Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Please sign Stephen Johns the second his year ends. I have watched him play 3 times this season, and all I can say is this kid is becoming an all around complete defensemen. No longer just a shut down player, Johns actually has the skill to be productive in the offensive zone. He looks a bit more skilled than Brooks Orpik did at this age, and that is a great great thing.

Nothingman*

Please sign Stephen Johns the second his year ends. I have watched him play 3 times this season, and all I can say is this kid is becoming an all around complete defensemen. No longer just a shut down player, Johns actually has the skill to be productive in the offensive zone. He looks a bit more skilled than Brooks Orpik did at this age, and that is a great great thing.

I agree 1000%. He has been extremely good this year and very good last year. Perfect fit for third pairing.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BUT here is the question: should Q use Johns as a Dman..OR unleasj the Krakken as that Terror bone cruncher up front to soften up opposing Dmen on the forecheck and let our skill forwards romp even more on attack? HE might be that BIG BUFF types special weapon we could use especially when things get tough in playoffs..But if ND gets to the Frozen Four Finale how late could his seaon end? If he does not play a reg season game he cannot be on the playoff roster,correct? Even if he does get in a reg season game in time,I doubt Q risks putting him into an NHL learning experience on the more difficult Dman position..Rather could see him as Disruptor up front like a Byfuglien role difference maker and better than Buf as a "protector" so that they do not manhandle our top skill forwards...would add a big missing component...or imagine Bickell and Johns with Shaw even as third line...nasty to handle wjen it ramps up in playoffs..or if they pile on Toews again you put Bickell and Johns with him and nobody gonna touch him this time. .Or on Pp either shooting howitzer from the point or standing unmoveable as a screen in front of their net..in short he gives Q lots of options..

Nothingman*

BUT here is the question: should Q use Johns as a Dman..OR unleasj the Krakken as that Terror bone cruncher up front to soften up opposing Dmen on the forecheck and let our skill forwards romp even more on attack? HE might be that BIG BUFF types special weapon we could use especially when things get tough in playoffs..But if ND gets to the Frozen Four Finale how late could his seaon end? If he does not play a reg season game he cannot be on the playoff roster,correct? Even if he does get in a reg season game in time,I doubt Q risks putting him into an NHL learning experience on the more difficult Dman position..Rather could see him as Disruptor up front like a Byfuglien role difference maker and better than Buf as a "protector" so that they do not manhandle our top skill forwards...would add a big missing component...or imagine Bickell and Johns with Shaw even as third line...nasty to handle wjen it ramps up in playoffs..or if they pile on Toews again you put Bickell and Johns with him and nobody gonna touch him this time. .Or on Pp either shooting howitzer from the point or standing unmoveable as a screen in front of their net..in short he gives Q lots of options..

That does sound pretty interesting to be honest. Especially if we are still looking for that third line winger option that Brookbank is filling.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

The Frozen Four ends around mid-April.

So Johns could pull a Chris Kreider and sign with the Hawks the day after his season ends. He'd get to play the tail end of the NHL season, and he would still be eligible for the playoffs because the Hawks already have his NHL rights.

As opposed to Drew Leblanc, who signed after his Frozen Four tournament ended and was playoff-ineligible because he was technically a UFA signing after the trade deadline.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
TT's Jokerit lost today to Blues 2-3. Teuvo had an assist for the first Jokerit goal on PP. He has now 3 G + 9 A = 12 P in 16 games.

Highlights later.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Keep Johns as a defensemen...not even a question.

I agree. The knock against the Hawks d-corps is not much size - with only Seabrook having good size. Johns has good size and if he's an NHL calibre d-man why would the Hawks even think about converting him to a forward - he's made to order. He plays opposite Leddy on the 3rd pairing for a year and then opposite Clendening when Odyua leaves and Leddy moves up to 2nd pairing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
TT's Jokerit lost today to Blues 2-3. Teuvo had an assist for the first Jokerit goal on PP. He has now 3 G + 9 A = 12 P in 16 games.

Highlights later.

I like that TT is back playing 1C and has been averaging a point per game since moving back there. How has his overall play been - defensively, faceoffs, etc.?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q is too risk averse to throwong in any college guy into an immediate nhl dman role to the sit down of any of his experienced vet dmen..But that 3rd line Rw spot is still up for grabs...They could move Handzuz to 3C when he gets back and Shaw to RW. .but Shaw is thriving now as the 3C amd so why fix a spot not broken? More likely Kruger to RW on line #4 and Handzuz at 4C with Smith sitting..This means the 3rd line RW either is Mills or Brookbank with possoble only alternate shifting as Kane gets the alternate time there in addition to his reg. 2nd line RW time..Or Q gets an entirely different forecheck bash dimension by inserting Johns at 3rd line RW..Then line 3 is a playoff nightmare with Shaw ramping up his intensity and hitting and knowing Johns can also protect him from abuse and with Bickell also ramping up the hits..Such a line could smash with STl or any other team we face who dares try intimidating us with physical play. OR if they dare try abusing Toews on line #1 Johns or Bickell could go to line #1 and either Sharp or Hossa slides back a line and Saad goes back to line #3.. Anyway this gives Q plenty of options as the old line mix-master can switch pieces according to need and opponent style and strategy..Thus IF they plan to use Johns at all for the playoffs,put your money on the probabiloty he plays up front..next year, Q will see if he is an NHL ready dman or not..if not, he would go to Rockford for development as a dman. .Or IF he is some special force as that RW on line #3 or wherever they use him...then why would Q want to take that out of his bag of trocks?

Johns maybe a very good D-man..But the Hawks have many candidates oressing for jobs there...They do not have that special big physical nasty RW difference-maker that Maybe makes that line become something VERY dangerous and maybe Special in a production sense if there are more turnovers caused by opposing dmen in their zone gettong crunched by Johns..He could be THE FORCE if used up front....We have not had such a weapon at the 3 RW spot and so IT WILL BE INTERESTING.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
McNeill may not have lit the world on fire since he was drafted but in time I think will make a case to be the big body we could use on the right side. Not only is he physical, but a right-hander who is good in the dot, and he is good on the PK as well. I see no reason to convert Stephen Johns. As well, McNeill probably gets a chance to make the big club next year, while Johns (if he does sign) will in all likelihood go to the Rock.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
I agree. The knock against the Hawks d-corps is not much size - with only Seabrook having good size. Johns has good size and if he's an NHL calibre d-man why would the Hawks even think about converting him to a forward - he's made to order. He plays opposite Leddy on the 3rd pairing for a year and then opposite Clendening when Odyua leaves and Leddy moves up to 2nd pairing.

While I hate being a name dropper but I have mentioned before that Johns lives less than 2 miles from my house and on the rare occasions I have run in to him I can tell you this is one BIG dude! And he backs down from no one.

I have been drooling for the day he dons the hawk crest and lambastes some opposing player in to never-never land! (Sequeen twins would be nice)

Nothingman*

McNeill may not have lit the world on fire since he was drafted but in time I think will make a case to be the big body we could use on the right side. Not only is he physical, but a right-hander who is good in the dot, and he is good on the PK as well. I see no reason to convert Stephen Johns. As well, McNeill probably gets a chance to make the big club next year, while Johns (if he does sign) will in all likelihood go to the Rock.

McNeil might be a good option as you say. He has played well early so far in Rockford.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He seems to be playing well in ECHL

Hogs probably like him for there club ,, They do have right to sign some guys that aren't in Hawks plans

If he does well with Hogs he could earn a 2 way deal from Hawks or some other organizaiton

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You must remember that the true physical impact Johns could make is restrained now by the fact he plays in the wider Olympic size ice in college AND also by the fact tbe NCAA hockey rules prohibit fighting..together these factors do not allow him to show what he really could do as a physical hitter in smaller rinks and with the NHL encourgement to be nasty whn the strategy demands it such as in the more intense playoffs.. BUT even with that, unless 'syou are an impact open ice hitter like a Scot Stevens was, the Impact of a physical hitter to cause both dosruptove turnovers,fear,and intimidation PLUS actual potential to hurt guys and put them OUT with injury, it seems to me is MORE impactful when carried out by a forechecking forward smashing them into the boards in their (opponent's) zone than by a our dman trying to defend in our zone..Often such dmen dzone physical guys like a Chara can themselves be harrassed into turnovers and getting put off their game as we saw the Hawks do to him in the Cup Final..Therefore I see Johns value More as that winger erapon that comrs rushing in tosmash guys off pucks in our ozone, cause disruption and turnovers and Also able to protect his forward linemates from any abuse attempted on them or maybe he Takes Out the opposition player or players tryong that on our guys..In short if he does thrse tasks well it will be easiest to do as a forward at the start of his NHL career rather than worry about all the extra things an inexperienced dman must deal with at the NHL level...especially in the even more intense atmosphere of playoffs.. As a winger he has a lot less to do. .dzone reads and positioning and support switching and dpartner support and anticipation requirements to get to blocking position...it is all a much tougher set of tasks to learn to do well for any newbie dman entering the nhl...more so on playoffs when the speed and intensity ramp up even more...So I cannot see Q employing him this year in playoffs with so little experience as a pro dman as a dman thrown to the eolvesright away..much easier to use him strategically as a winger and perhaps with limited minutes...used only on certain shifts to change something...the momentum...or get a goal off some disruption in the ozone off a forecheck causing turnovers by the opposition..that kond of strategic impact..or to just remind opponent's not to attempt abusing our stars..Uses like that without worrying about mistakes from a much more difficult dman postion..Next year..after training camp and pre-season tests as a dman, Q can then judge whether Johns is ready for a regular dman role and whether he deserves that role more than any other dman we have tryong to win that job...Kostka,Dahlbeck...whatever..My point is there are other dmen Q can use but nobody except McNeill...maybe..who can be that missing physical force winger we will need...especially in playoffs..so IF...and I said IF...Q decides he will insert Johns into his lineup in playoffs..then winger is more probable as his position for this year's playoffs..ratherthan Q risking on Johns not to make mistakes as most rookie dmen do starting out in the NHL..just a more logical assumption,I would think.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
My eyes !! LOL Seriously tho,we have been clamoring for a dman that can give opposition players a hard time in front of our net.Time after time we bemoan the fact that players are allowed free reign in our crease leading to screens and tip-ins.By all accounts Johns is exactly what's needed there and you (50) want to move him to forward?? :shakehead:shakehead

The Hawks need more physicality from their D way more then their forwards.This is a fact agreed upon by the vast majority of people(not just me) and you want to take the most promising physical Dman we've had in yrs and put him into a position he's never played.Seems counterproductive to me.The Hawks do not play a physical offensive style and are unlikely to as long as Q is coaching.Also,these "protectors" dont seem to be very effective in protecting the stars anyway.Leave Johns where he is and let him do the job of "protecting" the crease that he seems to be good at.If you want more physicality up front fine,but get it from a natural forward not by trying to convert a promising Dman.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
My eyes !! LOL Seriously tho,we have been clamoring for a dman that can give opposition players a hard time in front of our net.Time after time we bemoan the fact that players are allowed free reign in our crease leading to screens and tip-ins.By all accounts Johns is exactly what's needed there and you (50) want to move him to forward?? :shakehead:shakehead

The Hawks need more physicality from their D way more then their forwards.This is a fact agreed upon by the vast majority of people(not just me) and you want to take the most promising physical Dman we've had in yrs and put him into a position he's never played.Seems counterproductive to me.The Hawks do not play a physical offensive style and are unlikely to as long as Q is coaching.Also,these "protectors" dont seem to be very effective in protecting the stars anyway.Leave Johns where he is and let him do the job of "protecting" the crease that he seems to be good at.If you want more physicality up front fine,but get it from a natural forward not by trying to convert a promising Dman.

Problem is, after all these years I have to believe it's a coaching point/philosophy and not a lack of physicality by the defensemen. And you also don't have to be physical to simply place your body between the offending player and your goaltender and tie up a stick. It seems it's an active systematic implementation by the coaching staff, rendering even a big bruising d-man useless as far as that goes.

That said, I'm not disagreeing with you. Still could use some physical element added to the d-core, because there are plenty of other instances guys need to be knocked on their ass and held in check physically, and he can fill that need. Just was speaking more specifically net coverage issue.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Been a while since we've seen stats from our young guys outside of AHL

Kevin Hayes 9GP 5G 9A 14pts +4 (tied for 8th in the country in scoring)
Vince Hinostroza 10GP 3G 9A 12pts +4 (tied for 18th in the country in scoring, leading scorer on his team by 4pts)
Stephen Johns 10GP 2G 5A 7pts +1
Justin Holl 10GP 0G 2A 2ps +5
Chris Calnan 8GP 1G 4A 5pts +5

Travis Brown 24GP 8G 18A 26pts +22 (19th in scoring in the WHL - 2nd out of all Dmen)
Ryan Hartman 20GP 10G 11A 21pts -14
Dillion Fournier 20GP 7G 10A 17pts +17
Brandon Whitney 19GP 7-10-1 3.83GAA 0.890sv%

Mac Carruth (ECHL) 4-3-0 2.50GAA .927sv%

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Been a while since we've seen stats from our young guys outside of AHL

Kevin Hayes 9GP 5G 9A 14pts +4 (tied for 8th in the country in scoring)
Vince Hinostroza 10GP 3G 9A 12pts +4 (tied for 18th in the country in scoring, leading scorer on his team by 4pts)
Stephen Johns 10GP 2G 5A 7pts +1
Justin Holl 10GP 0G 2A 2ps +5
Chris Calnan 8GP 1G 4A 5pts +5

Travis Brown 24GP 8G 18A 26pts +22 (19th in scoring in the WHL - 2nd out of all Dmen)
Ryan Hartman 20GP 10G 11A 21pts -14
Dillion Fournier 20GP 7G 10A 17pts +17
Brandon Whitney 19GP 7-10-1 3.83GAA 0.890sv%

Mac Carruth (ECHL) 4-3-0 2.50GAA .927sv%
Travis Brown is -11. 22 is his pim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad