Injury Report: Alex Nylander to miss season with Knee Injury

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, weird, right? A torn meniscus seems like a surgery no-brainer. Must have been a moderate tear and the docs hoped surgery wasn't necessary. Another bad bet. Ugh.

Exactly. That's why I thought that something wrong. It's also a minor, routine procedure. You can go home right afterwards. No idea why they waited if it really was torn. My mum had that surgery done at 60 and went home by bicycle. 30' ride maybe. Next day she was doing garden work for hours. Obviously different from playing pro hockey but still...odd.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'd imagine you always try to avoid surgery if you can. It's disappointing for Nylander but if his knee was doing well and then he reaggravated the injury, surgery becomes unavoidable.

At least this helps to explain why he looked so good in the camp leading up to the Edmonton series before disappearing.

Don’t a lot of hockey players play through significantly worse injuries during the playoffs, and it doesn’t cause them to make bad decisions?

I get it may affect his skating, but does it explain everything?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Don’t a lot of hockey players play through significantly worse injuries during the playoffs, and it doesn’t cause them to make bad decisions?

I get it may affect his skating, but does it explain everything?

What's much more significant in hockey than a knee injury? It's hard to do anything in the NHL if you can't create any space for yourself with your skating. I don't know how bad his knee injury was or when it happened but it's not ideal for a guy playing in his first post-season, who was searching for some consistency in his game.

IIRC Jonathan Toews had a knee injury in game 6 against Philly in 2010. He didn't play much to end that game, I don't know if he got an OT shift before Kane scored but I remember reading an article saying he was really questionable for game 7 if the Hawks had lost. Same thing with Crosby against Detroit in 2009. He just rode the pine after he got his knee crunched by Franzen in the 2nd period.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What's much more significant in hockey than a knee injury? It's hard to do anything in the NHL if you can't create any space for yourself with your skating. I don't know how bad his knee injury was or when it happened but it's not ideal for a guy playing in his first post-season, who was searching for some consistency in his game.

IIRC Jonathan Toews had a knee injury in game 6 against Philly in 2010. He didn't play much to end that game, I don't know if he got an OT shift before Kane scored but I remember reading an article saying he was really questionable for game 7 if the Hawks had lost. Same thing with Crosby against Detroit in 2009. He just rode the pine after he got his knee crunched by Franzen in the 2nd period.
I recall some Q interview he admitted he put Toews out to take the overtime face-off and didnt play after. Luckily Kane took it in what 5-6 minutes.

I dont recall many bad decisions by Nylander other than a bad play of the puck game 1. After that he was just invisible and too invisible to even have notably bad decisions

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Yeah, weird, right? A torn meniscus seems like a surgery no-brainer. Must have been a moderate tear and the docs hoped surgery wasn't necessary. Another bad bet. Ugh.

ya but even if it is a moderate tear; being a young professional NHL player the meniscus is crucial and you would think Surgery for that is a no brainer.

my orthopaedic surgeon indicated to me that he would do a scope to clean up my left knee and that is because I am both a hockey and basketball official, he would not repair the meniscus though...but he did indicate to me if I was a high end/professional athlete he would have recommended and knocked out the surgery ASAP. He says he won't touch my right knee at all.

Sucks for me in some respects cause now I have to wait till I am older (I am 49 now) in order for me to get a knee replacement on the left because they don't want to do it too early as they may then have to replace it twice...then of coarse I would have to do the same on my right knee when it gets worse...

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
8DAF9721-4444-4F6F-AB54-192D80732D79.jpeg

Back on the ice skating

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't think I ever implied that they did. Just commenting on how amazing his hands are, since I didn't see anyone mention it.

Too bad about his thighs though.

You're a coach right? Is it a non-contact league? Just asking because I know there are plenty of non-contact beer leagues and the hockey can be fun to watch. But it ain't the NHL. Nothing close actually.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're a coach right? Is it a non-contact league? Just asking because I know there are plenty of non-contact beer leagues and the hockey can be fun to watch. But it ain't the NHL. Nothing close actually.

What the f*** does this stupidity have to do with anything I said?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What the f*** does this stupidity have to do with anything I said?
Cause watching a guy stickhandling between pucks is fun but nothing much else when it comes to evaluating a player who wants to play in the NHL. Nylander needs to work very hard to play in this league.... and he's off to a shaky start.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cause watching a guy stickhandling between pucks is fun but nothing much else when it comes to evaluating a player who wants to play in the NHL. Nylander needs to work very hard to play in this league.... and he's off to a shaky start.

Again, what the hell does this have to do with a simple comment about how good his hands are? You are the most contrary mother f***er I've ever seen. You argue just to argue, and 90% of the time it's just stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad