Injury Report: Alex Nylander to miss season with Knee Injury

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

No trying to be serious. Has any young 20ish old player who is still developing played that little hockey in 18 months and come back from it? Crosby missed like 100 games between 2010 and 2012 but he was already a fully developed phenom at that point.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well they're not asking you. And a guy who has skilled yet still played well on 4th lines certainly has potential.

But who do you think they should take off the roster? Theres the prospect Hagel who has shown nothing, the prospect Carlsson who has shown basically nothing, there Subban or Delia whoever is the worse of the 2 this season. The only other options may be Carpenter or Wallmark. The only solid good player option would be CDH and that's if he stays healthy. Plus he's then a 30 year old mostly defensive dman with a lot of injuries, not an interesting pick.

If Nylander is left open, he's definitely the most appealing pick

Nylander played well on the 4th line?

You can’t be serious.

I don’t know who they’ll take.... but I’d bet money it won’t be a guy who has been nothing but a colossal disappointment.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
The 18 month argument is such a hyperbole. He’s been training all summer as everyone else has and treating the knee conservatively with PT. Anyone who has a long term injury in the first 10 games could be asked the same question.

The injury is not serious. There was no resection and people often play even without a meniscus(see Keith). Nylander is going to be stapled to a chair in a press box all season long with someone like belfry and get some quality coaching. This could be good for him
No trying to be serious. Has any young 20ish old player who is still developing played that little hockey in 18 months and come back from it? Crosby missed like 100 games between 2010 and 2012 but he was already a fully developed phenom at that point.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Nylander played well on the 4th line?

You can’t be serious.

I don’t know who they’ll take.... but I’d bet money it won’t be a guy who has been nothing but a colossal disappointment.

How do you think he did in those games? Look at his games with Carpenter, Smith, or Highmore.. he had several solid all around games. In that role he did play better and numerous goals and assists of forechecking, picking off passes, and plays controlling the puck in the ozone. You probably think he was always just lazy and weak or just focus on the playoff play which was bad. Butnhe absolutely wasn't some soft show no promise player.

So not CHD and not Subban if you don't think they won't take disappointments. So a prospect like Carlsson or Hagel? Who showed less than Nylander or of they had great enough years may be protected in some way like via a trade offer?

Reactions: Malaka

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How do you think he did in those games? Look at his games with Carpenter, Smith, or Highmore.. he had several solid all around games. In that role he did play better and numerous goals and assists of forechecking, picking off passes, and plays controlling the puck in the ozone. You probably think he was always just lazy and weak or just focus on the playoff play which was bad. Butnhe absolutely wasn't some soft show no promise player.

So not CHD and not Subban if you don't think they won't take disappointments. So a prospect like Carlsson or Hagel? Who showed less than Nylander or of they had great enough years may be protected in some way like via a trade offer?
Hagel should get some NHL time this year imo.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hagel should get some NHL time this year imo.
Now yes, but if he really looks worth protecting they may go forward route anyway. It still is more likely if he or Wallmark look good. Keeling Nylander too then.

I like Murphy a lot but I've grown into not caring if he's protected. Once he gets extended he'll be 30. That's when they wisely traded Hjammer and the trend of Defensive Dmen staying healthy and good in their 30s isn't great.

(Of course they could protect him then trade him after ideally for something of good value, but is that value better than what will be lost?)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Now yes, but if he really looks worth protecting they may go forward route anyway. It still is more likely if he or Wallmark look good. Keeling Nylander too then.

I like Murphy a lot but I've grown into not caring if he's protected. Once he gets extended he'll be 30. That's when they wisely traded Hjammer and the trend of Defensive Dmen staying healthy and good in their 30s isn't great.

(Of course they could protect him then trade him after ideally for something of good value, but is that value better than what will be lost?)
They should trade Murphy as a rental imo. I'd have traded him already after the acquisition of Zadorov.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They should trade Murphy as a rental imo. I'd have traded him already after the acquisition of Zadorov.

Zadorov has nothing to do with Murphy. He's playing the left side. Do you think Boqvist and Mitchell can handle 20+ minutes every single night? Might be a tough ask...also, RD depth is thin already. Rather trade a lefty instead of your only RD vet. Seabrook may be the tank commander if healthy but that's about it.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Zadorov has nothing to do with Murphy. He's playing the left side. Do you think Boqvist and Mitchell can handle 20+ minutes every single night? Might be a tough ask...also, RD depth is thin already. Rather trade a lefty instead of your only RD vet. Seabrook may be the tank commander if healthy but that's about it.
This is only looking short term. The implications of long term are at hand too because of losing value for nothing.

You ideally want to come out of the expansion draft like the Hawks did last time. Getting a win. The next best thing is you are set up already having gotten value for players or set well so all you lose is someone who is not very valuable.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

McDavid has missed quite a bit and I am sure there are others.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Dino Ciccarelli

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well this should close book on the Joker trade disaster

Nylander was terrible so this really doesn't hurt team

Time to move on

Nylander will be playing in Europe 2 years from now IMO

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
McDavid has missed quite a bit and I am sure there are others.
The damage McDavid did to his knee is unbelievable and he went the non-surgical route. If anyone has an interest in this sort of thing I highly recommend the documentary "whatever it takes". PM me if you want a dropbox link

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
olli maatta?

his 2015&16 seasons he missed like 70+ games across shoulder and core muscle injuries in addition to thyroid cancer removal and having the mumps, all while he was 21

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I am not a Nylander fan but that sucks for the kid. I hope he has a speedy recovery and doesn't lose any of his speed.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Some meniscus injuries can be fixed quickly if they just cut some of it away.

If that have to repair it, then it can take six months to heal because the meniscus doesn’t get good blood flow.

Steve Mason had meniscus removed from both knees
Dr. Terry the hawks team doctor was an engineer at U of I before going medicine at the university of Chicago, he has some ideal based on engineering principles that you want to preserve the tissue and limit the changes in the capsule to maintain the natural biomechanics of the joint. It's not always that this is the best option long term, but the point is that he is so conservative with his treatment it could be called defensive doctoring. There are a lot of toys and ways to improve circulation if you have the medical attention of a pro athlete, I highly doubt it will take 6 months to start skating again for Nylander

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Powers & Laerus ($): What Alex Nylander's injury means for the Blackhawks

Sucks. What isn't clear is why didn't he have the surgery much sooner (the injury occurred during the playoffs). Guessing the docs thought he could rehab it without the surgery. He must've still been hampered, so cutting time.

my initial reaction was similar, torn meniscus in the playoffs of a young guy like him and the have surgery to repair on Monday, an insane amount of time after he incurred the injury...Something seems off.

I live with a torn meniscus in both knees, surgeon won't touch them cause I also have stage 3 arthritis in the left and stage 2 in the right.

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
my initial reaction was similar, torn meniscus in the playoffs of a young guy like him and the have surgery to repair on Monday, an insane amount of time after he incurred the injury...Something seems off.

I live with a torn meniscus in both knees, surgeon won't touch them cause I also have stage 3 arthritis in the left and stage 2 in the right.

Yeah, weird, right? A torn meniscus seems like a surgery no-brainer. Must have been a moderate tear and the docs hoped surgery wasn't necessary. Another bad bet. Ugh.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'd imagine you always try to avoid surgery if you can. It's disappointing for Nylander but if his knee was doing well and then he reaggravated the injury, surgery becomes unavoidable.

At least this helps to explain why he looked so good in the camp leading up to the Edmonton series before disappearing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00