Player Discussion: Alex Iafallo

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'd have likely screamed the F bomb,, I mean he was on a mountain camping ffs. When you gonna get a better chance

Seems like he's excited

John Lu even messes up a zoom call

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Just goes to show how easy it is to fool some of the people all of the time.

News flash: players lie. Film at 11.
news flash: people on the internet are more likely to be the ones to lie/make up bullshit

no shit he's going to play up being here.. but the fact that some people thought he spoke to the media before today and complained about his reaction to the trade based on nothing should just be proof that everyone should take what's said around here with a grain of salt

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
news flash: people on the internet are more likely to be the ones to lie/make up bullshit

no shit he's going to play up being here.. but the fact that some people thought he spoke to the media before today and complained about his reaction to the trade based on nothing should just be proof that everyone should take what's said around here with a grain of salt
Salt makes everything taste better. :nod:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Guys, another 3 pages about the topic of "He doesn't want to be here". Seriously? Is this EVER going to stop?

It's not complicated: A guy like Iafallo that LITERALLY is big into SoCal and surfing who has never played for another market, yet a market in Manitoba Canada probably isn't thrilled he gets traded there as first reaction? How can you make a thing out of it and discuss it for 3 pages? No he didn't say anything bad. No he isn't being a problem that wants a trade because of that already.

Is he maybe changing his opinion about WPG, Manitoba? Maybe? Yes? No? There are SO many factors involved in a process like that. How does he like the staff? What is his role going to be as part of the group? How is his on-ice success looking like? How is his gf/wife gonna be like about it? And that is just the beginning of all the factors that contribute in a human psychological reception of something, especially as big as the opinion he develops of his place of living.

"But he makes 8 million" - "boo hoo for him". That is just so narrow minded. It absolutetly doesn't matter how much money he makes, he's still allowed to have sentiments about his sourrunding. "but people in the military" in what possible way does it make sense to compare a professional hockey player maybe being a little bummed about the fact he has been traded from Los Angeles to Winnipeg to a solider being called for duty in some war country? The only thing that I make out of this comparison is the fact that people threat professional sports too much like serious matter of life and death business - AKA war.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
And that's why no one wants to play here.
Like probably 90% of it, ya. It must suck to have to sign autographs for people who are so insecure even in their sports fandom that they go wild on you for the slightest indiscretion. Everybody recognizes you. You can't even get gas without participating in a group discussion about your giveashits/60. Probably flattering but annoying when the team is good, hell when it's not clicking.

Reactions: Jet

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Omg guys

Came in here to see if there was any more insight about his play and you're still going on and on :laugh:

I think his interview was fine, looked and sounded exactly like someone on the comedown of a great camping trip

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Omg our board needs therapy :laugh:

Funny how two of our trusted fans from other continents can laugh at the Peggers for our hilarious insecurity complex.

I moved around allot in my 20’s (NHL players age) for work and I only lived in one city I planned to stay in long term. No matter what I thought about the city, even when I knew it would never be my home, it had zero impact on my job performance.

It’s not a civic popularity contest, these guys are pros and are competitive, they need to keep optimizing their brand to get maximum pay. They will show up and kick ass for us because it’s in their best interest.

It’s their profession this isn’t a holiday destination.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Funny how two of our trusted fans from other continents can laugh at the Peggers for our hilarious insecurity complex.

I moved around allot in my 20’s (NHL players age) for work and I only lived in one city I planned to stay in long term. No matter what I thought about the city, even when I knew it would never be my home, it had zero impact on my job performance.

It’s not a civic popularity contest, these guys are pros and are competitive, they need to keep optimizing their brand to get maximum pay. They will show up and kick ass for us because it’s in their best interest.

like, omg

Nah, love you guys. Winnipeg is what it is but you don't have to pre-emptively feel players feelings for them, or they might just come true. :sarcasm:

But I am also absolutely chilling in sunny SW France making not much money at all, and if you told me I had to move to idk, Mulhouse, for work in September, I'd still have to think long and hard about it even if you promised to double my salary. :laugh:

Hopefully Iafallo can thrive on the Jets while keeping up a lil Pacific rim summer residence.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep.

We were recruited from the UK for a residency in a specialty that a WPG clinic was (and is) regarded as a significant global innovator in. It was a jolt initially in some ways (culture, climate, walkability, nearness to other places we wanted to visit and so on) but also a revelation (food, parks, nearby lakes, clean air, culture, community and general work practices, and so on) and we had a great time in the city and learned a ton. Said clinic remains a key global innovator across several areas of specialization, and has little difficulty attracting top recruits partly as a result of that, and because WPG is a very easy place to sell as a unique place to work and live for exhausted and overstretched docs and researchers from my part of the world, who are fed up and burnt out and are looking for a fresh start in a more relaxed and less stressful environment, etc.

Obviously all fields are different, and professional hockeyeurs are their own particular kind of cat, but the whole "WPG Factor" is IMO relentlessly overplayed, and often by Winnipeggers. When we were asked "Why com here?" we started by listing off all the advantages to dubious listeners and eventually just pivoted to "Why not?"

I get it, but I guess I'd rather hear a whole lot less of it were I a player on his way here for a stint. I'd much rather the conversation went elsewhere and that the self-loathing made way for the stubborn pride we also see here and in other great sporting cities (which, to be fair, if often does).

Anyway, I agree with @GJF -- time to move on to the hockey and stop doing the work of The Haters for them. Less fragility, less anger at those who leave, more confidence that when a Sam Gagner (or anyone) says that they loved their time in the city, they meant it. And that a pro hockey player is focused on playing hockey for the most part and is going to fall just a little bit in love with the fans and the town that love him. Just drop the puck already. FGS.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
"but people in the military" in what possible way does it make sense to compare a professional hockey player maybe being a little bummed about the fact he has been traded from Los Angeles to Winnipeg to a solider being called for duty in some war country? The only thing that I make out of this comparison is the fact that people threat professional sports too much like serious matter of life and death business - AKA war.

On this point about the military ... if people think that guys in the military aren't unhappy when told they're being deployed somewhere, I've got news for them. Also, soldiers absolutely LOVE to complain, it's when they get quiet that as a leader you need to get worried.

I have no issue with someone having some emotions at learning they've been traded and some trepidation. As long as the guy has enough of an open mind to give the new place a chance to grow on him it's all good AFAIC. Seems like Iaffalo is willing to give MB a chance and I'm sure that like many who've been traded to the Jets he'll end up enjoying his time a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00