Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That Next Gen tournament in Milan must be really important to the young guys. Three of them--Coric, Chung and Fritz--have made the Winston-Salem quarters.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
FAA played his first match this morning since his tough loss in qualifying, he's playing a CH in Italy (red clay).

He won in straight sets and is moving closer to the top 200.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
FAA played his first match this morning since his tough loss in qualifying, he's playing a CH in Italy (red clay).

He won in straight sets and is moving closer to the top 200.

It's amazing that he's ranked as high as he is given not just his age, but that he's missed so much time this year.

If he stays healthy for the remaining season, I'm wondering how high he can climb. If he can get another Challenger win or two under his belt it would be great.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's amazing that he's ranked as high as he is given not just his age, but that he's missed so much time this year.

If he stays healthy for the remaining season, I'm wondering how high he can climb. If he can get another Challenger win or two under his belt it would be great.

And he *just* turned 17 (earlier this month). The only thing that can hold him back is injuries/health. He is already 6'3 (hopefully doesn't grow too much more :laugh: ) and hits the **** out of the ball. The sky is the limit and I truly believe he is a future #1.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
And he *just* turned 17 (earlier this month). The only thing that can hold him back is injuries/health. He is already 6'3 (hopefully doesn't grow too much more :laugh: ) and hits the **** out of the ball. The sky is the limit and I truly believe he is a future #1.

The most exciting thing right now is that if both Shapovalov and FAA live up to their potential right now, their friendship may be the strong basis of a friendly competitive rivalry between the two of them to push them along.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The most exciting thing right now is that if both Shapovalov and FAA live up to their potential right now, their friendship may be the strong basis of a friendly competitive rivalry between the two of them to push them along.
And maybe a killer doubles team. A Davis Cup would be a fine thing indeed (might as well dream big).

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
And maybe a killer doubles team. A Davis Cup would be a fine thing indeed (might as well dream big).

Agreed. Assuming FAA catches up in ranking, they'll likely both be at the same events soon, and can start hitting the doubles circuit. I think they probably expected to be at challenger level events this year together, but Denis surpassed that level quicker than anticipated.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Look's like Felix is out. Too bad. I think we're all eager for him to catch up to Denis, but need to remember how young he is.

Yup he lost in straight sets. I only got to catch the last couple of games.

He is scheduled to play another clay CH next week in Seville.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Felix won his first round match in Seville this morning.

I was following the scores and it became a much closer match than it should have. Felix was serving for the match in the second before being broken twice in a row.
All a learning experience at this stage though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not the noms I was expecting. We'll see if Vasek is good to go:

I was following the scores and it became a much closer match than it should have. Felix was serving for the match in the second before being broken twice in a row.
All a learning experience at this stage though.

Definitely a lot to learn.

He'll play his second round match tomorrow.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Is Peter Polansky injured? He would be my guess. Also, Felix is just a few spots below Schnur, and is probably better than his ranking suggests.

Not sure how often we'll be able to put our best lineup out there, but, when Raonic is healthy, Canada will really have a hell of a lineup. Great one-two punch with good doubles talent.

Other question is how Pospisil is doing after his USO back issues. Losing him, and it's actually a little worrisome.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Is Peter Polansky injured? He would be my guess. Also, Felix is just a few spots below Schnur, and is probably better than his ranking suggests.

Not sure how often we'll be able to put our best lineup out there, but, when Raonic is healthy, Canada will really have a hell of a lineup. Great one-two punch with good doubles talent.

Other question is how Pospisil is doing after his USO back issues. Losing him, and it's actually a little worrisome.

Not sure what the story is on Polansky. I was expecting to see him on the squad. We'll see if Vasek can play though.

Speaking of Felix, his second round match today is scheduled for around 1EST. It will be streamed on the ATP site (Challenger section).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So looks like Murray is pretty done for the year, he just announced this morning.

Brought up an interesting conversation on MTF about the Aussie Open and how the draw will be very fun to see.

Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Nishikori and Raonic (he may still play this season) will have ranks anywhere from 8-25 so we could see some really tough draws.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just tuning in now. Felix won the first set and was up a break 4-3 but was just broken. 4-4

Felix wins the 2nd set tiebreak!

One win away from the top 200!

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I was worried that he was going to let it turn to a 3 setter again.

Good for him. Although, with Challenger circuit, probably needs another round or two before the tournament is a break even venture.

As for nearing the top 200 ranking, it's extremely impressive. I'm sure at the beginning of the year, being in the top 200 would have been a reasonable goal. He'll blow by that soon it looks like.

It really is a shame he missed the Rogers Cup. That's the one major tournament where he could get a main draw exception.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I was worried that he was going to let it turn to a 3 setter again.

Good for him. Although, with Challenger circuit, probably needs another round or two before the tournament is a break even venture.

As for nearing the top 200 ranking, it's extremely impressive. I'm sure at the beginning of the year, being in the top 200 would have been a reasonable goal. He'll blow by that soon it looks like.

It really is a shame he missed the Rogers Cup. That's the one major tournament where he could get a main draw exception.

Should be even stronger and better next year for the Rogers Cup.

Tough test tomorrow in Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad