Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is not calling Blake Wheeler a franchise changing talent exactly penalizing him?

I don't know I look around the league and every legit contenders best players are top draft picks. And legit of the legit contenders have multiple of them.

So LA isn't a legit contender then? Because they only have 1 of them - according to your definition.

But it's Cup or bust. As the Ranger fan who got destroyed for calling the Rangers a perennial winner since 2012 in the previous thread quickly learned.

If anything that shows how impressive this run has been for the Rangers considering their lack of top drafted talent.

And again you're ignoring my statement that top drafted talent is required to win the Stanley Cup.
The Rangers did not.

Top drafted talent? So why has LA been so successful with only 1 top drafted talent (Doughty) on their team?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Maybe it takes more than a few days to decide where he wants to spend the next few years? This is a pretty big life decision, there should be no rush for him to decide.

Some really impatient, unreasonable people here...

He has had a long time to think about it and 5 days to discuss. It was HIS camp that said they would decide by Friday. He is not some superstar coming in, he is lucky this many teams are interested. Again 3rd rounder.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Mommy and Daddy need to make the decision for him, he seems to be very confused. Its his 4th day of free agency and the kid cant make up his own mind, its not rocket science and nothing is ever guaranteed, just sign already. If you are that good of a player, you dont really need a guaranteed spot, you will simply earn your spot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He has had a long time to think about it and 5 days to discuss. It was HIS camp that said they would decide by Friday. He is not some superstar coming in, he is lucky this many teams are interested. Again 3rd rounder.

A long time to think about it is misleading. Even if he knew free agency was his ultimate destination he never knew the specifics of any offer, aside from the Sabres and Preds, until Tuesday. And heaven forbid a 23 year old wants to take more than 4 days to choose his home for the next few years. Holy **** man, the denseness is ridiculous. 3rd rounder? That's beyond irrelevant.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Mommy and Daddy need to make the decision for him, he seems to be very confused. Its his 4th day of free agency and the kid cant make up his own mind, its not rocket science and nothing is ever guaranteed, just sign already. If you are that good of a player, you dont really need a guaranteed spot, you will simply earn your spot.

See Cheddabombs post below yours... :shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
and it keeps going and going and going...

1417190044-indecisive-rob-lowe.gif

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
At this point it feels like Vesey is going to call for a prime time half hour special to announce where he's going to sign like LeBron James did several years back.

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT

Living up to your name I see.

Can you provide a link that showing Vesey's camp saying they will DEFINITELY have a decision by Friday?

ForSpareParts*

It's almost 5pm and no Vesey in sight.

Terrible.

Dog days of summer...

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT

I know, such a small decision right? Your impatience is no reason for him to make his decision any quicker than he wants to.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It isn't just that it is part of the CBA. It isn't just that the logic falls apart when you consider the opposite that teams would have to offer every draft pick a contract if you are going to be consistent, and keep them on the roster forever.

You only see a handful of these every year for a reason.

The Toews example. He would not have been able to play for four years. So instead of entering the league at age 19 he would have delayed his debut until age 22. Then signed an ELC so instead of the $6.5million deal he signed at age 22 he would have an ELC instead, forever losing that money he would have earned on that bridge contract.

Lesser players who decline a contract to play this out in this way could get injured, regress, a million things and never see a dime in hockey.

The player takes a risk doing this, and could lose a lot.

So it is not like this is some huge loophole that is something to be concerned about.

Yes but where this falls apart is that it is not in a team's best interest to just sit on an asset.

If a team doesn't think a player is worthy of a contract, they will try to move the rights to that player to another team. Any asset is more valuable than holding the rights to a player who doesn't play. If another team views that player as "worth it," then they will give up an asset to acquire him. If no other team is interested, then that player just isn't an NHL caliber player/prospect.

As for cases where a player might get buried on a team, that actually seems to be in the player's developmental favor. Again, it is in a team's best interest to develop each player to the best of its ability so as to maximize the value of that asset. And let's be honest, how many recent college free agents wouldn't have greatly benefitted from a few years in the AHL or with sheltered minutes? I can think of more than a few.

The problem is that NHL careers are so short that players are totally focused on maximizing their paycheck tomorrow rather than 5 years down the line. I would be all for better compensation/rights for injured players so they have more stable careers in exchange for less compensation/rights at the beginning of the career. And I am guessing the NHLPA (run by older players who have consistently sacrificed the leverage of young players for greater older player leverage) would too.

Two things, in my mind, are a priority. They are making sure the distribution of incoming talent is as equitable as possible to teams in order to maximize parity, and to protect players over the arc of their entire careers.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't expect him to sign with the Pens, but it is a logical choice on the level that you point out.

They just won a cup, will be one of the ones favored to win it again, have shown a willingness to play the kids, and have one enormous gap to fill. LW. The position that he plays.

Kunitz looked awful for most of the year. He redeemed himself a small bit in the playoffs, but he looks to be done as a top six player. The opening is right there on Malkin's left wing for a player to come in and take.

That said, as I point out above the other teams being considered have similar arguments to make. My head explodes each time I see someone say that there is only one obvious choice for him.

If it were me, I'm going somewhere that my stats get inflated so I can get paid. The quest for the cup is a nice idea, but I think I would look for that later when I had made $15M already and had some choices.

Playing with Toews, as good as he is, I don't think accomplishes that. Crosby and Malkin I think you can reasonably say have inflated numbers for a bunch of their wingers - Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Hornqvist. If I'm a guy who is likely going to be a 2nd to 3rd line winger, I want to go somewhere that's going to let me put up points like a low end 1st line winger, then the world is my oyster come RFA time if the Pens can't afford it, or if they can there's always UFA to go somewhere else if he wants to

Given that the Agents get paid a percentage of earnings, I think you can bank on them delivering the same kind of advice.

The Islanders I think are interesting if you're playing with Tavares too, but Pitts is where my money is

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If it were me, I'm going somewhere that my stats get inflated so I can get paid. The quest for the cup is a nice idea, but I think I would look for that later when I had made $15M already and had some choices.

Playing with Toews, as good as he is, I don't think accomplishes that. Crosby and Malkin I think you can reasonably say have inflated numbers for a bunch of their wingers - Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Hornqvist. If I'm a guy who is likely going to be a 2nd to 3rd line winger, I want to go somewhere that's going to let me put up points like a low end 1st line winger, then the world is my oyster come RFA time if the Pens can't afford it, or if they can there's always UFA to go somewhere else if he wants to

Given that the Agents get paid a percentage of earnings, I think you can bank on them delivering the same kind of advice.

The Islanders I think are interesting if you're playing with Tavares too, but Pitts is where my money is

And what if Vesey plays with Anisimov and Kane on a line? And Panarin is on Toews' wing? Just a thought, and very real possibility.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
And what if Vesey plays with Anisimov and Kane on a line? And Panarin is on Toews' wing? Just a thought, and very real possibility.

I thought the Chicago pitch was that he'd play with Toews, but I suppose that's all conjecture.

Yes I think Kane would be that kind of player too, especially after the year he just had. I like Panarin but not sure he's pt/g on his own

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I freely said that while playing with Malkin and the obvious spot is there for the taking if he can step up and take it, there are arguments to be made for all of the teams that made his cut. That is why they made the cut. He is lucky to have a good number of attractive options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad