Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Next Rogers Cup, maybe those who are interested (and in the area) should pick a session early in the week and we all watch it together. Sounds like fun to me.

Definitely something to look into. I actually have a fair amount of family that are big tennis fans, that I've finally convinced that they should check out with me next year. I try to emphasize to people that you really don't want to miss it when the Men play in Toronto in a non Olympic year, as that's the highest calibre you're going to ever get.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I've gone to the Rogers Cup by myself as well.

Would definitely be open to a HFBoards Rogers Cup get-together next year.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Updated ATP Race standings:

1 Rafael Nadal 31.2 ESP1 9365
2 Roger Federer 36 SUI1 7505
3 Alexander Zverev 20.3 GER1 4220
4 Dominic Thiem 24 AUT1 3715
5 Stan Wawrinka 32.4 SUI2 3150
6 Grigor Dimitrov 26.3 BUL1 3105
7 Marin Čilić 28.9 CRO1 2995
8 Pablo Carreño Busta 26.1 ESP2 2595
9 Novak Djokovic 30.3 SRB1 2585
10 Sam Querrey 29.9 USA1 2435
11 Kevin Anderson 31.3 RSA1 2335
12 Andy Murray 30.3 GBR1 2290
13 David Goffin 26.7 BEL1 2080

Considering Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray are all out you currently have PCB and Querrey as the last two entrants and Anderson as the first alternate :amazed:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just tuning into Felix's first round match in Banja Luka.

He's rolling along up a set and just got a second break in the second with a beauty drop shot, 3-0.

And he makes quick work of it taking the second set 6-1.

Rola had no answer for his power.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
He keeps rolling along.

I'm curious to how it works for a player like Felix, who's so young. Is he travelling to these tournaments on his own, or does a parent or guardian go with him? Does he have a full time coach that travels with him?

He's on the challenger circuit now, which at least provides a shot and covering expenses, but, what resources does Tennis Canada provide? From what I've understood about Tennis Canada, that in the past decade, they've done a lot more to pair tennis prospects with coaching and other resources. But, when does that stop?

Mainly, I'm amazed at his success, but also wonder how the logistics work for a 17 year old playing in pro tournaments in different continents.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
So, looks like Serena lives in Maria's head rent free. It's no surprise the H2H is so lopsided.

Seen a couple dozen excerpts/twitter posts of her book. Over 100 times she mentions Serena by name and she complains about Serena trying to distract opponents by being outspoken on the court (all while ignoring her own banshee wails, turning her back to the server to make them wait). And of course she tries to marginalize Serena with the tried and tested body shaming commenting about her physique. And she says Serena only falls down when missing a shot to try and discredit her opponent. Etc, etc, etc....

Par for the course but still revealing.

2z9fzgl.jpg

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Next Rogers Cup, maybe those who are interested (and in the area) should pick a session early in the week and we all watch it together. Sounds like fun to me.

That would be awesome. I want to get out to a session, but my wife can't stand tennis, and I wouldn't dream of trying to take my kids.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That would be awesome. I want to get out to a session, but my wife can't stand tennis, and I wouldn't dream of trying to take my kids.

Not sure how old your kids are, but I've taken mine to the qualifying rounds, which hasn't worked out well. They do a lot of kids activities on the grounds.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is Nestor/Shapovalov the largest age gap between members of Davis Cup team? If Felix joins the team next year, they can beat that as well.
Wasn't Borg 14 or 15 when he first played Davis Cup? Sweden might be tough to beat on that score.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Abanda into her first WTA QF with a win last night in Quebec City. She'll also move up to a career high ranking.

17 year old Andreescu still alive in this tournament aswell. She'll play her 2nd round match today.

Felix will be taking on Gimeno-Traver today in about 2 hours. Tough matchup against a vet on clay but Felix is in great form.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Wasn't Borg 14 or 15 when he first played Davis Cup? Sweden might be tough to beat on that score.

I'm thinking the 45 year old Nestor is the bigger rarity. There's probably not a lot of history of guys playing that age. If Felix and Nestor end up on the team together next year, that's a 28 year age gap. It's 27 with Shapovalov.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
They are on court, Felix up 1-0.

ATP Challenger Tour | ATP World Tour | Tennis

Streamed here!

Tough hold, fights off a break point. 2-1 on serve.

Felix, down 15-40, managed to save the first but not the second break point. Down 2-3. Hasn't really done much damage on Gimeno-Traver's serve.

Gimeno-Traver consolidates the break. Felix down 2-4.

Felix holds at love. 3-4. Let's see if he can get into this return game.

And he does with a couple of big returns! Break at love! And looks pumped 4-4

Felix follows up the break with an easy hold, 5-4. Gimeno-Traver will serve to stay in the set.

Easy hold for Gimeno-Traver, 5-5.

Quick hold for Felix, 6-5.

Crowd starting to grow a little...from 5 to 10 maybe lol

And Felix gets the break! 7-5 first set!

Second set underway and a couple of aces for Felix and he holds easy, 1-0.

I'm wondering if he can take this match over now.

Gimeno-Traver holds, 1-1.

Quick hold at love for Felix. 2-1.

Great get from Felix at 30-30 to get a break point and he converts right away thanks to a shank from Gimeno-Traver. Felix up a break 3-1.

Felix consolidates the break with a nice overhead to finish the game. 4-1.

Quick hold from Gimeno-Traver, 4-2.

Gutsy drop shot by Felix to save break point, beauty shot. Deuce.

Long service game but he gets the hold. 5-2.

Gimeno-Traver holds, 5-3. Felix will have a chance to serve it out.

And he holds at love!

7-5 6-3 final

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Another win under his belt. Looks like the top seed lost, who would have been his next opponent, so he gets a 29 year old journeyman.

There's no easy matches, but, Felix should be okay as long as he maintains his current level of play.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished watching Felix's match against Arnaboldi. Felix lost in straight sets.

Definitely not the same player I saw yesterday. Sloppy/loose points and errors. Looks tired to me, which wouldn't be surprising given the last couple weeks.

He'll have a couple of weeks off before the Challenger in Stockton.

Still a successful stint on the CH clay run, up to 161 in live rankings.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Just finished watching Felix's match against Arnaboldi. Felix lost in straight sets.

Definitely not the same player I saw yesterday. Sloppy/loose points and errors. Looks tired to me, which wouldn't be surprising given the last couple weeks.

He'll have a couple of weeks off before the Challenger in Stockton.

Still a successful stint on the CH clay run, up to 161 in live rankings.

Hard to complain about the last few weeks coming back from injury.

With his European matches done, is there any way for him to be pulled into Davis Cup if he's needed. The fact that we're relying on Schnur in singles and Pospisil with a bad back, if he flies in tomorrow, could he be subbed in on Sunday?

I don't know the rules around substitutions.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Hard to complain about the last few weeks coming back from injury.

With his European matches done, is there any way for him to be pulled into Davis Cup if he's needed. The fact that we're relying on Schnur in singles and Pospisil with a bad back, if he flies in tomorrow, could he be subbed in on Sunday?

I don't know the rules around substitutions.

Dancevic is there and I'm pretty sure Peliwo is aswell. If Schnur has a rough go today, then I'd bet we'd see Dancevic on Sunday.

I'm not sure the rules exactly, but that would be a lot to ask of a 17 year old.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Dancevic is there and I'm pretty sure Peliwo is aswell. If Schnur has a rough go today, then I'd bet we'd see Dancevic on Sunday.

I'm not sure the rules exactly, but that would be a lot to ask of a 17 year old.

It would, but, given his success right now, he's probably Canada's 4th best singles player already. But, him losing a winnable match today probably has a lot to physical and mental fatigue, so you have a point.

Dancevic is a good person to have on standby.

I'm a little worried about the tie. For India, this is a good shot to get to the world group. For Canada, with where Shapovalov and Felix are, and with vets like Nestor, Pospisil and Raonic around, Canada could do well next year, but, could waste that chance if they're toiling in the lower levels.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It would, but, given his success right now, he's probably Canada's 4th best singles player already. But, him losing a winnable match today probably has a lot to physical and mental fatigue, so you have a point.

Dancevic is a good person to have on standby.

I'm a little worried about the tie. For India, this is a good shot to get to the world group. For Canada, with where Shapovalov and Felix are, and with vets like Nestor, Pospisil and Raonic around, Canada could do well next year, but, could waste that chance if they're toiling in the lower levels.

It's definitely not a gimmie. But I like our chances indoors and at home. I think the surface and atmosphere is in our favour.

Hopefully it's a good crowd in Edmonton.

First match starts at 5 EST on SN1.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's definitely not a gimmie. But I like our chances indoors and at home. I think the surface and atmosphere is in our favour.

Shapovalov is our ace this time around, but, even with his great runs recently, it's scary to be relying so heavily on a teenager.

If Schnur can get the victory today, there isn't much path for India to come back.

India is one country that you know will have a good doubles game, and, I'm worried about Pospisils back. I'm sure he wouldn't play if he's not able, but when 45 year old Nestor is the healthy one, that's a concern.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Awesome, I can nap first!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur loses the second set in a tiebreak. Tough set to drop, he was the better player. Lots of chances to break. Just needs to keep playing his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->