Helene St. James Alfredsson looking to come back

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Dreger just now on TSN

"Alfredsson is believed to be coming back but he hasn't made it 100% certain yet that he's coming back to the National Hockey League, he works on his own time frame, very similar to Teemu Selanne, but I'm also told he's willing to be flexible"

whatever that means

I'd be cool with him playing just in the 2nd half of the season. Maybe he can convince St. Nick to come back as well :handclap:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is just a very poor UFA crop.

It's going to be that way pretty much every year from now on. Teams lock up the young players that have few flaws. Pretty much everyone from now on is going to be an older player or have those parts of their games that raise questions.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's going to be that way pretty much every year from now on. Teams lock up the young players that have few flaws. Pretty much everyone from now on is going to be an older player or have those parts of their games that raise questions.

and its why UFA is the wrong route to go to solve long standing issue/important position problems as you will never be able to do it(or pretty close to never) thru free agency

1. draft
2. trade

3.free agency

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
"[Alfredsson] had a tough time last year staying healthy, so it's real hard to commit to a guy when he doesn't know for sure," Babcock said from the red carpet for the 2014 NHL Awards. "We'd love to have him. We'd love for him to get healthy, but at this point things haven't turned in the right direction for him. We'll see what happens."
Sounds like Babcock is not necessarily sold.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Good to see him being critical and objective for once.

If only that could've applied to Cleary for the last 2 years.

Sheesh. Talk about seeing what you want.

Hopefully Babcock has seen the light. And will push for more youth and speed in the lineup to start the year.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
Sounds like Babcock is not necessarily sold.

I just saw that and came to see what everyone else was saying.

I'm just confused because that unhealthy Alfie lead our team in points this year. Unfortunately though, he was MIA during the playoffs.

Maybe these are comments mean to reinforce a lowball offer? Maybe just rest him every other game before the playoffs this year? It won't be an olympic year either so maybe he could return (somewhat) to form?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I just saw that and came to see what everyone else was saying.

I'm just confused because that unhealthy Alfie lead our team in points this year. Unfortunately though, he was MIA during the playoffs.

Maybe these are comments mean to reinforce a lowball offer? Maybe just rest him every other game before the playoffs this year? It won't be an olympic year either so maybe he could return (somewhat) to form?

I'm pretty much on board with signing him for a couple reasons. I was the exact opposite towards the end of last season. He was primarily invisible most nights in the latter half of the season. But if it ensures no Cleary and not over paying for a free agent forward. Sure.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I'm pretty much on board with signing him for a couple reasons. I was the exact opposite towards the end of last season. He was primarily invisible most nights in the latter half of the season. But if it ensures no Cleary and not over paying for a free agent forward. Sure.

Well, rumour has it, Iginla is in talks with the Wings more than Boston right now. This could be another reason why Detroit is also not making any commitment towards Alfie at the moment.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Well, rumour has it, Iginla is in talks with the Wings more than Boston right now. This could be another reason why Detroit is also not making any commitment towards Alfie at the moment.

That sounds like hogwash IMO. I'd love to bring in Iggy over Alfie. Just don't see it happening.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Good to see him being critical and objective for once.

If only that could've applied to Cleary for the last 2 years.

Sheesh. Talk about seeing what you want.

No freaking crap. That really bugs me.

"We feel we need him" said Babcock in regards to Cleary after we signed him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
why would iggy sign here?

wings management seems to be pretty clear that they are re-tooling, babs indicated they don't trade picks anymore.. good for iggy if he wants to come to wild card and re-tooling team.. i would chase the cup and he must have better options.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
As would I but I don't see it happening either. TSN's Dreger just said that the Wings would be "in the mix" if Boston doesn't strike a deal come July 1st.
Found the link as well: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/525939

:laugh:

That means very little. A lot of insiders put the Wings "in the mix" just to attract page views and move the needle. That doesn't say anything about Iginla being interested. Just that the Wings will call. Just like the Thorton speculation.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
:laugh:

That means very little. A lot of insiders put the Wings "in the mix" just to attract page views and move the needle. That doesn't say anything about Iginla being interested. Just that the Wings will call. Just like the Thorton speculation.

we have been in the mix for every good player in the league since 2010.

dekeyser and alfie are the only ones that have actually come here. yay.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
why would iggy sign here?

wings management seems to be pretty clear that they are re-tooling, babs indicated they don't trade picks anymore.. good for iggy if he wants to come to wild card and re-tooling team.. i would chase the cup and he must have better options.

How many contenders in the East have the cap space though.

If Boston let's him go, Pittsburgh is pretty strapped, and I don't think New York or Montreal has a lot of cap space either.

So after that it's pretty much wide open.

I mean ideally I agree, if I'm Iginla I want to go to a better team than Detroit for a cup push. I just don't know how many options he has?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I would welcome Alfie back. He can help transition the youth movement and help out on the PP. I know he isn't a long term solution, but he did provide secondary scoring and lead the team in scoring due to injuries.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we have been in the mix for every good player in the league since 2010.

dekeyser and alfie are the only ones that have actually come here. yay.

The four the Wings really wanted were Suter, Nash, Bouwmeester, and Edler.

They offered Suter a lifetime contract, Columbus wouldn't deal with Detroit, and reportedly both Vancouver and Calgary turned down really good deals for their defenders.

The Wings do their due diligence, but they only go big when they love a guy. Off the top of my head those are the only 4 players they've gone "all in" for. JBo is probably a Wing, and Tatar isn't, under better management in Calgary.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah lets bring back the same forwards so we get crushed like rag dolls again by the Bruins. Holland never learns. Worst GM.

If Dats and Z are healthy, and another year of experience for the kids. An upgrade on D is made in addition to improvements by DD and Smith come to fruition. As well as better goaltending. I like our chances. And again the Bruins? If what I mentioned happens, we wouldn't be playing the Bruins in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad