Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I know the rules are pretty rigid for a reason, but it seems silly that Shapovalov couldn't play Cincinnati because he was registered in the Vancouver Challenger (I believe that is the rationale, but someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With so many big names dropping out, he could have been enough of a story to generate some additional interest for what should be a pretty significant tournament.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great win for Zverev. Don't see him contending for the USO though, at least not this year - reason being he has yet to prove that he has the fitness required to sustain his level of play over 5 sets.
His fans better hope that he loses his first match in Cincy if they want to see him go deep in New York.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In the Next Gen race to Milan, Shapovalov is currently in 4th spot, only ten points behind Coric. Zverev has already clinched a spot and is leading the field by a mile, and Khachanov is in second place. Pretty impressive for Denis.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
No WC for Shapovalov for the USO. He'll have to go through qualifying. Not surprised at all. France and Australia automatically get one but the rest all went to Americans. I don't blame them at all.

And as you can see Sharapova gets a WC. If there was one major that would give her a WC, it was going to be this one.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
No WC for Shapovalov for the USO. He'll have to go through qualifying. Not surprised at all. France and Australia automatically get one but the rest all went to Americans. I don't blame them at all.

Just saw this. Qualifying it is for Denis.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic just dropped out of Cincy aswell. Another LL into the second round without playing a match :laugh:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another one bites the bust:

Murray will probably be next.

The US Open is going to be interesting. We could see a random champion :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It will probably come down to Roger and Rafa again.
Rafa still hasn't won a hard court tournament since January, 2014 and that was a 250 (Doha). Roger's back may not be at 100%. Just could be Gulbis' year. :laugh: (of course, he has to get in to the tournament first). My long distance picks are Thiem in the men's and Svitolina in the women's. Might update those after Cincy, of course.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

He hasn't played in a while and things were going good for him. Glad to see he'll be back next week.

Would be awesome if him and Denis could get through qualifying.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

He hasn't played in a while and things were going good for him. Glad to see he'll be back next week.

Would be awesome if him and Denis could get through qualifying.

I've had some family members talking more about tennis recently with Shapovalovs run, and they were surprised by it obviously. I've been telling them that he's been on the radar for a bit, and that there's a guy coming behind him that shows the same type of promise.

It would be great for Felix to get some momentum. He'll need time to make up for his injury period, but, I think he can get to the ATP level events within a year or two like Denis has just reached, and once he does, the the can actually work together on the doubles circuit (apologies to kihei for any talk of doubles tennis).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Dimitrov will be back in the top 10 after his win today against Del Potro. This USO could be his chance! :laugh:

Or zombie Ferrer will rise and shock the world...

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Kyrgios up a set and a break against Nadal. Kyrgios finishes Nadal off.

No top 10 players left in the draw (not counting live rankings), and only Ferrer as a Masters winner.

Last edited:

Cruor

May 12, 2012
When is the last time Nadal won a tournament on HC?

Hard to see him winning the USO.

Doha 2014 (and has lost 8 finals since then, I think) as mentioned by Kihei. I thought Nadal looked great in the AO & the Sunshine Double earlier this year, certainly the best on hardcourt I've seen him since his monster performance in 2013.

Not sure what's up, but he is suspect against heavy hitters. With a good draw I wouldn't count him out, but I think people know they can beat him and dare to go for their shots more nowadays. You can see Rafa revert several meters behind the baseline when he is under pressure - he has the skill to play aggressive so I'm not quite sure why he doesn't.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Kyrgios throws in 3 DF's to help Dimitrov get the break to serve for the title. And he does it.

First MS1000 for Dimitrov.

Said earlier, why not him at the USO? He's 26 and maybe this is his time.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Can anyone explain why Nadal and Kyrgios had to play twice today?

EDIR: I meant yesterday

Rain. It cancelled the matches from the day before and they needed to keep on the rest of their schedule. So they finished the previous nights matches early on Friday and then played they regaular matches already scheduled for Friday Friday evening.

Happens frequently when it rains. Grand Slams have the luxury of a day off bewteen matches so those affected by rain generally don't have to play twice in a day, just two days in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad