OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Part One had cleared 1000 posts: OT: - All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

IT76mia.jpg

Bring back the Expos Robot!

if8ERV0.jpg

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wanted to acknowledge the passing of Ron Fairly, one of the original Expos.

The Expos acquired Fairly in a trade with the Dodgers in June 1969 during their inaugural major-league season. Fairly had won three World Series with the Dodgers while earning the nickname “Mr. Clutch.” When the Dodgers beat the Minnesota Twins in the 1965 World Series, Fairly hit safely in all seven games, going 11-for-29 (.379) with two home runs, three doubles and six RBIs. ...

“I have a lot of fond memories from my time with the Expos,” Fairly said in the 2003 interview.
“I remember how great the fans were. You went up to the plate at Parc Jarry and they were right there — right on top of you. You saw their faces and you had the chance to meet some of the people that were regulars.
“I thought the fans were fantastic,” Fairly added. “I wish we could have played a little better.”

RIP.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The split squad thing is just posturing and politics. It's not tenable but it lets MLB and TB ownership save face.

Sounds like a cheap stunt for Rays ownership to try and maximize profits while getting around the penalties and remaining term of the Tampa stadium lease.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Sounds like a cheap stunt for Rays ownership to try and maximize profits while getting around the penalties and remaining term of the Tampa stadium lease.

Also lets MLB say they tried to keep the franchise from relocating.

Reactions: Runner77

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
At this point they should just pay the penalty for leaving the field early. Which is $5 million to demolish the stadium and $4 million for every year left prematurely. It's high but not as high you would think.

If they leave in the year 2020 the penalty is $33 million. It's more likely however that it would take 2-3 even 4 years to build a stadium and set up a team these things take time. So in 2022 the fee would be 29 million and in 2023 it would be $25 million, 2024= $21 million and so on until 2027.

Jul 6, 2016
That's good news. No part-time team in MTL. That was absurd to start with.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval

Translation

It is to be expected that Sternberg offers to divest its shares in the real estate project in return for a termination of the lease with the Tropicana Field. The city will proceed to the demolition of the Stadium and Sternberg will be free to negotiate with Montreal the transfer of the club.

Jul 6, 2016

Translation

It is to be expected that Sternberg offers to divest its shares in the real estate project in return for a termination of the lease with the Tropicana Field. The city will proceed to the demolition of the Stadium and Sternberg will be free to negotiate with Montreal the transfer of the club.

Really ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All those roadblocks until 2027 and now this? How much is Sternberg's share of the real estate worth?

Stephen Bronfman -- time to put up or shut up if this is real.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Jul 6, 2016
I don't know... just reporting what he said earlier today.

So.... The Rays would be sold to Bronfman... Or the actual owner would sell a certain % of the club to Bronfman and his friends and move the club to MTL ?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
At this point they should just pay the penalty for leaving the field early. Which is $5 million to demolish the stadium and $4 million for every year left prematurely. It's high but not as high you would think.

If they leave in the year 2020 the penalty is $33 million. It's more likely however that it would take 2-3 even 4 years to build a stadium and set up a team these things take time. So in 2022 the fee would be 29 million and in 2023 it would be $25 million, 2024= $21 million and so on until 2027.

What is your source for this? From what I understand County has veto for any move regardless of what an owner is willing to pay. Owner is not even allowed to explore other opportunities without permission from the County. It is a bit easier to move within Tampa area as they were granted a window to negotiated for a potential new stadium. They were close to getting one but eventually failed and the window was closed.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
What is your source for this? From what I understand County has veto for any move regardless of what an owner is willing to pay. Owner is not even allowed to explore other opportunities without permission from the County. It is a bit easier to move within Tampa area as they were granted a window to negotiated for a potential new stadium. They were close to getting one but eventually failed and the window was closed.

They could always threaten some manoeuvre like to fold the club, then the county gets nothing (figure out some loophole to compensate Sternberg). Sure the county could sue or something, and you get a decade of legal fighting. That could get the county to the table.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
They could always threaten some manoeuvre like to fold the club, then the county gets nothing (figure out some loophole to compensate Sternberg). Sure the county could sue or something, and you get a decade of legal fighting. That could get the county to the table.

MLB voted to contract the Twins and Expos back in early 2000's. A judge ruled Twins could not contract until end of lease. Don't know how things would unfold here but it may not be an automatic out.

If we are to believe Forbes numbers Rays are actually making a profit thanks to revenue sharing and a low payroll. Don't think they are desperate enough to go for extreme measures.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Bring back the Expos Robot!

if8ERV0.jpg
That picture reminded me of the mascot before Youppi (~1978).

The head was like a baseball covered in aluminum foil, believe it was called Msr. Baseball. It was really bad.

Seem to remember it was scaring kids, that's when they went to the Muppets people who designed Youppi, thankfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad