OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
From its inception through the 1980s the Expos were not “one of the poorest”, they in fact maintained top tier payroll.

Only happened in the 90s after US local cable TV revenue skyrocketed, which is why Bronfman sold the team as he saw it coming & knew Mtl has zero chance of competing w such incoming revenue stream, since Blue Jays had exclusive media rights in Canada from Belleville heading West, and of course the all important Southern Ontario horseshoe.

As for talent in pipeline, when Reggie Jackson refused to sign in Mtl as UFA in 1977, despite red carpet treatment, Bronfman quickly realized they needed a new strategy and started rewarding scouts & coaches through minor leagues with performance bonuses for finding & developing talent - something that remarkably never happened in MLB before that point
Thanks for this . It’s a part of their history I did not really know , being too young in the 70’s and the growing up first with hockey , really picked up on baseball in the late 80’s

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The government made an offer that Aubut found ridiculous. Instead, the money went to bigger priorities, such as Quebec independence.

Blame Aubut, not Quebec's independence. lol Parizeau was a good administrator. I think he would have managed the team better than any other NHL bozos, even without a new building. (The Pens kept the Igloo for a while) Aubut was too egocentric to let anybody else manage the team in Quebec.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Blame Aubut, not Quebec's independence. lol Parizeau was a good administrator. I think he would have managed the team better than any other NHL bozos, even without a new building. (The Pens kept the Igloo for a while) Aubut was too egocentric to let anybody else manage the team in Quebec.
I beg to differ. You must be a sovereignist. The same Parizeau said that they lost do to ethnic votes. Anyways, the PQ government wanted to manage the Expos just like it did for healthcare, education and transportation. We now see what years of neglect can do in order to advance an utopian ideal where had they succeeded the province would have been a US state today, just like Louisiana.

Jul 6, 2016
Expos' and Nordiques' returns are just huge pipe dreams. It will never happen.

When you have major league teams, you do everything to keep them.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Expos' and Nordiques' returns are just huge pipe dreams. It will never happen.

When you have major league teams, you do everything to keep them.
There’s nothing Mtl could’ve done to keep MLB in the longterm - just isn’t enough revenue generation capability to support $100M+ payroll. Toronto is the only economically capable market in Canada to do so.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I beg to differ. You must be a sovereignist. The same Parizeau said that they lost do to ethnic votes. Anyways, the PQ government wanted to manage the Expos just like it did for healthcare, education and transportation. We now see what years of neglect can do in order to advance an utopian ideal where had they succeeded the province would have been a US state today, just like Louisiana.

Damn seems like your obsession with that particular cause is giving you derangement syndrome. lol This has nothing to do with the Nordiques. It is everything about Aubut's Ego. Everybody knows it. Also Parizeau left after the referendum. So whatever neglect you think the PQ did, he was not there. Even those that disaproved of his cause respected him as an administrator.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Damn seems like your obsession with that particular cause is giving you derangement syndrome. lol This has nothing to do with the Nordiques. It is everything about Aubut's Ego. Everybody knows it. Also Parizeau left after the referendum. So whatever neglect you think the PQ did, he was not there. Even those that disaproved of his cause respected him as an administrator.
Seems like you might be a little b*** hurt about your 95 referendum loss. He was such a great administrator, he left in disgrace. Blame immigrants for your woes, what a class act. He was already prepared to sell everything in case of a YES win to the US as it was revealed already. The neglect began way back, ever since the PQ took power in 76. And Bourassa's Liberals promoted a nationalistic agenda which added more years of neglect to Quebec's infrastructure. Anyways, this is all politics and we have deviated from the subject at hand. Had the PQ gave money and didn't want to treat the Expos as another crown corporation, just like the Nordiques which is what they wanted Aubut to accept, we may still have had both franchises, I doubt the Expos would have survived though. The Nordiques, though, would be alive and well. Had the Expos being sold to Videotron or Bell, they may have been a huge success like the Jays. Even the Jays were bought after the PQ blocked the sale of Videotron to Rogers. Tax payers down the drain once again. You paid Rogers penalties to buy the only MLB franchise left in the country. Oh well......Let's blame the owners.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Seems like you might be a little b*** hurt about your 95 referendum loss. He was such a great administrator, he left in disgrace. Blame immigrants for your woes,

What the Hell is the connection? Makes no sense. OJ Simpson was still a great Football player.

Anyways, this is all politics and we have deviated from the subject at hand.

Cause you brought it up.

Had the PQ gave money and didn't want to treat the Expos as another crown corporation, just like the Nordiques which is what they wanted Aubut to accept, we may still have had both franchises,

Aubut wanted a new arena without any garantees. And this was a time when there was no cap in the NHL. Egocentric Aubut wanted to be the King of Quebec and no one else.

I doubt the Expos would have survived though. The Nordiques, though, would be alive and well. Had the Expos being sold to Videotron or Bell, they may have been a huge success like the Jays.

That would have been a dream but nobody stepped up. At the time of the Nords, it was still old man Péladeau that was in charge of Quebecor and he was not interested in sport. He said people being involved in sport is just a way to brag about to their friends. (he was not entirely wrong)

Even the Jays were bought after the PQ blocked the sale of Videotron to Rogers. Tax payers down the drain once again. You paid Rogers penalties to buy the only MLB franchise left in the country. Oh well......Let's blame the owners.

Nothing wrong in wanting to keep an industry in the area it came about. That's how Quebecor was able to grow and get a bigger footprint in the province.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Classic Montreal, even NHL UFAs refuse to come here.

Vegas is probably their premium destination. I would think they would like to go to Puerto Rico, given many players are born there. Montreal is last on the list.
Puerto Rico is probably too much travel time though. Not sure the players association would like it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Puerto Rico is probably too much travel time though. Not sure the players association would like it.
Given many players are born there!?

How many MLB Puerto Rico players, just for fun?

28. TWENTY-EIGHT! Out of 1250 players. ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY players.

2.02% of MLB is Puerto-Rican.

Most of what you say isn't credible, but this beats the rest.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

28. TWENTY-EIGHT! Out of 1250 players. ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY players.

How many Canadian players do play in the MLB? Yet, they have the Jays. In 2023, that's 19 and Guerrero Jr. may be born in Canada but his ethnic origins are from Latin America just like many others. That's less than your 28. MLB experimented with Puerto Rico anyways when the Expos played some home games. It makes perfect sense to put a team, considering it's part of the US.

What the Hell is the connection? Makes no sense. OJ Simpson was still a great Football player.

Cause you brought it up.

Aubut wanted a new arena without any garantees. And this was a time when there was no cap in the NHL. Egocentric Aubut wanted to be the King of Quebec and no one else.

That would have been a dream but nobody stepped up. At the time of the Nords, it was still old man Péladeau that was in charge of Quebecor and he was not interested in sport. He said people being involved in sport is just a way to brag about to their friends. (he was not entirely wrong)

Nothing wrong in wanting to keep an industry in the area it came about. That's how Quebecor was able to grow and get a bigger footprint in the province.

I refuse to argue with a hardcore separatist who believes immigrants deprived him of a country. Quebecor absorbed smaller companies and put so many Quebecers out of a job. I could say the same about PKP who tried to run for office with the PQ. Aubut wasn't the only one who aspired to take the thrown. Also you can enjoy the Centre Vidéotron which cost upwards of 400$ million with no NHL team. Anyways, the PQ made a ridiculous offer to Aubut. They wanted to make the Nordiques, a subsiduary of the government, a sort of SAAQ/Hydro-Québec. The sum was small and instead promoted sovereignity to the poeple. They lost all 3: the money, the franchise and the referendum. Off course, the immigrants are to blame. Am I right? Parizeau left in shame with bags of money under his name. No public inquiry about his shady practices was ever done. We like to expose all the circumventing made by the No side. Once you acheive independence, expect to lose the Habs also. No one will do business in Quebec anymore, won't be long before this province/country enters the US constitution and your french will be wiped out in a decade. Goodnight dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Hum

1. I never said many players from the MLB were Purto Ricans.
2. I argued the opposite that the players association would not like it because of the travel time.
3. If it doesn't make sense to you then i don't know what to say because travel time is often a subject of discussion in sports. The Red Wings wanted to change division because of that if i remember correctly.
4. Anyway ....

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
How many Canadian players do play in the MLB? Yet, they have the Jays. In 2023, that's 19 and Guerrero Jr. may be born in Canada but his ethnic origins are from Latin America just like many others. That's less than your 28. MLB experimented with Puerto Rico anyways when the Expos played some home games. It makes perfect sense to put a team, considering it's part of the US.

I refuse to argue with a hardcore separatist who believes immigrants deprived him of a country. Quebecor absorbed smaller companies and put so many Quebecers out of a job. I could say the same about PKP who tried to run for office with the PQ. Aubut wasn't the only one who aspired to take the thrown. Also you can enjoy the Centre Vidéotron which cost upwards of 400$ million with no NHL team. Anyways, the PQ made a ridiculous offer to Aubut. They wanted to make the Nordiques, a subsiduary of the government, a sort of SAAQ/Hydro-Québec. The sum was small and instead promoted sovereignity to the poeple. They lost all 3: the money, the franchise and the referendum. Off course, the immigrants are to blame. Am I right? Parizeau left in shame with bags of money under his name. No public inquiry about his shady practices was ever done. We like to expose all the circumventing made by the No side. Once you acheive independence, expect to lose the Habs also. No one will do business in Quebec anymore, won't be long before this province/country enters the US constitution and your french will be wiped out in a decade. Goodnight dude.
Quebec business has always been more talk than action & very risk averse. Had it not been for Bronfman stepping in out of the blue in 1967 there would never have been an MLB team in Mtl, as the original ownership group talked a great game but couldn’t put their $ where their mouth was when it was time to pay the MLB piper

Same when Habs went on sale in 1999, taking nearly two years before an American stepped in with a low ball offer, after waiting everyone out.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Is it really that difficult for you to recognize that a statement like, "Since a lot of players are born there..." as a reason for the team to be located there doesn't make any sense, that the assertion about MANY MLB players being born there is not so?

And, no, not one player from the MLB needs to be born somewhere for the market be good.

So why make up something?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Hum

1. I never said many players from the MLB were Purto Ricans.
2. I argued the opposite that the players association would not like it because of the travel time.
3. If it doesn't make sense to you then i don't know what to say because travel time is often a subject of discussion in sports. The Red Wings wanted to change division because of that if i remember correctly.
4. Anyway ....
My reply wasn't to you. BargainBin insisted MANY Puerto-Ricans were MLB players and used it as a reason for Puerto-Rico to be a good destination. It's basically only 2% of the players in the MLB.

Reactions: LaP

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Is it really that difficult for you to recognize that a statement like, "Since a lot of players are born there..." as a reason for the team to be located there doesn't make any sense, that the assertion about MANY MLB players being born there is not so?

And, no, not one player from the MLB needs to be born somewhere for the market be good.

So why make up something?
Nothing you just said makes sense. Compared to MTL, baseball has a huge following in Puerto Rico, but anyways. Keep making ridiculous claims and statements. You will never see another MLB franchise in MTL ever. Hate to break it to you. Everything you post is just plain ridiculous. The Jays are a huge success because Rogers owns them, money dished out by the PQ government to nix out the sale of Videotron, to guess who, Rogers, back in 2001 I believe. Something I already stated earlier. Did Vidéotron or BELL get 200 million to buy the Expos? no..... Case closed....

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am of the opinion that given Expos fans and the people of Montreal were the ultimate victims of the battle of the greedy pigs in 1994 the decent and honorable thing would be giving them their team back.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Nothing you just said makes sense. Compared to MTL, baseball has a huge following in Puerto Rico, but anyways. Keep making ridiculous claims and statements. You will never see another MLB franchise in MTL ever. Hate to break it to you. Everything you post is just plain ridiculous. The Jays are a huge success because Rogers owns them, money dished out by the PQ government to nix out the sale of Videotron, to guess who, Rogers, back in 2001 I believe. Something I already stated earlier. Did Vidéotron or BELL get 200 million to buy the Expos? no..... Case closed....
Toronto has an MLB team because the southern Ontario Golden Horseshoe has the highest concentration of disposable income combined w population size that’s unmatched in Canada - Mtl was in that exact position in 1967 which is why they were awarded a franchise.

And precisely why Puerto Rico would never get an MLB franchise because they lack 3-core characteristics in equal parts MLB looks for in a market: large corporate $ base + large population w significant disposable income + media revenue generation.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I am of the opinion that given Expos fans and the people of Montreal were the ultimate victims of the battle of the greedy pigs in 1994 the decent and honorable thing would be giving them their team back.
The team left in 2003, there was plenty of time to do something, unfortunately the fans were not there, the politicians gave up, no local investor ever showed up and MLB got fooled by Loria.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The team left in 2003, there was plenty of time to do something, unfortunately the fans were not there, the politicians gave up, no local investor ever showed up and MLB got fooled by Loria.
Not really, with early 80s mass exodus, most of those were the core fan support structure the Expos depended on since their inception, most went down 401 to become Blow Jays supporters.

Add to it the shift of immigration focus to La Francophonie (North African, Lebanese etc), none of whom have any historical attachement / familiarity w a sport like baseball… limiting the ability to grow affinity for the team

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Not really, with early 80s mass exodus, most of those were the core fan support structure the Expos depended on since their inception, most went down 401 to become Blow Jays supporters.

Add to it the shift of immigration focus to La Francophonie (North African, Lebanese etc), none of whom have any historical attachement / familiarity w a sport like baseball… limiting the ability to grow affinity for the team
I must agree that with the mass exodus of the anglophones for the Golden Horseshoe, the team no longer had the fanbase to survive.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Growing up in NDG, I played in a 8-team little league. Van Horne park in Cote des Neiges had a 24-team league, Cote St Luc, Snowdon & Hampstead had a 12-team league. So in a 5km radius there were nearly 50-teams for little league baseball.

Except Cote St Luc all the other diamonds don’t even exist today … MLB will never come back to Mtl

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Growing up in NDG, I played in a 8-team little league. Van Horne park in Cote des Neiges had a 24-team league, Cote St Luc, Snowdon & Hampstead had a 12-team league. So in a 5km radius there were nearly 50-teams for little league baseball.

Except Cote St Luc all the other diamonds don’t even exist today … MLB will never come back to Mtl
Never............say Never.

• Love
Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad