Helene St. James Alfredsson looking to come back

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I just hope this Alfredsson decision isn't going to mean Holland does nothing all offseason. Holland really should prepare to not have Alfie in a situation like this, and then if Alfie decides to return he should basically give him whatever money is left for him. That doesn't mean Holland should cap himself out and only prepare a joke of an offer for Alfie, but if Alfie can't get top dollar as a result of this- oh well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would think this would make Wings fans happy, considering it may keep Holland from overpaying for a forward they may not need and allow them the flexibility to put the kids in more demanding roles for the season.

Defense has been and should continue to be the priority. Alfredsson won't change that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So the cap estimation (71.1M) dropped 2.1M and the final figure is only 69.0M.

Because of those bonus overage it would be clever to re-sign Alfie with bonuses again and try to eat some extra space from 2015-16 cap.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Yeah there is no need to save space for just for Alfie, Wings can just offer whatever space there is left come August (bonuses could be ok for both), and Alfredsson can take it or leave it. Simple.

As a Swede it's kind of nice to watch Alfredsson play for the Wings, but I have a hard time to believe that Alfredsson is that good anymore, he's just too old. He is probably going to miss games next season, If he'll play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Alfie doesn't have to be "too good". Middle6 forward who can quarterback 2nd PP is the role I would consider for him. So a reduced role from last season. ~3.0M ("Sammy money" about a Sammy role) would be rigthful deal of his services on that kind role.

If he can't play all the games, we have Teemu Pulkkinen at Griffins to eat some games at exactly same role. Middle6 + 2nd PP right-handed QB duties. Or why not recall Sproul.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah there is no need to save space for just for Alfie, Wings can just offer whatever space there is left come August (bonuses could be ok for both), and Alfredsson can take it or leave it. Simple.

As a Swede it's kind of nice to watch Alfredsson play for the Wings, but I have a hard time to believe that Alfredsson is that good anymore, he's just too old. He is probably going to miss games next season, If he'll play.

I wouldn't offer whatever space is left. Wings should keep some space open for a deal at the deadline.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I wouldn't offer whatever space is left. Wings should keep some space open for a deal at the deadline.

let alone some space for possible call ups. wit GR being stacked with young talent, you should always be able to call up 1-2 players when there are minor injuries or when the team needs a wake up call. or when a player is destroying the AHL and needs to get a look at the NHL. ;)

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Alfredsson brings leadership, a right-handed shot, hard work, a valuable presence on the power play, and ~50 points. Veteran or not, he'd be a great player to have on the team again. He's perfectly fine as a bridge whilst more youngsters develop.

I daresay he proved his worth in all things last season.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Surprised how many people hate on Alfie. He was our leading scorer last season. We don't make the playoffs without him.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Ok, I rephrase then, offer him whatever space is deemed to be available, after this free agent frenzy.

My point is that I don't think it would hurt to have him back, but he shouldnt be a priority over lets say a good defenceman.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Surprised how many people hate on Alfie. He was our leading scorer last season. We don't make the playoffs without him.

It's strange that some people act like signing Alfie would be like signing Cleary. Alfie is still a real nice asset up front if he's healthy. If gladly welcome him back if we have room. If he plays most of the season with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have another good season. Even at his age.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Alfie > Iggy

That's a tough sell after last season. Iginla is seemingly still a healthy body and would get an even better center with us. However he's also likely more expensive this upcoming season and probably wants at least two years on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->