doesn’t deserve a court ruling in his favor? Seriously, what am I missing?

It started way back when he first came on tour. He would have fake injury time outs frequently. Then there was his time where he would impersonate players on the tour, including a very embarrassing one of Rafa. After that it was his weirdness, ripping his shirt open after a win, his parents behaving badly (Roger told them to shut up once because they were yelling at him during a match), his entitlement. This is just the latest in a very long list of stupid, careless or entitled behaviour.

I don't know what to believe with this positive test in December. Is it real? Would he be so thoughtless as to go out among people after testing positive? Or is it fake so he doesn't have to get the vaccine in order to play? There is just way too much not to like with him so I'm hoping they toss him out. It's not fair to everyone else that they play by the rules. I also think that anyone who told him it was ok should be in trouble.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It started way back when he first came on tour. He would have fake injury time outs frequently. Then there was his time where he would impersonate players on the tour, including a very embarrassing one of Rafa. After that it was his weirdness, ripping his shirt open after a win, his parents behaving badly (Roger told them to shut up once because they were yelling at him during a match), his entitlement. This is just the latest in a very long list of stupid, careless or entitled behaviour.

I don't know what to believe with this positive test in December. Is it real? Would he be so thoughtless as to go out among people after testing positive? Or is it fake so he doesn't have to get the vaccine in order to play? There is just way too much not to like with him so I'm hoping they toss him out. It's not fair to everyone else that they play by the rules. I also think that anyone who told him it was ok should be in trouble.
If that test is on the up and up--and you gotta wonder--perhaps it was a false positive which is not that uncommon occurence, especially as I believe he tested negative a few days later.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If that test is on the up and up--and you gotta wonder--perhaps it was a false positive which is not that uncommon occurence, especially as I believe he tested negative a few days later.

It's awfully convenient and hard to believe it's a coincidence. Regardless, if it was legit, he should never have gone to all those events in the following days. Anyone and everyone knows the responsible thing to do when you aren't sure is to isolate.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
@MsMeow and @kihei

Oh these are totally valid responses. I think he's a bag of douche nozzles. I just don't think his vaccination status is the reason why, if that makes sense. And if the country of Australia was ok with it, and "justice" (whatever the f*** that means anymore) was served, then I just don't see the continued negative will towards the guy for THIS.

I do think he has behaved recklessly, and if that shit about walking around Covid Positive is true, then he likely will get his comeuppance.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
@MsMeow and @kihei

Oh these are totally valid responses. I think he's a bag of douche nozzles. I just don't think his vaccination status is the reason why, if that makes sense. And if the country of Australia was ok with it, and "justice" (whatever the f*** that means anymore) was served, then I just don't see the continued negative will towards the guy for THIS.

I do think he has behaved recklessly, and if that shit about walking around Covid Positive is true, then he likely will get his comeuppance.

I don't think it's the only reason why, but definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. I think part of it is because he was keeping everything under wraps about going to Australia, then he posted that tone-deaf photo and commentary on twitter. Add to the fact that people in Australia have had a really strict lockdown and a lot of people can't see their families who don't live near them. People are fed up.

I've had 3 shots now, and with every vaccination - not just covid, but shingles, flu - I've spent 2 days sleeping afterward and feverish. I'm doing my part. I've just had enough bullpoop from this guy who didn't learn from his super-spreader tourney in 2020. Tennys Sandgren did the right thing and didn't bother going because he knew he didn't have an exemption. If Djokovic had done that, he definitely would have been criticized for being a poor role model but it would have been a far better outcome than this one.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

This is the feed of a reporter that was live-tweeting yesterday. She's answering questions. Interesting that she thinks the longer it takes, the worse for Novak because they would be taking their time not to screw up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Maybe they are looking for a procedural maneuver that will run out the clock on Nole, meaning he won't be eligible for the draw on Thursday. After which if he appeals and the courts overturn it again, the government's mission is still accomplished. In other words, the government doesn't require a win, just a long enough delay.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
latest thing that's come to light from the court case is he did actually provide incorrect information on his immigration form

Said he hadn't travelled in 14 days, but had been to Spain on 31st Dec

edit: some people are saying his agent completed it for him, but the date being thrown around for it's completion is 1/1

edit2: apparently the QR code on the covid test result was listing a negative test when it was followed yesterday according to Der Spiegel and the NYT, there was then a period where it gave mixed results and now only shows positive.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He was practicing on Laver yesterday and they cut off the cameras inside but a helicopter had some footage from above. I'm having flashbacks of the OJ Simpson chase many moons ago!

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
latest thing that's come to light from the court case is he did actually provide incorrect information on his immigration form

Said he hadn't travelled in 14 days, but had been to Spain on 31st Dec

edit: some people are saying his agent completed it for him, but the date being thrown around for it's completion is 1/1

edit2: apparently the QR code on the covid test result was listing a negative test when it was followed yesterday according to Der Spiegel and the NYT, there was then a period where it gave mixed results and now only shows positive.

Interesting about the QR code. I had read that it happened to Rothenberg but some people said he had scanned the wrong code.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Interesting about the QR code. I had read that it happened to Rothenberg but some people said he had scanned the wrong code.

I think if he had scanned the wrong code then a different test number would have shown on the result, the screenshots both have the first one

the first test has 7371999-259039 (that Novak said was positive)
the second one has 7320919-259039 (that Novak said was negative)

might actually try the QR code for the second one and see if it changes a bunch (it didn't)

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

His stubbornness to stay in Australia may really cost him. I don't know why he doesn't just leave and never go back. He can compete at other majors unless those countries impose vaxx requirements.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
His stubbornness to stay in Australia may really cost him. I don't know why he doesn't just leave and never go back. He can compete at other majors unless those countries impose vaxx requirements.
From his perspective, he has done everything right (or right enough). He likely sees himself as the victim. He's not passing up his most successful major unless forced to do so. He wasn't candid about traveling? His agent made an error. Unlikely they crucify Jesus for that.

He's rich enough and powerful enough that he can ignore the rules. That's the way the world works these days. Just ask that Czech doubles player who practically no one has ever heard of....nor will again.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^

Raises red flags galore including whether Nole is even operating in good faith, but is there really sufficient evidence for Australia to act upon it? One might think even the Serbian government might find this a highly questionable chain of events. But would they pursue it when it's their national treasure who is involved?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
this is just getting more and more ridiculous

edit: addition of detailed explanation of the above tweet

This thread about the time stamps is damning. I can't imagine the Serbian government doing anything about it but the ATP needs to get involved. You can't allow people to present fraudulent documents.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
From The Guardian:

Meanwhile, Marton Fucsovics of Hungary became one of the first players to publicly disagree with Djokovic’s presence in Australia. The 29-year-old Hungarian described Djokovic as the greatest player in the sport and underlined the respect he has for the No 1.

“However, we must not go beyond what is happening in the world now,” he said, speaking with M1, a Hungarian TV channel. “People’s health is paramount, and there are rules that were outlined months ago, namely that everyone should vaccinate themselves, and Djokovic didn’t. From this point of view, I don’t think he would have the right to be here.”

Andy thinks Nole needs to answer some questions, too. So much for collegial solidarity. The water seems to be getting hotter.

Reactions: Tuggy

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Lol, in all of this, Nick Kyrgios says this:

Last person I would have expected to defend Novak.

I think he's clearly made up stuff/bending rules in order to attend the AO and I can't support this behavior. However, I do find it funny that people act like this changes their opinion of him. You didn't like him before, so let's not pretend your moral stance has all of a sudden changed.

And no, it won't impact how he is viewed as a player on the court just like it won't for Tom Brady (publicly supporting Novak) or Aaron Rogers.

P.S. I hope Novak's kids are vaccinated with MMR/Polio/Hep B etc., but knowing his stance re: all vaccines, they are probably not. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino