Prospect Info: Alex DeBrincat - 2016 39th Overall (RW) /// UPDATE 11/7: signed to 3-yr ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Brett Hull floated around to get in spaces and lanes to get his shot off. I'm not saying this kid has that kind of shot, but a sniper does what he needs to score goals. This kid likes to shoot the puck too----Teravainen had a pass first mentality.

Again in the short sample I've seen of his play, he will be a playmaker first and not a true sniper in the NHL. What is worrisome to me is his intensity level - he seems to rely on his teammates to do most of the digging; perhaps a talented kid who is a bit too comfortable at a time (in the playoffs) where he should be stepping up his intensity to another level. Hopefully we will see a grittier, more complete player in the finals.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Brett Hull floated around to get in spaces and lanes to get his shot off. I'm not saying this kid has that kind of shot, but a sniper does what he needs to score goals. This kid likes to shoot the puck too----Teravainen had a pass first mentality.

Again in the short sample I've seen of his play, he will be a playmaker first and not a true sniper in the NHL. What is worrisome to me is his intensity level. He seems to rely on his teammates to do most of the digging; perhaps a talented kid who is a bit too comfortable at a time (in the playoffs) where he should be stepping up his intensity to another level. Hopefully we will see a grittier, more complete player in the finals.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Brett Hull could get away with it because in his prime he averaged more than a goal per game.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
DeBrincat just showed his quick release. Wasn't the hardest shot but it got to the net quickly .... still waiting to be impressed though.

Strome got a beauty. Now that caught my attention.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Have not been impressed by DeBrincat in this tournament ...Normally we see him pouncing on pucks and getting off great shots or leading transitions...none of that ..His intensity way off to how he played in regular season and in playoffs prior to the Memorial Cup. .but he just seems off ...not crisp at all. .

In contrast ...very impressed with Graham Knott in tracking pucks and checking and net front play ...scored a PP goal to tie game up 3-3 ...DeBrincat got an assist on the Strome goal for Erie ...but you cannot say he looks very starry ...Knott took a retaliatory slash penalty in the Windsor o-zone so coaches hat that lack of discipline ...DeBrincat took a lazy hooking penalty in his d-zone on a 4 on 4 ...,making it a 4 on 3 for Windsor then a 5x3 ..that could have hurt Erie but they managed to escape..So some good and bad from our guys ...Still..wanted to see something that made DeBrincat special...have not seen it in this turnament ...just seems off.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So 3 -3 in the early 3rd...Windsor takes a penalty..Finally DeBrincat shows his normal quick realese shot and hits the post. And Erie fails to whack I the rebound.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Windsor takes 4-3:lead off a great rush by Bracco who made a great dish back to the trailer in the slot ..

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
DeBrincat has been a lot more noticeable in the third so far. I think he's been playing hurt though. He doesn't look as tenacious or as willing around the boards as he was when I saw him in the OHL championship. I know he took a big hit at some point in the memorial cup and missed some time. Wouldn't be suprised if he's still a little banged up.

Agree on Knott though. He's been great tonight.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
DeBrincat sends another shot on goal but right to the mid-sectiom of DiPietro. .So DeBrincat's shot just nit starting like it did all season till this tournament ..Knott gets a break-away in all alone but cannot finnish it ..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Strome point shot deflected by Cirelli and hits post with extra man on as Erie pulled goalie..Then a clear by Windsor but a rush back in shot and DiPietro saves the day ...Game now over ..Windsor wins the Memorial Cup in front of their home fans..Won all games in the tournament. .Beat Erie twice...44 games off then undefeated in the tournament ...The Wanted it more..And a bit 9f luck in the 3rd period tonight as Erie hit 2 posts...game of inches. ..but still...Erie's stats were not good enough when it counted..DeBrincat especially way of his game from the regular season. .or credit to Windsor fprvtheirvintensity and he'd checking and taking away time and space.I think Windsor just OUT-WORKED the 3 CHL league Champs ..and OUT-WORKED Erie again in this Final game.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Actually ...Graham Knott might have had 2 other goals had he finished on 2 grade A chances (one a break-away)..His PP goal was badicalky a tap into a gaping net on 5he PP when he was at the net biff to the Erie goalie's left crease area and thecriss-crease pass put right on his stick ..but he miffed another chance at the crease on another bang-bang play and did not convert on a clear break-away. ..Still going 1/3 grade A scoring chances ...not bad

DEBRINCAT did get an assist on a Strome goal but on DeBrincat's shots ...I think only the one hitting the post might be classed dagerous scoring chance ...though even that one was not launched with thevusual mustard on it ..In other words his shots were more routine. .
...did not look special" as so many during the season did...True Windsor did not allow a litvofvtime and space..but that was DeBrincat's fortin the season...that he coukd getvonebofvthise and getvoff hard goalie-beating quick release shots that even when tgey did not get past goalies ,still looked dangerous..U just never saw him.look dangerous this tournament...and especialkybagaibstcWindsor..Either they "handled " him into hardlycactgreat ...or he was off in his game A bit of both I think.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
DeBrincat finished with 1 a and 7 shots on goal and +1 ...Knott was 1g 0a and +1: ...but as I said 9f thev shots of DeBrincat only the bone off then post was dangerous...the other 6, I never thought were that good enough not to be saved by DiPietro .. but in Kott's case he had only 3 shot chances on goal..got the net crease tap in by being there to whack in the pass 9ver to him ......had another grade A chance on a bang-bang pkay by going g to the net hard ..but muffedvthecshotva bit and it was stopped ..and then the break-away that he did notvc9nvert. BUT my point is he earned 3 dangerous scoring chances ...DeBrincat had 7 shots . But I never thought he Earned anything that dangerous for scoring on any of them....including the one off the post . His shots and chances ...not of high grade A quality ...Knott at least worked hard for his quality chances ..Knott hustled. DeBrincat coasted ...that I think sums up what I saw. And even if othervstarsv9n Erie also failed to provide their best efforts and their best starry game s tonight too. That cannot excuse tge rather unimpressive shoe from DeBrincat in this most important contest .As Ibsaidvitblookedvlije Windsor just wanted it more, and was prepared to work together for the mission and bring it all home .

WITH more luck ,Erie coukd have won it 5-4 had 2 posts not stopped them ..but in the endvthevhocjeyvgods rewarded HARD WORK over the more skilled talent ..Who won the puck races who won the board battles. ....who checked the hardest...who Worked the hardest? Windsor . and so they DESERVED this Memorial Cup Championship...They EARNED it .

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
DeBrincat finished with 1 a and 7 shots on goal and +1 ...Knott was 1g 0a and +1: ...but as I said 9f thev shots of DeBrincat only the bone off then post was dangerous...the other 6, I never thought were that good enough not to be saved by DiPietro .. but in Kott's case he had only 3 shot chances on goal..got the net crease tap in by being there to whack in the pass 9ver to him ......had another grade A chance on a bang-bang pkay by going g to the net hard ..but muffedvthecshotva bit and it was stopped ..and then the break-away that he did notvc9nvert. BUT my point is he earned 3 dangerous scoring chances ...DeBrincat had 7 shots . But I never thought he Earned anything that dangerous for scoring on any of them....including the one off the post . His shots and chances ...not of high grade A quality ...Knott at least worked hard for his quality chances ..Knott hustled. DeBrincat coasted ...that I think sums up what I saw. And even if othervstarsv9n Erie also failed to provide their best efforts and their best starry game s tonight too. That cannot excuse tge rather unimpressive shoe from DeBrincat in this most important contest .As Ibsaidvitblookedvlije Windsor just wanted it more, and was prepared to work together for the mission and bring it all home .

WITH more luck ,Erie coukd have won it 5-4 had 2 posts not stopped them ..but in the endvthevhocjeyvgods rewarded HARD WORK over the more skilled talent ..Who won the puck races who won the board battles. ....who checked the hardest...who Worked the hardest? Windsor . and so they DESERVED this Memorial Cup Championship...They EARNED it .

Yep. I agree.

In his (or any players defense) the format of this tourney makes it difficult to maintain timing and focus. IMO, when the wick is turned up if that is his best DeBrincat will have difficulty making the NHL....

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yep. I agree.

In his (or any players defense) the format of this tourney makes it difficult to maintain timing and focus. IMO, when the wick is turned up if that is his best DeBrincat will have difficulty making the NHL....

Or....there was a hint that somebody the Erie players had some illness before this game ..not saying g it was an excuse but if DeBrincat was one of the Erie players under the weather such that he did not look "normal" ...then we might forgive the less than starry performance ...he can play better..I saw many many Erie games this season ...but for whatever reason ....he certainly did not elevate to his "A" game effort in this game and in the tournament despite picking up points ...When he is on his game ..he is the one who pounces on loose pucks first ...he is the one who gets to the heavy traffic slot area. ..he is the bone who takes pucks away and makes transition attacks the other direction. ..he is the bone who gets off incredible quick release shots that beatvgialues beforevtheybcam move to cover it ...he is the one who makes incredible on thevtspe passes from heavy traffic...we just saw none of any of these special qualities in this tornament. .Was he tired?hurt?I'll? Do not know. .but whatever hevjusyvfodvnotbpkay "mornal" to his abilities..too much floating and perimeter and surprisingly too slow to loose pucks ..Likevthis energy and want were nitvthere. SO do not know if this was a character flaw that he could not match the want of the Windsor players checking him (though other Erie stars also did not pay their best too) ...or due to some physical cause or illness or tiredness..
Tge Windsor guys had the 44 day layoff which they used to train hardcand actually elevate their c9nditioningvto peak..they hot faster as a team than they showed in regular season. .Well rested forvthevtournament and in better shape than they were all season..After several tough rounds getting through the OHL playoffs maybe Erie and DeBrincat more banged up and tired ..Maybe ...it looked like it. .

Still with all on the line you gotta dig deep and show your best effort..DeBrincat and his Erie team-mates just did nitv"bring it"..

I do not know what that says about his transition to the pro level..

I hate using a tired or banged up excuse even if it might be true..You just gotta sucknitbup and EXERT in the biggest games and game of the year. SO he did disappoint me with his play .I have seen a lot better from him..Hopefully this was an aberration not to be repeated in his attempt to gain a rostercdpitvwith the Blackhawks. FLOATING around and being late to loose pucks will not cut it. Stars gotta star ...nit surrender to their checks .

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The only way I see him having trouble transitioning to the NHL is if he's forced to 'earn' top6 minutes by playing in the bottom 6 with grinders.

If he's put beside skill players from the get go, I don't foresee many problems at all.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
The only way I see him having trouble transitioning to the NHL is if he's forced to 'earn' top6 minutes by playing in the bottom 6 with grinders.

If he's put beside skill players from the get go, I don't foresee many problems at all.

I keep seeing warning flags about this kid. He didn't show much at the Hawks camp; he didn't make the world juniors and now he has a very mediocre Memorial Cup. Yes, he had a great OHL season and he may still have a great NHL career but there are a few negatives for sure.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think we're seeing the reasons he fell to the mid 2nd round. The odds are stacked against guys drafted in this range.

I think it's more or less people are making a big deal out of an extremely small sample size after the longest hockey season of his life thusfar. It's just a bigger deal cause these games were on national TV and it was most people's first viewings of him. I got to see a few Otters OHL playoff games and he was way more noticeable everywhere.

It's a lot more likely that rumors of a bug going around the room we're true or DeBrincat was still fighting through an injury.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well he was 3rd in scoring (pts) in the a memorial Cup Tournament ...only 1 point back of Strome and T. Raddysh who had 12 points each to DeBrincat's 10 points..that is not really "mediocre"...but it bis just that he did not play his Normal game in the Final or indeed in the whole tournament ..AS I stated that in his usual game alk season when he brought his A game at least 80% or more not the games..he showed tge ability to get to loose pucks and make plays off it. .to get to the slit areas and then the quick release shot that beatvgialues sp many times..the take-aways ...the recovery when he got a puck striped but the quick stick got it right back...all of this we just did nit see in this very short sample of games As I said...tired from a hard set of playoffs ve a well rested and single focused for 44 days then each game 9f the Mem Cup Windsor team? I'll due to a Buf going through the Erie club that made a lot of them play not their very best? DEBRINCAT Playing through some injury ...a combo not all that?Who knows? Just saying that despite his finishing 3rd in the points ..he was not on his game in this tournament .Does not mean he cannot ever find his A game again...

I have see his best . And when he plays that way he can be very special... Too bad fans who never have seen him before the Memorial Cup ,could not see him at his best .

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Looks like his underlying numbers were still excellent; I think this latest hand-wringing may be much ado about nothing.

DBBwoFcUwAAYZjU.jpg:large

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Looks like his underlying numbers were still excellent; I think this latest hand-wringing may be much ado about nothing.

DBBwoFcUwAAYZjU.jpg:large

Unless you watched the games of course.

I'll go with the injury (or sickness) excuse for now cause that certainly wasn't an effective player (ready for the NHL) that we witnessed in the last 3 games of the tourney.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I think we're seeing the reasons he fell to the mid 2nd round. The odds are stacked against guys drafted in this range.

Reason why he was drafted in the second round is his 5'7 frame mainly mixed with a subpar foot speed. I think his draft position is fitting for a player like him, still to this day after leading the OHL it's still pretty hard to tell if his scoring translate to the NHL. Small guys like him in order to be successful in the NHL have to be fast and he is not that quick on his feet. He still needs a lot of work to make it happen with the big club.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

He fell to the 2nd Round because he is 5'7 and isn't lightning fast. No more no less. Period.

Also, people using a player making a WJC squad or not as a barometer for anything projecting their NHL careers are running a fool's errand. There have been many a deserving player omitted from WJC rosters, especially in the case of Team USA in recent years. It was a highly controversial decision, at that. But it doesn't mean anything regarding his NHL prospects of lack thereof, nor does it for anyone else whether they make a team, tear it up, don't make a team, or fizzle in their performance. Way too much stock is put into that tournament by people, positive and negative.

It's just amusing that a guy can tear up a league for three years and then when he struggles some in the final handful, whatever the reason may be, all of a sudden none of the rest means anything. Especially when talking about a 19 year old kid. There are things to legitimately be concerned about with his game and its translation to the NHL. If those are the worries, fine. They're warranted. The rest of this stuff is just microscopic-sample size fluff and unnecessary hand-wringing. But hey, everyone's entitled to have it however they see fit I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad