Helene St. James Alfredsson looking to come back

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kind of hard to ignore age since it factors completely into how they both are playing now.

At his peak, Alfredsson would have been a monster next to Zetterberg.

Obviously now, with Iginla younger and still scoring at a good pace, he's the guy more people would want.

Yeah Iginla being 5 years younger makes a big difference, and it should.

But boy, Iginla in his prime on this team would be insane too.

I like the edge Iginla plays with personally.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I've gotten the impression before that Iginla is not particularly interested in playing in Detroit. Might it be a Babcock thing? Wouldn't be surprised. I think lots of players are a little hesitant to play for him. Wouldn't put it past Joe Thornton, for example.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Iginla

or

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfie

In their prime??

Iginla was a 50 goal scorer who could be physical and mean when he wanted, but I still think I'd take Alfie's 2-way game and vision with the Euro twins.

You think about the dominant Pizza line in Ottawa. Then you think about 13 and 40 together. And you add the best 3 pieces of those lines together and have mercy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Iginla

or

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfie

In their prime??

Iginla was a 50 goal scorer who could be physical and mean when he wanted, but I still think I'd take Alfie's 2-way game and vision with the Euro twins.

You think about the dominant Pizza line in Ottawa. Then you think about 13 and 40 together. And you add the best 3 pieces of those lines together and have mercy.

Zeta-Dats-Alfie just won't happen. The Net-front guy will be there. Add Iginla, or Kesler, or survive with Abdelkader. That's the way Babcock goes by default.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zeta-Dats-Alfie just won't happen. The Net-front guy will be there. Add Iginla, or Kesler, or survive with Abdelkader. That's the way Babcock goes by default.

We're talking about all of these players in their prime. This is fantasy talk. And in my fantasy, Babcock has no control over my lines. They're playing together dammit!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've gotten the impression before that Iginla is not particularly interested in playing in Detroit. Might it be a Babcock thing?

It might be due to the fact we are constantly fighting for our playoff lives. Despite what Ken Holland suggests 8 seeds are not typically Cup contenders. Yes Los Angeles won one a few years ago but they changed coaches and had some major injuries to overcome. They also have a bunch of elite talent.

Boston is the most "west-like" Eastern Conference team. They are not soft and have a reasonably good chance of advancing to the Finals year in and year out. Pittsburgh just canned their GM and coach, the Rangers have a first-year coach who did well but they have no recent history of sustained success, Washington and Toronto are tire fires, etc.

There are a few teams in the west that might make sense for Iginla but perhaps he just likes what he has going on in Boston. Why risk playing for a team that is consistently a 6-8 seed rather than a team that is typically competing for the presidents trophy?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There are a few teams in the west that might make sense for Iginla but perhaps he just likes what he has going on in Boston. Why risk playing for a team that is consistently a 6-8 seed rather than a team that is typically competing for the presidents trophy?

They are in a very serious cap trouble. Pretty much they can't fit Iginla in. So maybe he has to explore other options.

If Igilna likes to stay at East and is trying to find a second-best team after Boston with capspace, pretty much Detroit is on that mix for sure.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
@HeleneStJames: Daniel Alfredsson & family to live in DET next season no matter what. He & #RedWings will wait till Aug to see how he feels, then talk deal.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
@HeleneStJames: Daniel Alfredsson & family to live in DET next season no matter what. He & #RedWings will wait till Aug to see how he feels, then talk deal.

That's ridiculous.

Who the **** does this guy think he is? Wings will have no leverage by August. There won't be any FA's left.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
That's ridiculous.

Who the **** does this guy think he is? Wings will have no leverage by August. There won't be any FA's left.

Maybe the Wings asked him to wait until than so they could figure out what is gonna happen at the draft and free agency, probably not but I wont question Alfie at all, he has played for a long long time and deserves to take his time.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Holland saved/created a roster spot for Dan Cleary, by throwing Nyquist in Grand Rapids Correctional Facility.

He will save a roster spot for Alfie.

Holland has already reserved his 9:00AM tee time on July 1st.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
@HeleneStJames: More on Daniel Alfredsson: He has told #RedWings he'll either play next season for them, or retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->