Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No one can give him "better" offers. Everyone is going to offer him 925k, with the max signing bonus and the max bonuses allowed. All of these things are regulated by the CBA. The only thing they can do is make promises about icetime, line combo's etc... and there's no way that Vesey can hold them to those promises once he signs. Not to mention that if someone is lying about these things to try and convince him, him and his team can just as easily look at how players were used last year and how likely the coach is going to bump one of those guys for him.

AKA in PIT, there's zero chance this year that Vesey plays on the #1PP. He's not bumping Crosby, Malkin, Kessel or Hornqvist/Kunitz. It's just not going to happen.

I do not get the bickering that has filled these threads over "better" offers. Not just that the money is equal as you point out. But these teams were chosen for consideration for a reason. A number of reasons. There is opportunity for him to play soon, and often with a great center is likely the primary consideration and all of these places have that potential. The rest will play in as well, do you want a team that is a cup favorite or to grow with an up and coming one? Location, reputation of the team and coach to play for, etc. Who can you pad stats for your next contract with.

To argue that any of these teams is the 'logical' choice is ridiculous, they all have similar attractions to one degree or another.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's sure worked out well for Edmonton over the last 6 years since they drafted Hall in 2010.

Are you saying that Chicago or Pittsburgh has their current status without those draft picks?

The Penguins may not have even been still in Pennsylvania if not for Crosby.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I do not get the bickering that has filled these threads over "better" offers. Not just that the money is equal as you point out. But these teams were chosen for consideration for a reason. A number of reasons. There is opportunity for him to play soon, and often with a great center is likely the primary consideration and all of these places have that potential. The rest will play in as well, do you want a team that is a cup favorite or to grow with an up and coming one? Location, reputation of the team and coach to play for, etc. Who can you pad stats for your next contract with.

To argue that any of these teams is the 'logical' choice is ridiculous, they all have similar attractions to one degree or another.

I think that's the big one - that's what gets him paid on his next contract. I think what's getting lost in a lot of this is that this is still a kid trying to make a career of hockey, not an established player who's already banked/banking enough to get by for the rest of his days. If he signs the ELC and sucks, he may never make more than the ~ $1.85M over 2 seasons on that contract

If it were me, I choose your pens to play with elite centers and not get pushed by a deep system of wingers

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Are you saying that Chicago or Pittsburgh has their current status without those draft picks?

The Penguins may not have even been still in Pennsylvania if not for Crosby.

Yeah. Kinda funny how it worked out, for Pens to miraculously land a generational superstar in a random ping-pong drawing for 2005 draft - where the criteria for selection was pretty whacked (not to mention a bit shady).

Good fortune indeed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A team scouted him and decided to spend a draft pick on him. Believed in him. Just like what hundreds of other kids go through. And he thinks he should just get to decide where he wants to go? B.S. That's not how this works. You think guys from Manitoba like going and playing for a team in the south? No. They do it because that team had faith in them and they want to show them the faith was warranted.

This clown has shown that he cares about nothing other than himself. Humble? Give me a break. This is quite precisely the opposite of humble.

If you want to say "eh I don't care he can play", fine. But don't try to spin what he's doing here.

Well actually... that's exactly how this works. And it works the exact same way for every single player who decides to spend 4 years in college/university instead of playing semi-pro and earning an allowance and getting other benefits.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
A moderator making the same comparison doesn't influence my opinion one iota. It's a bad comparison.

Big time BS.

The politically-correct extremist is like the vegan of the forum world. Easy to spot by his extremism: always eager to find wrongdoing where there isn't any. Put on your big boy pants & relax. Or get up in arms & develop an ulcer for absolutely nothing. Whatever floats your boat, it's a free world.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
It's all over folks

uF1D3QB.jpg
Post of the year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Big time BS.

The politically-correct extremist is like the vegan of the forum world. Easy to spot by his extremism: always eager to find wrongdoing where there isn't any. Put on your big boy pants & relax. Or get up in arms & develop an ulcer for absolutely nothing. Whatever floats your boat, it's a free world.

:laugh: Nicely said.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that's the big one - that's what gets him paid on his next contract. I think what's getting lost in a lot of this is that this is still a kid trying to make a career of hockey, not an established player who's already banked/banking enough to get by for the rest of his days. If he signs the ELC and sucks, he may never make more than the ~ $1.85M over 2 seasons on that contract

If it were me, I choose your pens to play with elite centers and not get pushed by a deep system of wingers

I don't expect him to sign with the Pens, but it is a logical choice on the level that you point out.

They just won a cup, will be one of the ones favored to win it again, have shown a willingness to play the kids, and have one enormous gap to fill. LW. The position that he plays.

Kunitz looked awful for most of the year. He redeemed himself a small bit in the playoffs, but he looks to be done as a top six player. The opening is right there on Malkin's left wing for a player to come in and take.

That said, as I point out above the other teams being considered have similar arguments to make. My head explodes each time I see someone say that there is only one obvious choice for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thank you.

Everyone seems to ignore this fact.
The NCAA merely offers a degree as incentive.

Isn't it also a case where NCAA players are able to play in the NCAA for 4 years post draft, but kids can't stay that long in the CHL, so if they want to wait 4 years to become a UFA, they need to go over seas or something? Or am I mistaken? If so, that's a big reason it applies to the NCAA more than CHL.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Wasn't the decision supposed to happen today? I don't see the need for his camp to draw this out any further, he is just a 3rd round pick.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wasn't the decision supposed to happen today? I don't see the need for his camp to draw this out any further, he is just a 3rd round pick.

Maybe it takes more than a few days to decide where he wants to spend the next few years? This is a pretty big life decision, there should be no rush for him to decide.

Some really impatient, unreasonable people here...

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Isn't it also a case where NCAA players are able to play in the NCAA for 4 years post draft, but kids can't stay that long in the CHL, so if they want to wait 4 years to become a UFA, they need to go over seas or something? Or am I mistaken? If so, that's a big reason it applies to the NCAA more than CHL.

100% agree. The carrots and sticks are in place for college students to wait for free agency while still being productive, whereas junior players run out of runway.

And, again, for people to call it an "NCAA" loophole is really annoyingly inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad