Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Is Peter Polansky injured? He would be my guess. Also, Felix is just a few spots below Schnur, and is probably better than his ranking suggests.

Not sure how often we'll be able to put our best lineup out there, but, when Raonic is healthy, Canada will really have a hell of a lineup. Great one-two punch with good doubles talent.

Other question is how Pospisil is doing after his USO back issues. Losing him, and it's actually a little worrisome.

Polansky reportedly turned down the invite. As for Felix, my guess is that since he's currently playing in Europe Tennis Canada left him alone so he didn't have to come back here for the draw, then head back out.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Polansky reportedly turned down the invite. As for Felix, my guess is that since he's currently playing in Europe Tennis Canada left him alone so he didn't have to come back here for the draw, then head back out.

Interesting that Polansky turned it down, but, given the grind of the tour, it's understandable. I also wonder if there's any hard feelings about being passed over by Shapovalov in February against Great Britain.

I hope not, as, even though Canada has a pretty strong roster going forward, with guys like Pospisil and Raonic being so injury prone, it's good to have serviceable guys available.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Only scoreboard watching so not sure if Krajinovic is just serving very well or if Auger-Aliassime is having issues with reutrning today (which really could be the same thing), but he's only won 5 return points though a set and a half.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Felix had 2 BPs to go up 6-5 in the 2nd but couldn't convert, serving to stay in the match and take it to a tie-break now in the 2nd set. FAA takes the tiebreak 7-4 (winning 6 of the last 7 points), to send this match to a 3rd set.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Just score watching and checking out stream occasionally, but, Felix seemed to start strong, but is letting the match get away from him. Lost first set in tiebreaker, and down a break in second already.

Hopefully he can turn it around, but may be tough.

Edit: Down 3-0, he comes back and wins 2nd set 6-3. I'll take credit for the reverse jynx.

Heading into the third with the momentum.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
When I was 17, my greatest professional accomplishment was getting a job at Canadian Tire. Felix has two Challenger titles.

:laugh: McDonald's for me.

Up to 168 in the live rankings.

A good fall and he could have direct entry for the Aussie Open.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
:laugh: McDonald's for me.

Up to 168 in the live rankings.

A good fall and he could have direct entry for the Aussie Open.

With his performance in these clay tournaments, he could be poised for a nice run at the French Open, and just the clay court season in general.

Getting his rank up by the Australian may be tough, but, not impossible. But, I think it won't long into the 2018 season before he's put the Challenger circuit behind him.

Today seemed like a pretty good win. To lose the first set when you outplayed your opponent, and getting behind early, it's easy for anyone to lose focus, but he gutted out the win.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Literally not a single friend of mine watches Tennis. (and I always get defensive when they call it boring) Really wanted to go see Shapo @ Davis Cup here in Edmonton, but I'd rather not go alone. Haha.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Literally not a single friend of mine watches Tennis. (and I always get defensive when they call it boring) Really wanted to go see Shapo @ Davis Cup here in Edmonton, but I'd rather not go alone. Haha.

Last year, I couldn't line up any friends to go to the Rogers Cup with me, and went by myself. Best decision I could have made. I really wanted to go and support Canadian tennis while it's stronger than it's ever been. Got to see Raonic, Pospisil and Shapovalov play.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

When there is a meaningful match or concert I would rather go alone than with people who aren't fans.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, good news. I'm going. And not alone. ;) $40 for two singles matches was too good to pass on.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Next Rogers Cup, maybe those who are interested (and in the area) should pick a session early in the week and we all watch it together. Sounds like fun to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad