Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Got the coffee on...excited to watch my first live New Japan action. Okada-Omega III and the Premier League is back in action...going to be a fun morning.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Got the coffee on...excited to watch my first live New Japan action. Okada-Omega III and the Premier League is back in action...going to be a fun morning.

MVyaMdA.png

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
that was really good. step below their previous bouts but still excellent.

4.75 from me

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The guy who wrote the recap for F4W says it's better, in his opinion. Don't know how highly he felt about the first two. It sounds like they just came out and started hitting a ton of big moves, which made sense. But that's also why I like waiting a few days before deciding things like that.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Given they'd have half the time, it was definitely a match with less fat. Action per minute...it might've eclipsed the previous two there.

New Japan does such a great job storytelling with injuries from previous matches. The long-term story of Tanahashi's bicep has been so well done. With this tournament format and the short turnaround with matches...you can have a guy sell an injury from their previous match into the next match and it plays a part in the result.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The guy who wrote the recap for F4W says it's better, in his opinion. Don't know how highly he felt about the first two. It sounds like they just came out and started hitting a ton of big moves, which made sense. But that's also why I like waiting a few days before deciding things like that.
I think this was the best 30min match they could have, given the fact that they've already had the first two and it was the G1 Block final.

As for ranking them, it's arguing over which of the top three matches of the year you like the most. Which is a bit silly when all three matches are the same two guys in the same series of matches.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This match wasn't a title match like the other two but definitely had something at stake. It was far from a predictable match...either guy could've won even though the injury was a big factor.

With the finals coming up...I honestly see this one as a toss-up. Are there other big matches scheduled for Sunday?

(I'm being vague for a reason...assuming we're doing no spoilers?)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I wonder how bad Naito's shoulder is and if it leads to Omega somehow pulling off a second consecutive win. I doubt it, but that'd be something.

Omega/Okada, all three of them, are the three best matches of the entire year though.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
This match wasn't a title match like the other two but definitely had something at stake. It was far from a predictable match...either guy could've won even though the injury was a big factor.

With the finals coming up...I honestly see this one as a toss-up. Are there other big matches scheduled for Sunday?

(I'm being vague for a reason...assuming we're doing no spoilers?)
I'm not actually sure what the spoiler rules are for this thread. I think it's anything goes except TV-taping spoilers? I think if anyone wanted to avoid NJPW spoilers they'd just avoid this thread, it's not like we've got a bunch of threads like we have for WWE or anything.

As for matches tomorrow, the only two announced are the the Junior and Heavyweight tag title matches.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
insane match...
theyre gonna kill each other if the fight again. way to step it up.
would love the repeat for Omega. im fine whoever wins tomorrow....

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would love nothing more than for Omega to win tomorrow. He NEEDS to be the guy to take the title off of Okada, not Naito. If NJPW has any intentions of branching into the U.S., Omega is the guy to do it with.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
if they do omega/ibushi at wk, and i'm not sure they will or that it's the best idea, it has to be for the ic imo, which would allow tanahashi to bloody rest his body.

get the damn surgery tana and this is on.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I would love nothing more than for Omega to win tomorrow. He NEEDS to be the guy to take the title off of Okada, not Naito. If NJPW has any intentions of branching into the U.S., Omega is the guy to do it with.
nah m8 don't forget what the J in NJPW stands for. Naito is their most popular native star ATM and is drawing.

They have to tend to home turf first and foremost. 2500 a pop for G1 USA is great, but how many of those 2500 are gonna buy tickets to the Dome? It's not like they are rapidly expanding into the US, either, where they have plans to run monthly shows next year.

It would be ill advised book their home territory to try and appease Western fans when they can't even break 30 k in the Dome. Once that Dome number goes up, then fair game. Maybe it will this year with Naito/Okada & Ibushi/Omega.

tbh Omega's time to be HW Champion has come and gone for now. His time was Dominion, and they opted to give him G1 USA tournament and made up a championship for him instead. I think Omega got the short end of the stick, but they didn't want him to interrupt Okada's record reign.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't see Tanahashi missing the Tokyo Dome, either. But maybe after that he'll get surgery because then he could be back for G1.

I think they don't want Omega to be the champion unless he commits to New Japan long-term. For all his talk, the door has been kept open.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
A few hours behind but that finish was great. I had to believe Naito was going to win but they had me in suspense throughout. Such a great crowd...Naito is super over right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad