Prospect Info: Alexander Holtz (#7 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Maybe Holtz wanted the contract this way? I don’t know if there is some arcane financial benefit to him somehow overall. (I don’t know what it is, a player gets the same three signing bonuses no matter if their contract slides or not.)

I guess he doesn’t need the money, we did learn that. Most kids don’t turn down a chance to pocket the signing bonus immediately. (Unless he gets the signing bonus now anyway? Speculating about NHL contracts make my head hurt.) [edit: Thinking about it, the ELC starts in 2021-22, so he’ll presumably get his signing bonus for that season when everyone else does.]

Maybe the team didn’t want the pressure of throwing him in the NHL so they made it an impossibility?

These are the best guesses I got and I admit they aren’t great.

Raymond and Holloway both also signed recently for contracts that begin in 21-22. Edmonton may have cap issues this season but Detroit doesn't so maybe it's just a thing NHL teams did this year. Signing bonuses are subject to escrow so maybe the agents thought it'd be best to wait till next season?

It makes sense that this would result in more money, maybe, but given time value of money I would think you would still want the bonus in hand now. The scenarios where the Devils are capped out in Holtz's 3rd NHL season are remote but that ELC slide discount can be helpful.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It makes sense that this would result in more money, maybe, but given time value of money I would think you would still want the bonus in hand now. The scenarios where the Devils are capped out in Holtz's 3rd NHL season are remote but that ELC slide discount can be helpful.
If you don’t need the money then not losing a big chunk of it to escrow is a thing. Escrow is 20% this season, the highest it’s ever been and none of it will be refunded since the revenue is obviously not there. (Plus 10% of the players’ money after escrow is being held back and will be paid back, interest free, in installments later in 2022.)
And the drop off in escrow % is pretty significant and if escrow is functioning normally by then maybe you get some back of 6% withheld back.

2020-21 20%
2021-22 14-18% based on the HHR (Hockey Related Revenue)
2022-23 10%
2023-24 6%
2024-25 6%
2025-26 6%

By delaying his signing bonus Holtz pushes his last signing bonus to 2023-24. I did point out that this means he and his family probably also doesn’t need the money. Some players may want the ~66k now and don’t care about the long game here.

There may be other reasons and benefits to delaying the ELC. I don’t want to get into an argument about getting a smaller amount of money now and investing it vs waiting for a larger sum. I’m not the one making this decision. I’m just grateful @R8Devs pointed out a very plausible reason for the delay so I don’t have to keep wondering about it. I’m good with this unless something else is reported in the media.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
If an extra year in juniors helped produce the Ty Smith we're seeing now, I think a lap around the A can't hurt Holtz either.
I was against Ty playing his last year down in juniors, but I was fine with it for the first two years (when he won awards, so clearly worth it)

however I think his final season in The juniors robbed him of some earlier production and opportunity to get used to the NHL pace. Such as we saw with Jack (his gap control and spacing is insanely better from 18 to 19).

Ty still gets caught sometimes, especially when pivoting or crossing over, and its simply due to pacing issues. Though I dont think hes a high enough level of skater To be as good in transitional defense as id like him to be,l

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I was against Ty playing his last year down in juniors, but I was fine with it for the first two years (when he won awards, so clearly worth it)

however I think his final season in The juniors robbed him of some earlier production and opportunity to get used to the NHL pace. Such as we saw with Jack (his gap control and spacing is insanely better from 18 to 19).

Ty still gets caught sometimes, especially when pivoting or crossing over, and its simply due to pacing issues. Though I dont think hes a high enough level of skater To be as good in transitional defense as id like him to be,l

I mean if you were fine with Smith playing the two seasons after being drafted in juniors then you should be happy, that's all he played lol. It was those two seasons and now this year.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
Ive noticed a common theme among Devils fans (and some analysts) on various websites that people have Mercer above Holtz; Im curious if that is simply due to Dawson's improved production and Alexander's lack of production?

if this isnt the place to be asking this then my bad

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ive noticed a common theme among Devils fans (and some analysts) on various websites that people have Mercer above Holtz; Im curious if that is simply due to Dawson's improved production and Alexander's lack of production?

if this isnt the place to be asking this then my bad

Mercer got a bit boosted by a good WJC and a strong D+1 in the Q, but I think most of us feel like it was always close between them, and it's still close. They each have their own strengths.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
Mercer got a bit boosted by a good WJC and a strong D+1 in the Q, but I think most of us feel like it was always close between them, and it's still close. They each have their own strengths.
I may be on the outskirts of the common thought then.

I have Alexander as a top-5 prospect outside the NHL (I exclude any players who have a few NHL games played but are obviously going to stay up or do a small AHL stint, such as Zegras/Lafreniere/Byram, etc..)

I consider Holtz' array of shots to be the best of any player that a team currently owns the rights to outside the NHL. Were talking Laine-territory in terms of recent picks. I also think Alexander is better in other aspects of the game than Patrik is , especially in his determination and decision making (though Alex has had some stints where he is uninspired)

If Alexander plays next to Jack For most of his time here, which Id bet my life savings on, I think he could be challenging for Rocket Richards before hes 24. Add on to that the fact that his passing is another strong suit, along with his ability to create space from defenders, and youre talking about someone whos a threat to score anytime hes in the offensive zone and paired with a player of Jack's caliber

And I dont mention Jack to say Alex is only a great prospect if paired with him; moreso that a player of Alex's ilk is most compatible with someone like Jack

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If an extra year in juniors helped produce the Ty Smith we're seeing now, I think a lap around the A can't hurt Holtz either.
I think NJersey's record with highly touted Swedes that were 1st rounders is not good at all!!! Tedenby,Bergfors and Josefson should ring a bell. They need to keep Holtz in Sweden for another 2 years and quite believing that the AHL is a great developmental league it isn't,its pure garbage for the most part and not great for 18,19,20 year old youngsters needing a tonne of ice time

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think NJersey's record with highly touted Swedes that were 1st rounders is not good at all!!! Tedenby,Bergfors and Josefson should ring a bell. They need to keep Holtz in Sweden for another 2 years and quite believing that the AHL is a great developmental league it isn't,its pure garbage for the most part and not great for 18,19,20 year old youngsters needing a tonne of ice time

Ahh yes because players who were far worse than Holtz and were drafted 13, 16, and 12 years ago under a completely different regime were TOTALLY in a comparable situation...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille