Prospect Info: Alex DeBrincat - 2016 39th Overall (RW) /// UPDATE 11/7: signed to 3-yr ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
He fell to the 2nd Round because he is 5'7 and isn't lightning fast. No more no less. Period.

Also, people using a player making a WJC squad or not as a barometer for anything projecting their NHL careers are running a fool's errand. There have been many a deserving player omitted from WJC rosters, especially in the case of Team USA in recent years. It was a highly controversial decision, at that. But it doesn't mean anything regarding his NHL prospects of lack thereof, nor does it for anyone else whether they make a team, tear it up, don't make a team, or fizzle in their performance. Way too much stock is put into that tournament by people, positive and negative.

It's just amusing that a guy can tear up a league for three years and then when he struggles some in the final handful, whatever the reason may be, all of a sudden none of the rest means anything. Especially when talking about a 19 year old kid. There are things to legitimately be concerned about with his game and its translation to the NHL. If those are the worries, fine. They're warranted. The rest of this stuff is just microscopic-sample size fluff and unnecessary hand-wringing. But hey, everyone's entitled to have it however they see fit I guess.

Bingo. I mean Phil Kessel diddnt make the World Cup team for guys like Abdelkator and Palmeri. Yes, the same Phil Kessel that has 41 pts in his last 44 playoff games over the last calendar year. Does anyone actually think Palmeri and Abdelkator are better players than Phil? When building a team sometimes you have to omit a more talented guy for one that fits within your roster/style of play.

*btw not saying that was the right call to leave Kessel off the roster by any means.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Bingo. I mean Phil Kessel diddnt make the World Cup team for guys like Abdelkator and Palmeri. Yes, the same Phil Kessel that has 41 pts in his last 44 playoff games over the last calendar year. Does anyone actually think Palmeri and Abdelkator are better players than Phil? When building a team sometimes you have to omit a more talented guy for one that fits within your roster/style of play.

*btw not saying that was the right call to leave Kessel off the roster by any means.

I certainly didn't take it that way. I was going to include the Kessel/WC example but my post was already long enough :laugh:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He fell to the 2nd Round because he is 5'7 and isn't lightning fast. No more no less. Period.

Also, people using a player making a WJC squad or not as a barometer for anything projecting their NHL careers are running a fool's errand. There have been many a deserving player omitted from WJC rosters, especially in the case of Team USA in recent years. It was a highly controversial decision, at that. But it doesn't mean anything regarding his NHL prospects of lack thereof, nor does it for anyone else whether they make a team, tear it up, don't make a team, or fizzle in their performance. Way too much stock is put into that tournament by people, positive and negative.

It's just amusing that a guy can tear up a league for three years and then when he struggles some in the final handful, whatever the reason may be, all of a sudden none of the rest means anything. Especially when talking about a 19 year old kid. There are things to legitimately be concerned about with his game and its translation to the NHL. If those are the worries, fine. They're warranted. The rest of this stuff is just microscopic-sample size fluff and unnecessary hand-wringing. But hey, everyone's entitled to have it however they see fit I guess.

Spot on. +infinity

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Agree. I watched a bunch of the Mem Cup games. The players who impressed me most were obviously Strome, Bracco, DiPietro and Velarde (sp?).

DeBrincat did have the post, but it seems the scouting report is to put the body on him and knock him off his game. I just wonder how such a small guy would fair in the NHL with heavy teams like Ana, Nash, STL, etc.

That said, it seems the new model NHL with teams like Edmonton, Calg, etc is speed, speed and more speed.

The obvious size comparison is Johnny Hockey. Does DeBrincat have that same speed game? I don't know that I saw it.

In the case of a guy like TT, he couldn't seem to go to the next level because of his inability (or refusal) to put on muscle mass. Unless that voodoo supplement company that The Captain works with has a height enhancer, 5'7" is what he'll always be and that will be the defining factor if he can make it at the next level.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Agree. I watched a bunch of the Mem Cup games. The players who impressed me most were obviously Strome, Bracco, DiPietro and Velarde (sp?).

DeBrincat did have the post, but it seems the scouting report is to put the body on him and knock him off his game.

Wow, you mean to slow down goal scorers the strat is to hit them and knock them off their game? I mean what other strat would there be??

THAT'S JUST ONE AMAZING SCOUTING REPORT YOU SHARED ON THIS BOARD!! :laugh::laugh:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hawks need to bring this kid in to Chicago all summer and work on his skating and hustle only, everything else is NHL caliber, if he doesn't improve big time in those areas all that talent is useless.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Hawks need to bring this kid in to Chicago all summer and work on his skating and hustle only, everything else is NHL caliber, if he doesn't improve big time in those areas all that talent is useless.

As a fan of the Bhawks I wish the kid well but the leap to the NHL is huge.

As an example, Dave Bolland back in the minors put up 57 goals with the London Knights and 79 goals with the Toronto Red Wings only to become a shutdown forward with the Bhawks.

The critics could say it's due to him being the 2nd wheel behind Toews and Kane but soon as he left via free agency to the Panthers and got his ice time upped he never amounted to anything points wise and due to his inability to put up points alongside his proneness to injuries he's no longer in the league and he's only 30 years of age.

Some guys have it some guys don't.

Look at another ex Blackhawk, Viktor Stalberg. The guy could skate and was one of the fastest guys on ice during his prime but he had hands of stone.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Fully expecting him to start in Rockford and then make it to the club full time next season.

If he shows well in preseason, he'll make the team. Penetrating observation, I know. He'll be given ample opportunity to earn a spot. If he doesn't make it, fully expect your scenario to play out.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
'
Speaking of talent and the transition to the NHL level, it's still a crapshoot. Least he doesn't have the #1 pick stigma attached to him and become a bust like Nail Yakupov, LOL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130572

number one reason this kid will be the darkhorse at camp. He's got his reputation behind him as an elite scorer in CHL, but not being a first round pick will take him off a lot of pressure.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
number one reason this kid will be the darkhorse at camp. He's got his reputation behind him as an elite scorer in CHL, but not being a first round pick will take him off a lot of pressure.

Good point. In addition, there is definitely nothing wrong with coming into camp with a chip on your shoulder. Kid puts up 50 goals 2 years ago and was told he only did it cause he was on Connor McDavids line....than he comes out and does it again :shakehead

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alex Debrincat has a chance to make incredible hockey history,
where there's a chance there's a way,right?.

Now this thing to happen...might be a million to one odds,
but read above :)

I did some research and i found out that...

If Alex DeBrincat scores 50 goals in his rookie season,he would
be the only player in the history of the sport to score 50 goals
or more in his first season of; minor junior league (USHS)
major junior league (OHL) and pro league (NHL).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Alex Debrincat has a chance to make incredible hockey history,
where there's a chance there's a way,right?.

Now this thing to happen...might be a million to one odds,
but read above :)

I did some research and i found out that...

If Alex DeBrincat scores 50 goals in his rookie season,he would
be the only player in the history of the sport to score 50 goals
or more in his first season of; minor junior league (USHS)
major junior league (OHL) and pro league (NHL).

If Alex Debrincat establishes himself as a 50 goal scorer in year 1, I think we'll be in the beginning stages of a run even better than the one we just had. He is one hell of an X-factor. Unique, highly skilled and determined. We can only hope! I do think 25 goals this year and then him becoming a consistent 30+ goal scorer is lofty but far from unreasonable. 40, 50, I've gotta see him do it first, there are like less than 10 guys in the league that have that ability. Aim high though!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Alex DeBrincat is never going to score 50 goals in the NHL. And that's hardly a slight on him as I'm a fan of his.

Who besides Ovechkin has scored 50 in the past 10 years? Anyone?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Brett Hull scored lotsbofvpoints goals despite hardly being a guy who hustled or was a top skater ..but he could beat goalies with that shot he had and few in tge league can do that .. Sure if you are a goal scorer and big and can play 2 ways with hustle and speed to burn,then you are a super star generational talent...but otherwise there are guys who lack on several areas you would like better from but who still become top six players...even stars...because the 1 thing they do well is put pucks past goalies..The Hockey sense and quick release of DeBrincat are his best attributes ....of course to max those he must be in a top six role and notva 3rd or 4th liner who cannot score that much but do other things ...It is said DeBrincat adjusts to the style of Centers he plays with ...McDavid has a different style than Strome ...Strome is a tortoise compared to McDavid and tge speed game ...bit DeBrincat set both up for their scoring goals and he finished dishes created by them when they got it to him for a quick new lease shot..He also got to open positions to get his shot off quickly ..Tge issue is ..do the Hawks have either great speed centers or creative playmaking centers like Strome with only average speed?It may be that our centers are not any style that DeBrincat can adjust to...He is nit going to be able to help Toews in the cycle game ...Saad is better for that...And is Anisimov really that creative to get his wingers lots of pucks to firebox net?No..but Kane is creative ...so a Center there may not even matter..Panatin hardly hustled defensively ..so if DeBrincat cannot ...hardly a difference on the line defensively..As for offense. ..sure Panarin used speed too to get open for releasing shots..DeBrincat may do it more in a sneaky way ...using his hockey sense to know when to go after pucks and how-to leave his checks to get open ..But we shall see if he can adjust or not if given the chance..With Sharp there as stop-gap till they feel DeBrincat is ready ,it may be that he has to prove himself as a pro first in the AHL ,before they give him a real chance as 2LW ...Also it may be that Anisimov is traded after this season and the 2C they replace him with (ufa or via teade) will be a better compliment to helping DeBrincat than Anisimov could ever be.So yes...Maybe not this season in Chicago ..but surely he will get the chance the season after if he lights up the AHL.

It is also intesting that people keep listing DeBrincat as a RW when he played mostly LW in his OHL career...And people keep listing Fortin as LW when he played RW for his team last year I the Q ...And while wingers can switch to either wing ,there are lots ofexamples of successful NHLERS playing their off wing ..But Fortin will not replace Kane on a line 2 at RW. .so if the spot for 2LW is Sharp ,DeBrincat ,or Fortin ,they will test how the kids perform in that role in 5henpre-seasonand if they look "not ready " then thebinsurancebif Sharp as stop gap will be employed there.If 1 of the 2 shines to secure 2LW ..then Sharp will slide down tp 3 LW and the 2 kids will try to get ready after spending 1 seadon adjusting to the pros in the AHL..It is as simple as that .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino