Injury Report: Alex Nylander to miss season with Knee Injury

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No....I just think that there's a strong chance that he's gone to Seattle next year.
Nylander and de Haan are the key targets for them......I'd think they'd go with the younger kid that doesn't have a huge cap hit, but what do I know? Nylander is exactly the type of player that expansion drafters usually target.

You know for sure that they won’t protect him?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It depends on if they trade Murphy or not during the season. If they do, then they're protecting Nylander. If they don't, then they're not.

I surely don't want to lose Murphy for nothing.

Why would Murphy matter here? Are you thinking they’re only going to protect eight total skaters rather than seven forwards and three D?

Reactions: Pez68

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Why would Murphy matter here? Are you thinking they’re only going to protect eight total skaters rather than seven forwards and three D?
The only ways they get to protect both Murphy and Nylander is if they get Seabrook to waive, or they trade Strome.

7-3-1 leaves Murphy or Zadorov exposed
8 skaters leaves Nylander or Strome exposed.

This is the big thing:

Keith
Seabrook
Murphy/Zadorov

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The only ways they get to protect both Murphy and Nylander is if they get Seabrook to waive, or they trade Strome.

7-3-1 leaves Murphy exposed
Seabrook can be exposed if he agrees to it. I can’t imagine him refusing unless it’s out of petty spite and I don’t see that sitting well with the locker room.

Reactions: Pez68

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

7-3-1 leaves Murphy or Zadorov exposed

This is the big thing:

Keith
Seabrook
Murphy/Zadorov

So in your theory, they’re going eight total skaters and using half those spots on defensemen?

Keith
Seabrook
Murphy
Zadorov

then

Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome

Exposed:

Nylander
Hagel
de Haan
Carlsson
Shaw
The entire fourth line

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So in your theory, they’re going eight total skaters and using half those spots on defensemen?

Keith
Seabrook
Murphy
Zadorov

then

Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome

Exposed:

Nylander
Hagel
de Haan
Carlsson
Shaw
The entire fourth line

Yeah and in 7-3-1 it would leave one of Murphy/Zadorov exposed. It just depends on whether or not they trade Murphy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know. I'm no orthopaedist but does it really take 4-6 months to recover from a meniscus tear? Never had one but I thought that that's a pretty standart minor procedure, done within a few minutes locally at an orthopaedist surgeon. Usually no hospital stay needed. Also never heard of a conservative therapy to repair a meniscus. Something new maybe? Just seems odd to me that you'd wait for months and then opt for surgery just when the season is about to start.

Like I said...I'm no doctor and maybe somebody can correct me. Also don't mean to start a controversy.... but for me, something doesn't add up here.

Anyway, we now know the reason why he wasn't playing in Sweden the last months. Sorry for the kid and wishing speedy recovery but this might give him a chance for the reset he needed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you have it repaired it takes 4-6 months, if you have it clipped you are back in a few weeks.

Conservative approaches for meniscus tears are common at the start. Pro athletes are different though.

Last edited:

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Speaking from personal experience where I've had both knees torn, at different times. One knee recovered within a couple weeks. The other, 6 months later is still a bit wonky; 'course the doc described the second tear as "shredded". And I don't have to skate for a living.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Very bad timing for such a crucial time in his development. From the covid stop until he's ready for next season will be like 8 games played in a year and a half. That's a major setback no matter how you slice it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Just in time for the playoffs? Lol nah.

So does this mean he won't be eligible for expansion or maybe makes him less likely to be taken. Could help lead the team to choosing 8skater route

Should be eligible for the expansion draft with 2 professional seasons recorded. The NHL will only exempt injured players if it believes they likely have career-ending injuries and will never play again.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It’s unfortunate for a guy who was trying to make it, a lost season is disastrous for him.

We probably replace him with a guy who may not be as naturally talented, but more willing to play a two way game as part of a system. I was struggling to place him in the lineup as a combo of Kane-Nylander would be a mess on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad