Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's been two hours since Papa Nole's statement, and I can see large groups of Serbians gathering in the streets of downtown Toronto ready for battle....or, maybe, that's a hockey crowd.

Sep 19, 2008
PlSQ1tD4lxMh0ZUEN_9v8Z1omJ8xAYqJqx9xfFzMnW8.jpg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Somehow I doubt this is the end of this.
Probably not, but it is hard to see Aussie politicians compromising now. At the best of times I don't think Aussies have any tolerance for queue jumpers. Just not fair dinkum.

Reactions: Beau Knows

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
The rules are the rules, so I don't question the right of the Australian government to make this decision, but wow, they could have told him before he got on the plane.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Where this thing may have real feet is not so much on Nole per se but on how those two "blind" adjudication committees reasoned this player deserved an exemption. I think the decision to grant an exemption is what will really be under the microscope now in Australia.

Reactions: Beau Knows

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The rules are the rules, so I don't question the right of the Australian government to make this decision, but wow, they could have told him before he got on the plane.
My guess is that Nole's team reasoned that with the exemption they were safe to apply for a visa. What they may have not figured was that Nole would have to justify the exemption at the border. Like, "oh, you want proof???"

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Djokovic never said it was a medical exemption in his tweet. I think he knew that he and his camp were trying to get through on different grounds.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
All this could have been avoided if he simply got the vaccine.

It's his choice not to which is fine but it's also Australia's choice to kick him the F out because he doesn't meet vaccine requirements that regular people have to abide by. The fact that he, and his "team", even pushed it this far is asinine. He's just looking worse and worse the last few years, chopping away at his legacy little by little.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Christine Brennan was on CNN about 15 minutes ago and blasted him with a big smile on her face. I was quite surprised.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Srdan wants to take to the streets does he? I for one would love to see that... Trying to behave here. It's tough...

Just get vaccinated you idiot... like the rest of the tour members have to do.

Oct 18, 2006
Pretty sad state the word is in. Very, very sad. Don’t think people realise what’s actually happening.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Srdan wants to take to the streets does he? I for one would love to see that... Trying to behave here. It's tough...

Just get vaccinated you idiot... like the rest of the tour members have to do.

Or if you choose not to, don't say for the last year "it's my personal, private medical decision." and then humblebrag the fact that you got an exemption to play in the Australian Open. Talk about a hypocrite.

Pretty sad state the word is in. Very, very sad. Don’t think people realise what’s actually happening.

What's that?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
While Novak should have been more transparent about why he received a visa under these circumstances, now the shoe has to be on the other foot--Australian officials need to provide information about why Nole has been denied playing in the Open while other players with a medical excmption will play? What suddenly made his case different once he got to the border? This decision has to be based on more than a visa technicality, so what is the reason?

Cruor

May 12, 2012
While Novak should have been more transparent about why he received a visa under these circumstances, now the shoe has to be on the other foot--Australian officials need to provide information about why Nole has been denied playing in the Open while other players with a medical excmption will play? What suddenly made his case different once he got to the border? This decision has to be based on more than a visa technicality, so what is the reason?

Who has been allowed to play with an exemption? Tennys Sandgren had the good decency to not seek a medical exemption. We know that the Indian kid didn't get one since he couldn't get vaccinated.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who has been allowed to play with an exemption? Tennys Sandgren had the good decency to not seek a medical exemption. We know that the Indian kid didn't get one since he couldn't get vaccinated.
I don't know who specifically has been allowed to play as I don't think that information has been released. I'm going on this line from The Guardian: "Tiley said 26 people associated with the Australian Open applied for a medical exemption to come to the tournament, but only a handful were granted." So it appears some players other than Nole have received such an exemption.

Last edited:

Cruor

May 12, 2012
I don't know who specifically has been allowed to play as I don't think that information has been released. I'm going on this line from The Guardian: "Tiley said 26 people associated with the Australian Open applied for a medical exemption to come to the tournament, but only a handful were granted." So it appears some players other than Nole have received such an exemption.

Okay so could it be that Djokovic's so called exemption was...bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad