Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocEmrick

Aug 8, 2016
CT
Other players such as Kevin Hayes went this route. I wasn't on this forum when that happened, but did they receive these type of negative responses? Why is Vesey being singled out for invoking his rights the CBA has granted him?

All of us at some point in our working lives would love to have the options this kid currently has in front of him. Anyone who says they would handle it differently is lying or delusional.

Exactly.

I find this whole thing pretty interesting though. It's got to be so weird to have all this attention.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Seems like a poke at the Pens .

1) Crosby has been playing like the best player in the world , again

2) Toews has been playing like a lower end 1st line C . ( Not sure if he was tired , or injured . Played a lot of hockey over the last 5 years )

3) Kane while he may products points he is not close to the best player . He has a weak 2 way game . I would take James Benn over him as he brings more to the table then Kane .

4) 2 player comment is a little over the top . Crosby , Letang , Malkin , Kessel and Murray who may be a little raw and not the sexy name but the kid played great .

Pens are a very good team . Just because they underachieved for a few years does not make them a 2 player team . Pens 3rd line played lights out as well .

He's signing with Boston and the Bruins are going to shock everyone and unite Crosby and his new BFF Marchand in a Penguin/Bruins trade.:sarcasm:

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
f3d418301daf89f0c55e68d3da47bf8b.png

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Other players such as Kevin Hayes went this route. I wasn't on this forum when that happened, but did they receive these type of negative responses? Why is Vesey being singled out for invoking his rights the CBA has granted him?

All of us at some point in our working lives would love to have the options this kid currently has in front of him. Anyone who says they would handle it differently is lying or delusional.

There have been detractors posting negative responses everytime someone goes this route. They have their opinion, the CBA, BoG, and PA have a different one.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
But have they really? I haven't stayed on top of this saga so much to say that I've seen nearly every article on the kid, but from what I've seen not many people have set the bar for him overly high. I've seen the "wouldn't be surprised if he comes in and scores 20 goals" kinda often, but is that really an insane projection? He shoots the puck a lot, he has a chance to score quite a bit depending on the team he joins. I've seen a lot of projections saying 20+20 is reasonable for him, and that doesn't seem outrageous. But like I said, I haven't seen nearly all the articles on the kid so maybe there's a ton of stuff out there overrating him.

The sheer volume of articles have moreso been updates about which teams are supposedly in and out of contention to sign him, which is nice to see as I'd like to know that kind of information. And a lot of discussion in the weird amount of Vesey threads we've been through on this board has just been arguments about why Vesey should join team X or why there's no way team Y makes sense for him to join, followed by team Y's fans making long-winded arguments.

I don't know... to me, at least on HF, the drama has been created by the fans.

To the knowledgeable hockey fan, I don't think so. Most people are able to look past the circus the fans/media have created and realize he looks like an average middle six guy, which isn't a bad thing by any means. It's just the free cost controlled asset part that is the big draw here combined with the fact it's mid-August and nothing else is happening.

But that's not going to stop the extremists on here trying to rub it in everyone's faces when he doesn't tear it up and your team signs him. You can guarantee that 30 goal, 80 point projection from one ridiculous unnamed (and possibly made up by Eklund) scout will be brought up for years and referenced like it was a popular projection from whatever fan base signs him.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I'm sure they still are, but Murphy is one of the most unreliable "sources" you could ever quote. Long history of being wrong on pretty much well...everything.

EDIT: I just noticed the time stamp on that tweet is for 35 minutes from now??

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've been wondering the same thing...how is Detroit too far but Chicago isn't?

I would imagine this isn't a black and white issue. Let's say there are 5 issues, rated 0-5.

Distance, current/recent success, future outlook, living situation, max bonus offer

Let's say you have to score a total of at least 15 to be considered.

Detroit scores, in order, a 0-3-3-3-5. They get a 14 and get knocked out. Chicago scores a 0-5-3-3-5. They get a 16, so stay in.

I'm not saying those scores are accurate. I'm just pointing out that distance wouldn't be the only factor, but it seems perfectly legitimate that even if it is one, Chicago is possible when Detroit isn't. Chicago has a leg up because of the stature of the organization.

scott99

May 13, 2005

I find this very interesting, probably would be the last team I expected him to pick. He'd definitely get 1st line minutes with Henrique and Hall. Not much offensive depth after those 2.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I find this very interesting, probably would be the last team I expected him to pick. He'd definitely get 1st line minutes with Henrique and Hall. Not much offensive depth after those 2.

But, Vesey plays exclusively LW no? In that case he may not even see top 6 minutes if the coaching staff is set on Cammy playing LW. There's no way Vesey beats out Hall or Cammy for those minutes but then again the latter is a ticking-injury timebomb, so I'm sure Vesey would squeeze in there sooner or later :laugh:

The homer in me just has a gut feeling the Devils have a really good shot at getting him. But the other options available would just make more sense.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Breaking: Devils think they're still in because they haven't been told they're out of consideration otherwise. More at 11.

That isn't a ground-breaking tweet. It's also from Murphy.

Lakai

Jul 6, 2010
Breaking: Devils think they're still in because they haven't been told they're out of consideration otherwise. More at 11.

That isn't a ground-breaking tweet. It's also from Murphy.

As a Devils fan it would be nice to get a solid prospect for free but I'm not sure why he would come to NJ or really care all that much if he does.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Some people on here seem to be forgetting the potential lessons from his decision to not join the preds. Assuming he wasn't assaulted in the shower at rookie camp, it's worth considering why he didn't sign or continue to consider signing.
Cost of living? Better here than anywhere on the list, starting with no state income tax.
Wants to stay under the radar (saw that yesterday)? Hard to beat Nashville.
Immediate significant role in a contender? He passed on an immediate top 6 role in the playoffs.

The most likely answers:1. He wanted to stay close to home and 2. He had one particular team for which he wanted to play.

If it's the second, he is being polite or this week is a charade-- seems unlikely.

So, the most likely answer IMO is that he wants to stay close to home. He demonstrated that preference in his college selection. Seems to me that he is provincial (not in the negative sense)-- some people pass on what others would say are great opportunities simply out of the strong desire to stay where they were born and raised. Some do that to stay in places most of us would say are armpits...and even take a crappy job to do so. Staying in Boston to play in the NHL certainly is neither of those. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but Boston seems the obvious choice for him.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Like I mentioned before, I don't doubt Murphy has connections, I just don't believe anything he says based on a very long history of false rumors. He's a rumor monger like Eklund and nothing more. He doesn't vette anything he hears. For example: On Tuesday, he reported that his sources were telling him that the Bruins will meet that morning with Vesey. When asked by someone if this had really happened he said " confirmed, but unsure who attended ". The Bruins didn't meet with Vesey that day, they met with him Wednesday afternoon. Murphy is about as unreliable a source as they come.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
*supposed to be a reply to couple posts up.

if this is actually the case, why not just tell nashville this in the very beginning? he could have picked 3-4 teams close enough to his mommy and nashville could have gotten maybe a little bidding war and got something. At least they got a 3rd round from buffalo, but sucks if his intentions all along were to play somewhere closer and didn't say **** about it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wouldn't a time stamp be at the viewers local time? Maybe the poster is in Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia is 1 hours ahead of EST. Poster is currently on an EST time zone, and the post is 35 mins ahead of the current EST time. Must be in cities with 30-45 min time-zone differences.

EDIT: Yeah, I have no idea to be honest. And who the hell knows if HF time is always accurate, or the timestamp from twitter...

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
He wants the Pokestops. NYC wins.

Yeah it is incredible how the amount of Pokestops he'll have access to (I probably get about 100 items a day), but I think he really needs to ask himself how many Pidgeys and Ratatas he really needs. I mean sure you get the occasional Poliwag and Spearow, but is it worth all those free potions?

We'll find out in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad