Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Judge agrees with Prosecutor that Australia has a low bar for rescending questionable visas.

Adjourned until 11:30 pm our time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Complicated.

The judge halts Nole's visa cancellation. The decision at the border is revoked. However, the Australian government may refuse entry if it chooses to object on other grounds. It remains to be seen if the federal government will do so, but as Nole remains unvaccinated the question remains wide open.

If the federal government pursues denying Nole entrance into the country, which the judge said it might choose to do, then more appeals will undoubtedly follow as, under that circumstance, Nole could be banned from Australia for three years. With the draw coming up soon, Nole could simply run out of time to resolve these issues.

“In a view, the stakes have risen rather than receded,” the judge said.

Like I said, complicated.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just reading over some of the early reaction from Australian newspapers and electronic media, the case is in great danger of becoming even more of a political football than it was. What will Prime Minister Morrison now do, now that the judge has ruled basically that Nole wasn't treated fairly at the border. He and his party have pretty much painted themselves into a corner, They can now react unilateraly to further attempt to keep Nole out of the country, but many local sources are now assuming Djokovic is good to go in the Open. One way or the other, Morrison will piss off somebody, not what someone facing an approaching election wants to do. It is hard to see him backing down. Still, he is sort of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't now.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If they don't kick him out of Australia they are going to have to hire a ton of security at the Aussie Open. I feel sorry for his opponents who are going to be in a hostile setting.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

He may have been arrested again!

His dad says he has!

Meanwhile, Kyrgios tested positive and is likely out of the Open.

Also, he knew he tested positive hours after his test and still went to that maskless event with all those kids. What a pig.

Last edited:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
yeah this is a complete mess

essentially from what I can make of it

Dec 10th - deadline to register for exemptions to play in the AO
Dec 16th - Djokovic tests positive for COVID gets the results at 8pm local time, had attended a ceremony for a stamps release in his honour earlier that day. Day 0 of 14 day isolation period for COVID under Serbian law. [unix data shows this test took place on Dec 26th]
Dec 17th - Djokovic attends an event at a school (Day 1)
Dec 18th - Djokovic does photoshoot with a French magazine (Day 2)
Dec 22nd - Djokovic tests negative (Day 6)[the unix data matches]
Dec 25th - Djokovic plays street tennis in Belgrade (Day 9)
Dec 26th - Positive test with Djokovic details is recorded on Serbia's testing database, the date on the test shows the 16th
Dec 30th - Tennis Australia bends/breaks their deadline rule specifically to allow an exemption for Djokovic to play (Day 13)
Dec 31st - Djokovic practicing in Spain (Day 14)
Jan 1st - Djokovic mandated isolation period under Serbian law is over.
Jan 4th - Djokovic boards flight to Australia
Jan 5th - Detained by immigration
Jan 6th - Early hours is told he has until 8:30 to present case, Visa is cancelled 7:42, Djokovic lawyers appeal

Jan 7th-9th - Various accusations thrown around regarding whose fault the issue is. From what has been made public, the Australian Federal govt, told Tennis Australia what the entry conditions were, Tennis Australia then provided vague information to players which can be interpreted in a different way, and when asking for exemptions from State govt, do not pass on the guidance they received from the Federal Govt.

Jan 10th - Court rules Visa was incorrectly cancelled due to process not being followed correctly on Jan 6th, from what I can see on the ruling what they didn't say was that he met the requirements to entire Australia.
The Federal govt. indicated during the hearing that even if the Visa was re-instated it could still be cancelled again.
QR Code on the test result filed by Novak shows negative result when followed (evidenced by Der Spiegel and NYT)

Jan 11th - Court docs released showing incorrect information regarding travel was provided on entry forms. States had't travelled to another country within last 14 days.
QR Code on the test result filed by Novak now shows positive result when followed
A german collective zerforschung analyse the details available from the URLs of the tests Djokovic has provided and find inconsistencies, the 'positive test' from the 16th appears to actually have been recorded into the database that holds the testing data on the 26th, the negative test from the 22nd matches for being recorded on the 22nd.

If i've missed anything can someone fill in the gaps for me

edit: added travel to Spain and declaration to customs
edit2: added covid result contradictions
edit3: added information regarding Serbian law for isolation and public events attended
edit4: zerforschung investigation into data around testing summarised and added

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Reports of his father saying he was arrested may not be true. There is police presence at the law office and the white van may have just brought his luggage.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the Feds have only a four hour window to re- Revoke his visa, so we should know definitively soon.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The Serbian woman who is talking to his father is wrong. She has a blue checkmark and seems to be a mouthpiece for the family after reading subsequent tweets from her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So much for any four hour window..No decision today. And I would guess the longer the delay goes on, the better Nole's chances of staying. The conservative opposition is having a field day with this and who can blame them, saying if Nole is deported now after the judge's ruling, Australia will be little more than a banana republic. One suspects the delay is to allow Morrison to check the public opinion polls. We have reached full Monty Python territory.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I read that the 4 hour window was when they were allowed to re-interview him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Opinion of Novak is formed and cemented either way at this point. I think he is a blithering idiot and likely a massive narcissist. But I am team chaos and want to see the crowd reactions to him.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Opinion of Novak is formed and cemented either way at this point. I think he is a blithering idiot and likely a massive narcissist. But I am team chaos and want to see the crowd reactions to him.

I agree with Kihei that the longer this goes, the less chance there is of him getting thrown out of the country. What's going to be interesting is what he does before the tourney, like will he try to get support back on his side by donating a ton of money to a charity or something. And how will Tennis Australia deal with it. Extra security is a given but will they have rules about people bringing in signs denouncing him?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy Murray was right. This is bad for tennis. If Nole was a polarizing figure before, that's chump change compared to what he will become now if reports of his irresponsibility with Covid back home are true.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What would be the cherry atop the volcano is if he played the tournament and won the thing.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If Roger had done something like this, I would be done with cheering for him. I really can't think of another athlete who would do something like this. If Sidney Crosby did this, there is no way Canadians would overwhelmingly support him.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I say this as a vaccinated person (and what a shame that everything needs to be qualified this way), but I honestly don’t get the hatred he is receiving. He asked for an exception, it appears he was granted one. It appears it was erroneously and illegally canceled. A judge appeared to have stated as such.

what am I missing? He’s unlikeable so he doesn’t deserve a court ruling in his favor? Seriously, what am I missing?

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I say this as a vaccinated person (and what a shame that everything needs to be qualified this way), but I honestly don’t get the hatred he is receiving. He asked for an exception, it appears he was granted one. It appears it was erroneously and illegally canceled. A judge appeared to have stated as such.

what am I missing? He’s unlikeable so he doesn’t deserve a court ruling in his favor? Seriously, what am I missing?

That he could just get a vaccine and not throw a tantrum

Reactions: Sombastate

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
That he could just get a vaccine and not throw a tantrum

he didn’t, though. And clearly he is well within his legal rights do so. So what? Are we advocating for the rule of law to just no longer exist for unvaccinated people?

hes obviously an ass. But that was before Covid. He’s obviously a narcissist. Again, nothing new.

the amount of people I see wishing ill on a human being because he is unvaccinated is just downright gross.

and the people wishing ill on him were already doing so before the walking around with covid thing came to light.

I’m not a Joker fan (big Fed and Murray fan), but the lack of humanity in some of these people. My god

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The quotes you see from some of his family members are bizarre. Bunch of lunatics.

Is the chance at one more Grand Slam title really worth looking like an ignorant egomaniac? Whatever it takes, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad