Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
A quick question to all fellow tennis fans in this forum. Is this current era (let's say 2005 onwards) the greatest in men's tennis history? I mean you have 3 guys who won 12+ majors, with two of them being top 2 on that list.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A quick question to all fellow tennis fans in this forum. Is this current era (let's say 2005 onwards) the greatest in men's tennis history? I mean you have 3 guys who won 12+ majors, with two of them being top 2 on that list.

I would say yes. To have three all-timers at the same time including the best and second best ever pushing each other is something you rarely see in sports.

Reactions: GOATofGOATs1987

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yes, definitely. I would add to Hadoop's comment that the fact that the Federal/Nadal/Djokovic generation of Top Ten players has dominated two generations of players (their own gen and the lost gen) and, collectively well into their 30's, may be doing the same to a third generation (or, at least, certainly impeding its progress) is evidence of this era's golden nature. From a more general perspective, I would add a point that I have made before: forget the Big Five, it took forever for the new generations to dislodge Tomas Berdych from the Top Ten, let alone the players ahead of him. Tsonga hung on for a long time as well.

Another more subtle point about this era as a whole is look also at the players in their 30s who are blossoming right now as late bloomers: Anderson, Bautista Agut, Mischa Zverev--it was less than a year ago that everyone in the Top Ten was over 30 years of age. That speaks to the dominance of the F/N/D era of players, as well

Finally, Medvedev, Garcia Lopez, Dolgopolov, Paire, Tsonga, Fritz, and De Minaur are all ranked 60 or lower at the moment. No other era had anything approaching depth like that. Not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOATofGOATs1987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad