Player Discussion: Alex Iafallo

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's not like they are paying him millions for doing nothing. Those paying him millions make many many many more millions than the players for actually doing nothing.
I imagine starting a success business is a lot harder than shooting a puck really hard.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I imagine starting a success business is a lot harder than shooting a puck really hard.

Depends on how you got your start. Some of us are born in satin, others aren't so lucky. Either way players are entitled to have an opinion on where they play. Sure they have to play there anyways as they are under contract but they are allowed to feel the way they feel and the amount of Jets fans that always play the "oooooohh boo hoo" card is probably just another of the myriad of reasons as to why players hate this market.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Depends on how you got your start. Some of us are born in satin, others aren't so lucky.
I mean nhl hockey players aren’t just guys who work really hard. They are born the best athletes and are rewarded for it at every stage of their lives just like millionaires who are owners. Just imagine owners still have to sit in board rooms not slap pucks.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I see him getting 45+ points if he plays with Scheif and Perfetti.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean nhl hockey players aren’t just guys who work really hard. They are born the best athletes and are rewarded for it at every stage of their lives just like the millionaires who are owners. But have to deal with boring meetings instead of just hours on ice. The interesting cases are the tweeners like Tanev who go undrafted.

Anyone who thinks athletes are just born with it has no idea how hard these guys work. They put in countless hours to become what they are. Athletic talent isn't some god given gift. It's not a gift at all. It's a reward for working their asses off to get better. Countless hours perfecting skating, shooting, passing, stick handling, weight training, cardio and the ability to do it all at high speeds while getting physically mauled by the competition.

I'd reckon most NHL players have put in more work on the ice alone than any billionaire has ever worked in their entire lives. Billionaires are always put on this pedestal but show me any billionaire and I'll show you the team they have beneath them that really does the actual hard work while they spend their days hitting the links and yachting in the French Riviera.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Anyone who thinks athletes are just born with it has no idea how hard these guys work. They put in countless hours to become what they are. Athletic talent isn't some god given gift. It's not a gift at all. It's a reward for working their asses off to get better. Countless hours perfecting skating, shooting, passing, stick handling, weight training, cardio and the ability to do it all at high speeds while getting physically mauled by the competition.

I'd reckon most NHL players have put in more work on the ice alone than any billionaire has ever worked in their entire lives. Billionaires are always put on this pedestal but show me any billionaire and I'll show you the team they have beneath them that really does the actual hard work while they spend their days hitting the links and yachting in the French Riviera.
I disagree. Do you know how many of those athletes parents are great athletes? They are born with great hand-eye coordination that most ppl don’t possess from the moment they touch the ice. None of them are the worst players on their a3 hockey team that just outwork everyone.
They put the same number of hours as their teammates at first and are rewarded for it that’s why they and everyone else believe they have potential for more. Any of them slack off they would still be on their provincial teams.
I outwork everyone I still have bad hand-eye as I’m not born with the same gifts. The guy who was the best player on my high school basketball team never put any extra hours in gym, no extra cardio, but he was naturally the most hand eye coordinated. The best players are like that and then put in extra effort to go extra distance but to doubt it is a gift you are born with, dont know what to tell you.

The ceo of companies have to make decisions that affect thousands of lives not do I pass or shoot.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I disagree. Do you know how many of those athletes parents are great athletes? They are born with great hand-eye coordination that most ppl don’t possess from the moment they touch the ice. None of them are the worst players on their a3 hockey team that just outwork everyone.
They put the same number of hours as their teammates at first and are rewarded for it that’s why they and everyone else believe they have potential for more. Any of them slack off they would still be on their provincial teams.
I outwork everyone I still have bad hand-eye as I’m not born with the same gifts.

The ceo of companies have to make decisions that affect thousands of lives not do I pass or shoot.

Or you just didn't work as hard as you thought. Hand eye coordination can be taught at younger ages, I have a buddy who was absolutely terrible at hand eye coordination, he was a bad skater and he was mostly uncoordinated. He worked his ass off to get better from a young age, he knew what he wanted and he put in more work than anyone can imahine and ended up making it to the Dub. One bad shoulder injury ruined what was likely a pro level career. When was the last time a CEO got injured doing their job and their entire career was over due to it? Never, yeah I thought so.

f*** CEO's

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Or you just didn't work as hard as you thought. Hand eye coordination can be taught at younger ages, I have a buddy who was absolutely terrible at hand eye coordination, he was a bad skater and he was mostly uncoordinated. He worked his ass off to get better from a young age, he knew what he wanted and he put in more work than anyone can imahine and ended up making it to the Dub. One bad shoulder injury ruined what was likely a pro level career. When was the last time a CEO got injured doing their job and their entire career was over due to it? Never, yeah I thought so.

f*** CEO's
That’s a simplistic look at ceos since many started their own company putting all their money in risking everything. Yeah, they don’t get physical injuries but risk their homes. They invent things which actually improve world like medical breakthroughs. Also interesting you are willing to think everything is hard work other than business.

Also you have no clue how hard I worked.
How many a3 hockey players make it to the pros vs guys who start in A1. You can work hard and make the most of what’s there like a sculpture but someone who can’t do math isn’t going to be a rocket scientist nor would they want to be or stick to it. They’d find something that is a better fit.

Most players have parents who played at Olympic or professional level or college at worst.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That’s a simplistic look at ceos since many started their own company putting all their money in risking everything. Yeah, they don’t get physical injuries but risk their homes. They invent things which actually improve world like medical breakthroughs.

Also you have no clue how hard I worked.
How many a3 hockey players make it to the pros vs guys who start in A1.

Most players have parents who played at Olympic or professional level or college at worst.

Do CEO's invent things like medical breakthroughs? Or is it the team of countless scientists and people working under them that invent things? The ones doing the actual leg work, putting in the actual labour. CEO's just get to claim all the fame for the REAL hard work of others. Like I said behind every billionaire CEO is an even better team of skilled and unskilled labourers, scientists, marketers, coders and technicians.

There's a reason athletic parents raise athletic kids. It's because they know the hard work that goes into what they do and know how to nurture that hard work from an early age.

Those who say someone has a god given gift are just completely and totally unaware of the hard work it takes to be great because they aren't great. They tell themselves that everyone elses talent is natural to cope with the fact they didn't do the work themselves. No one is born a great athlete or musician or painter they work hard to hone their craft and put in more hours than anyone who can't do those things will ever know or appreciate.

You're right I don't know how hard you worked all I know is you didn't work hard enough.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
f*** CEO's
I've got a t-shirt for that...

20210419_054838.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Do CEO's invent things like medical breakthroughs? Or is it the team of countless scientists and people working under them that invent things? The ones doing the actual leg work, putting in the actual labour. CEO's just get to claim all the fame for the REAL hard work of others. Like I said behind every billionaire CEO is an even better team of skilled and unskilled labourers, scientists, marketers, coders and technicians.

There's a reason athletic parents raise athletic kids. It's because they know the hard work that goes into what they do and know how to nurture that hard work from an early age.

Those who say someone has a god given gift are just completely and totally unaware of the hard work it takes to be great because they aren't great. They tell themselves that everyone elses talent is natural to cope with the fact they didn't do the work themselves. No one is born a great athlete or musician or painter they work hard to hone their craft and put in more hours than anyone who can't do those things will ever know or appreciate.

You're right I don't know how hard you worked all I know is you didn't work hard enough.
A poor man will never provide employment, including to athletes.
Entrepreneurship is the wheel that makes the world go round.
Proclaiming they don’t work as hard athletes and others is nonsensical.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A poor man will never provide employment, including athletes.
Entrepreneurship is the wheel that makes the world go round.
Proclaiming they don’t work as hard athletes and others is nonsensical.

And employers are nothing without the people doing the actual work. It's a relationship yet one side is put on a pedastal like they are providing something no one else is capable of providing while the other side is generally looked down on by the employer class. The only thing separating the two is money in the bank. Which many actually do have a huge advantage at the moment they emerge from the womb.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
And employers are nothing without the people doing the actual work. It's a relationship yet one side is put on a pedastal like they are providing something no one else is capable of providing while the other side is generally looked down on by the employer class. The only thing separating the two is money in the bank. Which many actually do have a huge advantage at the moment they emerge from the womb.
Dear God, please stop with this eat the rich nonsense.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's fair to say that athletes who reach the pinnacle of their sport have both great genetics AND work ethic.

It's also fair to say that most CEOs come from a certain class and reap the benefits of running in elite circles and attending prestigious institutions. But they also work hard

These things aren't binary. Like most issues, there are nuances that need to be discussed

It also goes without saying that there are exceptions to every rule

Sheesh

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
You’re talking as if the average NHLer’s parents didn’t spend 100s of thousands of dollars on their hockey training. Just a coincidence? I guess those poor kids just didn’t work hard enough…

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dear God, please stop with this eat the rich nonsense.

I ain't gonna eat any rich people they probably taste horrible. Wouldn't mind launching a few of them into the sun.

You’re talking as if the average NHLer’s parents didn’t spend 100s of thousands of dollars on their hockey training. Just a coincidence? I guess those poor kids just didn’t work hard enough…

I'll grant you that hockey is different compared to most other sports. Its limited to a segment of the population that can't really just pickup and play.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
So aside from the random chatter, what does Iafallo bring to the lineup? I know the name, but I've not really followed him. Is he going to be another solid addition like Nino was?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So aside from the random chatter, what does Iafallo bring to the lineup? I know the name, but I've not really followed him. Is he going to be another solid addition like Nino was?
"A hard worker, he is a forward who can clean up a lot of his teammates' mistakes before they wind up in the net. Is not the most skilled player in the league, but he gets to the front of the net, has plenty of grit and the ability to recover pucks. He can be an excellent third wheel for two offensive-minded linemates."
Excellent winger for Scheif and Perfetti.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I believe Iafallo is suppose to speak to the media today, along with LB. Hopefully he has had enough time to come to grips with the trade and can put a smile on today, albeit fake

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I believe Iafallo is suppose to speak to the media today, along with LB. Hopefully he has had enough time to come to grips with the trade and can put a smile on today, albeit fake
Didn't you get the memo? He's coming here to win the Cup. He's gonna go all Eddie O with the media. :nod:

Reactions: GNP

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
From the little DD I've been able to do, Iafallo seems like a solid addition and a great guy. I'm impressed that he is processing the trade before speaking out and that he was (by all reports) so loyal to his former team. I suspect that loyalty will translate well when he makes the mental/emotional transition to his new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad