OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Complete joke. Revive the East end? It's already better but it will never be a hub. You could invest that money so much better downtown or at least having done it before so we could have had WC matches in a city where they actually belonged as opposed to in Alberta.

Taylor Swift or Beyonce coming through every couple of years isn't going to pay for this and there's no permanent tenant in sight.

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
Complete joke. Revive the East end? It's already better but it will never be a hub. You could invest that money so much better downtown or at least having done it before so we could have had WC matches in a city where they actually belonged as opposed to in Alberta.

Taylor Swift or Beyonce coming through every couple of years isn't going to pay for this and there's no permanent tenant in sight.
1) There's no WC games in Alberta 2) the Stade is more than ever occupied.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Generating 1.5 billions in revenues... without any permanent tenant. They are taking the piss.

I'd like to see a plan, even if optimistic. We already missed World Cup 2026 which would have been a great revenue generating opportunity.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
1) There's no WC games in Alberta 2) the Stade is more than ever occupied.
Occupied by whom? And more than ever? How many days/year? They brag about 144 days in their promo document. Pure PR talk.

Expos were 81 days + rock concerts + Alouettes. Not the conference rooms, not the esplanade. The stadium itself. They brag about the 144 days, but that is just pure BS. In the 144 days of occupation, you are counting the days where the meeting rooms are occupied.

And NO, the stadium is NOT a sporting event stadium. My dad had season tickets for the Expos, I had season tickets for football, I attended more games there than the majority of folks here. It never was a sports stadium, by ANY stretch of the imagination.
If for some nights, like the 1993 Expos-Phillies series (I was there), the ambiance was electric, it had to do with the passion of the fans. Nothing about the stadium.

It takes ONE visit to Boston, Chicago, and New York to understand what a true baseball ambiance is. The cold, ugly and humming Mtl stadium litteraly put people to sleep 90% of the time. I should know! I saw it on many boring Tuesday nights. The constant humming sound was the best sleeping remedy around.

Football almost disappeared because of this Canadian version of the Mistake by the Lake (in this case, the lake being the neighbourhood).

The less games the Mtl FC play in that hideous stadium, the better it is for the owner and the players. Fans HATE IT.

The sound is godawful in there. Worst sound ever for a rock show. Seats are ugly and of another century.

Politically, no government would be allowed to demolish this Cadeau de Grec de Roger Taillibert. It would be politically suicidal to do so. But it remains the most logical solution. Mais au Québec, on n’habite pas nos testicules.

Baseball is dead in this city. But I would certainly have built a multi-event venue with the money saved, for the remaining sports franchises. Retractable roof. Designed for the 21st century. Able to host major sports events, cultural happenings and conventions. À la hauteur de la ville.

Instead, we have the biggest White Elephant of the world.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not according to this guy:

There's no way it would cost much to dynamite a freaking building. Hell just send the Canadian Military to bomb it to kingdom come.

It would be insane to spend 870 million to build a new roof. And then if we want a new baseball team we would build another stadium too? There's no alternatives where this is not insane. When has the Legault regime ever had any freaking brain?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There's no way it would cost much to dynamite a freaking building. Hell just send the Canadian Military to bomb it to kingdom come.

It would be insane to spend 870 million to build a new roof. And then if we want a new baseball team we would build another stadium too? There's no alternatives where this is not insane. When has the Legault regime ever had any freaking brain?
I am sure that even rebuilding the whole metro station under the stadium would be less than 2 billions.

Reactions: Kimota

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

And Legault is an actual businessman, an accountant en plus… go figure

Easy to spend other people’s $$

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
And Legault is an actual businessman, an accountant en plus… go figure

Easy to spend other people’s $$

There seems to be some sort of derangement syndrome when people become politicians. They lose their responsabilities in anything. To see whatshername who is in charge of this project talking with pride about her decision to propose this...it was baffling. It was like seeing a child talk.

Maybe some politicians see the Stadium as a source of pride when their politician friends come visit to Montreal and that's why they are Hell bent on keeping it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A horse named 94Expos won its race in Hallandale, Florida yesterday and as Denis Casvant quips, there was no strike preventing the race from taking place.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Baseball in general is not as popular as it once was. Montreal on top of that is not a baseball town. Baseball is an expensive sport, it's just feasible

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Baseball in general is not as popular as it once was. Montreal on top of that is not a baseball town. Baseball is an expensive sport, it's just feasible
imagine being a kid, hearing about how awesome baseball is, and that they just spent billions of dollars on a stadium… Then the day of your first game ever you end up watching ants play to the sound of air conditioning in the Olympic stadium lol.

Please blow it up.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
imagine being a kid, hearing about how awesome baseball is, and that they just spent billions of dollars on a stadium… Then the day of your first game ever you end up watching ants play to the sound of air conditioning in the Olympic stadium lol.

Please blow it up.
I was 11 years old when they built Big O. Expos really needed an indoor stadium they said. It was big deal across the country. Montreal was at its peak, before Levesque. Olympics was here. Canadiens were at their all time best. The world was watching. I still remember going to '77 Grey Cup. It was great game. 60,000 sold out. SonnyWade14 is password one of my bank accounts. I never forget that one

Hard to imagine it's all ended up like this! Expos long gone. Alouettes bankrupt multiple times. Canadiens doormat of the league. The city is a shell of what once was. Shows you what bad politics and bad leadership will do

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Where did Stephen Bronfman go? The land in the downtown area was supposed to be held for a potential brand new open air 35k ballfield?
Curious what happened?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was 11 years old when they built Big O. Expos really needed an indoor stadium they said. It was big deal across the country. Montreal was at its peak, before Levesque. Olympics was here. Canadiens were at their all time best. The world was watching. I still remember going to '77 Grey Cup. It was great game. 60,000 sold out. SonnyWade14 is password one of my bank accounts. I never forget that one

Hard to imagine it's all ended up like this! Expos long gone. Alouettes bankrupt multiple times. Canadiens doormat of the league. The city is a shell of what once was. Shows you what bad politics and bad leadership will do

Might want to change that banking password now.

• Haha
Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad