Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashripdot

Jul 18, 2010
Could it simply be that he had Boston in mind the whole time but to avoid tampering charges his agent has set up 8 meetings to ensure that everyone knows he wanted to go to August 15th no matter what?

Or his agent wanted to be accommodating to all of the interested teams. Presumably, he has other clients.

bruinsfan1972

Jul 17, 2010
The kid is AHL fodder and I don't want this overhyped circus on the Bruins, free or not. I hope he picks NJ. They need help.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is it just as short as Boston to Boston?

Or NYC/NJ to Boston?

True, but at such a minor time difference I doubt it makes any major impact on a player likely thinking more about icetime and winning a cup.

I doubt he signs with the Leafs or the Bruins, or Devils - even though I'd love for him to come to Toronto.

KreiderHouseRules*

Vesey Meetings:

Vesey: "Is #19 available?"

GM: "well...no, but..."

Vesey: "You're fired! Next!"

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
This whole proximity to Boston thing is a bit strange to me. If that's really what he wants, then he might as well play in Boston and Boston only.

Playing in say, the NYC metro area, which is the nearest location to Boston of all the teams he is considering (other than Boston)... it would still be a 4.5 hour drive. It's not like it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

It's a 1 hour flight, sure, but then Chicago to Boston is only around 2 hours.

So basically.... if what he REALLY wants is to be close to Boston, then he might as well play in Boston.

And if that is what ends up happening, then I don't get why he even bothered to meet with all the other teams, unless he just liked to be wined and dined even though he knew he really had no intention of signing with them.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
This whole proximity to Boston thing is a bit strange to me. If that's really what he wants, then he might as well play in Boston and Boston only.

Playing in say, the NYC metro area, which is the nearest location to Boston of all the teams he is considering (other than Boston)... it would still be a 4.5 hour drive. It's not like it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

It's a 1 hour flight, sure, but then Chicago to Boston is only around 2 hours.

So basically.... if what he REALLY wants is to be close to Boston, then he might as well play in Boston.

And if that is what ends up happening, then I don't get why he even bothered to meet with all the other teams, unless he just liked to be wined and dined even though he knew he really had no intention of signing with them.

Maybe it was like choosing a college, and his parents were like "Now Jimmy... You HAVE to meet with at least 5 teams before you decide. EVEN if you really want to play in Boston."

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Could be this. I mean if you had the opportunity to be wined and dined by multiple nhl teams, wouldn't you do it?

TedBulley

Aug 12, 2016
Looks like the Pens signed Thomas DiPauli so they are probably out on Vesey. Since DiPauli is from the suburbs of Chicago they were probably interested but didn't pull the trigger because they are still in on Vesey.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Vesey Meetings:

Vesey: "Is #19 available?"

GM: "well...no, but..."

Vesey: "You're fired! Next!"

Our #19 will be LTIR this season (Lupul)...but we have an extra #91 that we were sure was going to get used....but now isn't....

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Our #19 will be LTIR this season (Lupul)...but we have an extra #91 that we were sure was going to get used....but now isn't....

The Leafs #19 wasn't in the year end photo and no longer had a locker in the Leafs room.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think it would be so funny if he just turned around and signed with Buffalo or even Nashville. Lol!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Someone made a great post on the Leafs page on reddit.
Pretty much compares him to Josh Leivo who is the same age and putting up comparable numbers but in the AHL, which I think is the harder league.

I won't really care if we don't sign him, but free is free

That's not a great post, it's an utterly stupid post. Scoring pace in lower leagues says only so much about a player's ability to translate. Otherwise guys like Petri Kontiola and TJ Brennan would be NHL stars. Leivo can't skate. He's never going to have much impact in the NHL because he just doesn't have a way to get the time and space he gets in the AHL.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
That's not a great post, it's an utterly stupid post. Scoring pace in lower leagues says only so much about a player's ability to translate. Otherwise guys like Petri Kontiola and TJ Brennan would be NHL stars. Leivo can't skate. He's never going to have much impact in the NHL because he just doesn't have a way to get the time and space he gets in the AHL.
Go read the post before calling it an utterly stupid post.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I get why there is a "he's overrated!" backlash, but really, most of the hype is being done by the media. At the end of the day, he's behaving no differently from any other college FA - meeting with teams, deciding where his best fit will be. And teams aren't acting differently than they should - trying to sign a young player who is basically free and is expected to put up anywhere between 30-50 pts over the next few seasons.

The media has created a Lebron situation out of what is, at the end of the day, a perfectly normal scenario.

Do I want my team (the Rangers) to sign him? Hell yes. He can be a quality middle six forward at low cost which allows us to possibly trade Nash for help on D. And there's always the possibility that plays beyond expectations and blossoms into a star. What's not to like about that scenario?

If he doesn't sign, no big deal. He isn't going to be a gigantic difference maker, just a piece to the puzzle.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I get why there is a "he's overrated!" backlash, but really, most of the hype is being done by the media. At the end of the day, he's behaving no differently from any other college FA - meeting with teams, deciding where his best fit will be. And teams aren't acting differently than they should - trying to sign a young player who is basically free and is expected to put up anywhere between 30-50 pts over the next few seasons.

The media has created a Lebron situation out of what is, at the end of the day, a perfectly normal scenario.

Do I want my team (the Rangers) to sign him? Hell yes. He can be a quality middle six forward at low cost which allows us to possibly trade Nash for help on D. And there's always the possibility that plays beyond expectations and blossoms into a star. What's not to like about that scenario?

If he doesn't sign, no big deal. He isn't going to be a gigantic difference maker, just a piece to the puzzle.

I haven't heard him say anything in months.

The hate for the guy is absurd, and I say that knowing he'll probably end up on a rival team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad