Helene St. James Alfredsson looking to come back

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
“It appears that we’ve got some real good kids. There’s (forward) Anthony Mantha (the club’s top pick in the 2013 draft) on the way up. We’ll turn him pro and see what he can do next year. When you factor in Petr Mrazek in goal and Thomas McCollum who has made strides and is developing into the prospect we hoped he would be – a little slower than we thought, but he’s become a real solid AHL goaltender. He’s 24 years of age. Some players bloom a little later.

“On defence there’s (Mattias) Backman, (Alexey) Marchenko, (Xavier) Ouellet, (Ryan) Sproul. Up front you’ve got Mantha and Teemu Pulkinnen, there’s Landon Ferraro and the ones we already saw last year. Then were turning pro a guy like (Barrie Colts forward Andreas) Athanasiou. We’ve got the 15th pick in the draft, so we’re going to add another good prospect to our talent pool.”

Didn't mention Callahan..

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
The four the Wings really wanted were Suter, Nash, Bouwmeester, and Edler.

They offered Suter a lifetime contract, Columbus wouldn't deal with Detroit, and reportedly both Vancouver and Calgary turned down really good deals for their defenders.

The Wings do their due diligence, but they only go big when they love a guy. Off the top of my head those are the only 4 players they've gone "all in" for. JBo is probably a Wing, and Tatar isn't, under better management in Calgary.

From what I remember the Wings also made solid offers for Bogosian.

I understand the frustration; seems like we can never get our guy after Holland built his reputation on pulling a rabbit from the hat summer after summer.

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011
It was for cap reasons. He wasn't subject to waivers. Though it can be argued his need to sign and play Cleary over him is equally dumb.

There is no rule against playing a player before their waiver eligibility begins. Cleary signing was precisely the cause of the cap issues, the excuse to demote Nyquist. There is no way of defending that decision.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
wasnt that three months before the season and months before cleary was signed?

Timing is irrelevant, but that's the reason why Cleary gets all the hate in this debate. If Cleary would have signed before that Sammy denial, everybody would be burning him with a petrol tank.

Brunner was going to bolt for money, and Alfredsson replaced the need for a right-handed point-man. Samuelsson was going to be bought out. He denied it and ate that roster spot from Nyquist. There still was a need for a grinder/net-front -type like Cleary in the team structure, with or without Brunner, Sammy and Alfie.

People have never understood this.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Time is irrelevant, but that's why Cleary gets all the hate in this debate.

Alfredsson replaced the need for a right-handed point-man. Samuelsson was going to be bought out. He denied it. There still was a need for a grinder/net-front -type like Cleary in the team structure, with or without Sammy and Alfie.

There was no need for Cleary, because he wasn't even good enough to be on an NHL roster last year.

It's not that we don't understand this, it's that we disagree. Those two things are different. No need to write that in every single one of your posts.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There was no need for Cleary, because he wasn't even good enough to be on an NHL roster last year.

It's not that we don't understand this, it's that we disagree. Those two things are different. No need to write that in every single one of your posts.

If Cleary took somebody's spot/role, it was Riley Sheahan's. But Sheahan did what Holland/Babcock wanted, pushed that veteran out being better and took a job. Andersson kind of accomplished the same.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Timing is irrelevant, but that's the reason why Cleary gets all the hate in this debate. If Cleary would have signed before that Sammy denial, everybody would be burning him with a petrol tank.

Brunner was going to bolt for money, and Alfredsson replaced the need for a right-handed point-man. Samuelsson was going to be bought out. He denied it and ate that roster spot from Nyquist. There still was a need for a grinder/net-front -type like Cleary in the team structure, with or without Brunner, Sammy and Alfie.

wait what

if their is one more spot on the life raft and someone jumps in front of you and gets on, you dont blame the 2nd or 3rd last guy to get on board you blame that last guy

cleary took nyquists spot as he was the last to sign, it was his signing that pushed us over the roster limit/cap that forced nyquist down

it is what it is, no need to try and go around it

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011
Who said there was?
nobody, it was implied when holland choose on purpose with intent and design to sign and play cleary over nyquist due to cap constraints and waiver eligibility

Hammerheart said Nyquist was sent down because of not being subject to waivers, which was ultimately true. My point was that sometimes it seems like the management act as if players should only make the NHL club when they are subject to waivers, when they "have" to be on the roster.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not as big on Iginla as most. To me he's like an aging Shanny, which I thought was good to move on from even though he could still score goals.
I like Alfie's vision more.

When you especially consider that Iginla likely isn't signing a 1 year deal, give me Alfie for 1 year vs Iginla for 2-3. Mantha and Pulkkinen aren't likely far away.

Detroit Sports*

I'm not as big on Iginla as most. To me he's like an aging Shanny, which I thought was good to move on from even though he could still score goals.
I like Alfie's vision more.

When you especially consider that Iginla likely isn't signing a 1 year deal, give me Alfie for 1 year vs Iginla for 2-3. Mantha and Pulkkinen aren't likely far away.

Iginla is easily the better player. Yesterday, today and tomorrow..

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Iginla. Not really close for me.

Grittier and a better goal scorer. Alfredsson plays more on the perimeter.

Kind of hard to ignore age since it factors completely into how they both are playing now.

At his peak, Alfredsson would have been a monster next to Zetterberg.

Obviously now, with Iginla younger and still scoring at a good pace, he's the guy more people would want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad