Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Man, Djoko should just take the L and move on bro… you’re angering more people at this point and not doing yourself any favors. Not a good look at all. It’s like him and his team are doubling down on something that clearly they’re wrong about.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is Pospisil not playing at the Aussie Open? He seems to be tweeting from The Bahamas.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Man, Djoko should just take the L and move on bro… you’re angering more people at this point and not doing yourself any favors. Not a good look at all. It’s like him and his team are doubling down on something that clearly they’re wrong about.

Ego, ego, ego, ego with a nice mixture of dumb, hardened belief.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
15 unforced errors for Denis in the first five games but he is still miraculously on serve with Carreno Nuts 3-2

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tense match. Denis was sloppy but won all the big points when he had to, that is, until he got broken for 4-3 in the second set. But then he immediately broke back and held on for the win. A performance of extremes but a big, big win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix living dangerously against RBA, but still on serve. Could be such a big win for him if he can finish out the team victory.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It is always the same with Denis and Felix. Can their first serves, their athleticism and their sometimes brilliant shot-making overcome a tidal wave of sloppy unforced errors.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set goes to a tie breaker and Felix raises his game and takes it 7-3. On one point, he pinnied RBA in the backhand corner and pummeled him with shot after shot on the line until RBA eventually missed.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Felix we have been dreaming of showed up in the third set and dominated RBA, serving out the match at love. This has got to be the greatest moment in Canadian tennis, a monumental win over the rest of the world including Germany, Russia and and now Spain.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Great to see, thanks for the updates (I was asleep :laugh: )

Hopefully they can carry this momentum into next week.

Maybe not an ATP title, but maybe a monkey off the back moment for Felix?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The Felix we have been dreaming of showed up in the third set and dominated RBA, serving out the match at love. This has got to be the greatest moment in Canadian tennis, a monumental win over the rest of the world including Germany, Russia and and now Spain.
Second set, go get some sleep :)

Felix sure doesn't make it easy, does he?

member 305909

If Djokovic has actually entered Australia only to be turned away either he has been very lazy about finding out about the rules or the Australian authorities have promised him that he is exempt from the restrictions but now they have broken that promise.

My guess is on the latter option.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Djokovic has actually entered Australia only to be turned away either he has been very lazy about finding out about the rules or the Australian authorities have promised him that he is exempt from the restrictions but now they have broken that promise.

My guess is on the latter option.
Depends which Australian authorities that you mean. The Feds wrote two letters to Tennis Australia asserting their position concerning what wouldn't be allowed (recent Covid) exposure) and TA either ignored them or failed to read them. Certainly the Feds and Victoria got political and turned this fiasco into a major diplomatic incident. But I think it is TA that is most responsible for what initially happened.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I woke up early to watch most of the second match. Definitely worth screwing up my sleep schedule for.

I'd still put Bianaca's USO win as the top Canadian tennis moment, but, hard to think of as anything comparable on the men's side. My hope is that one of these guys can put together some grand slam titles, that this isn't the highlight of their careers (as nice as it is).

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I woke up early to watch most of the second match. Definitely worth screwing up my sleep schedule for.

I'd still put Bianaca's USO win as the top Canadian tennis moment, but, hard to think of as anything comparable on the men's side. My hope is that one of these guys can put together some grand slam titles, that this isn't the highlight of their careers (as nice as it is).
I stand corrected. Bianca's win is definitely #1 in Canadian tennis history.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tony's advice may really be kicking in. Felix used dropped shots effectively, threw in a few near moon balls, and, most importantly, began to really integrate a slice backhand into his arsenal. Against Zverev, he sometimes hit the shot amateurishly and it still flomoxed Sascha, totally messed with his rhythm and gave him something else to think about in terms of spin and bounce. The slice was effective against RBA, too. As it gets better, it will make Felix much more difficult to play against.

The other notable change came in the first set tie breaker and gained momentum throughout the second set. Felix started truly believing that he had this guy. You could tell that as the second set wore on and his confidence built. RBA knew it, too, and he looked more and more like a beaten man as the set progressed. Hopefully these changes will be transformative.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hearing in session. Judge asks "What more could this man (Nole) have done?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad