Prospect Info: Alexander Holtz (#7 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Am I wrong that Holtz's contract won't ELC slide this year, and was he eligible to sign one that would? It's not a huge deal but it does mean the Devils don't get the savings of this year's signing bonus off his AAV in future years. There was a time when that was a big deal and there are still franchises where it is.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
His full season + playoffs highlights.

Even his shots off the post look sick haha! We need an elite shooter desperately, and he fits the bill. He even has a few greats passes in there. Maybe his playmaking abilities are underrated? Any word on his playmaking by any chance @StevenToddIves ?

I agree with other posters here that there is no need to rush him though, Smith is a perfect example here.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Am I wrong that Holtz's contract won't ELC slide this year, and was he eligible to sign one that would? It's not a huge deal but it does mean the Devils don't get the savings of this year's signing bonus off his AAV in future years. There was a time when that was a big deal and there are still franchises where it is.
Maybe Holtz wanted the contract this way? I don’t know if there is some arcane financial benefit to him somehow overall. (I don’t know what it is, a player gets the same three signing bonuses no matter if their contract slides or not.)

I guess he doesn’t need the money, we did learn that. Most kids don’t turn down a chance to pocket the signing bonus immediately. (Unless he gets the signing bonus now anyway? Speculating about NHL contracts make my head hurt.) [edit: Thinking about it, the ELC starts in 2021-22, so he’ll presumably get his signing bonus for that season when everyone else does.]

Maybe the team didn’t want the pressure of throwing him in the NHL so they made it an impossibility?

These are the best guesses I got and I admit they aren’t great.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Maybe Holtz wanted the contract this way? I don’t know if there is some arcane financial benefit to him somehow overall. (I don’t know what it is, a player gets the same three signing bonuses no matter if their contract slides or not.)

I guess he doesn’t need the money, we did learn that. Most kids don’t turn down a chance to pocket the signing bonus immediately. (Unless he gets the signing bonus now anyway? Speculating about NHL contracts make my head hurt.)

Maybe the team didn’t want the pressure of throwing him in the NHL so they made it an impossibility?

Could also be coming to the conclusion this might be the best for him long term.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

I guess he doesn’t need the money, we did learn that. Most kids don’t turn down a chance to pocket the signing bonus immediately. (Unless he gets the signing bonus now anyway? Speculating about NHL contracts make my head hurt.)

Raymond and Holloway both also signed recently for contracts that begin in 21-22. Edmonton may have cap issues this season but Detroit doesn't so maybe it's just a thing NHL teams did this year. Signing bonuses are subject to escrow so maybe the agents thought it'd be best to wait till next season?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Raymond and Holloway both also signed recently for contracts that begin in 21-22. Edmonton may have cap issues this season but Detroit doesn't so maybe it's just a thing NHL teams did this year. Signing bonuses are subject to escrow so maybe the agents thought it'd be best to wait till next season?
YOU ARE MY HERO. That’s going to be the right answer, the escrow cap this season is way high, plus the players agreed to partial deferred payments this season in the revised CBA.

Getting his third signing bonus in 2023-24 instead of getting one now would protect that money from a bigger escrow hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad