Recalled/Assigned: Alain Vigneault says Emerson Etem has been assigned to AHL for conditioning #NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No, he's not really good along the boards. He's average.

No, he can't really carry the puck. In fact, he's pretty bad at it.

Who cares if he goes to the net if he can't get the puck there and isn't good at deflections?

The guy is not a good hockey player. Having actually watched him, I can safely say that.

Yeah I really like hearing about all these things hes good at. Maybe one day he'll consistently show it in NHL games

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
EDIT - whilst I was typing, I see it's a conditioning stint. I hope he lights it the **** up.

Okay... let's talk Etem for a bit here... long post. Read it, don't read it, I don't care.

I've mentioned a few times on HFNYR since we acquired him that Etem is essentially a roller hockey player trying to play at the NHL level. In that sense, it helps Etem in some areas whilst destroying him in others.

Etem has world-crushing skill. It's obvious to me, at least. However, he is the rawest of raw I have almost ever seen on an NHL sheet. Which goes back to my original thesis, that he is a roller hockey player.

Etem's roller past is apparent in the way he skates. Despite being speedy, you can tell that the form isn't true to someone who grew up on ice. Etem has crazy good hands and puck skills, necessary for roller play. However, his board play, and knowledge of a two-way game hurts him - also a factor of his roller upbringing.

Now, this is not some shot at every player who turned it on from roller to ice. Nor is it a shot at Etem, who I still believe can be a very capable top-6 NHL player. It's more or less an ideology difference. Where Etem should be in his development today, where he is, and how he got there.

It is 100% arguable that he was used wrongly here, because he was. His top forward linemates this year are Dom Moore (100 mins, 5v5), Jarrett Stoll (65 mins), and Tanner Glass (42 mins). When he wasn't skating in a game that night, he practiced as an extra defenseman, because we have no cap space to call up an 8th d-man like AV wants.

How much can you expect a new player to develop in that usage? How much can you expect a player to learn a COMPLETELY new system when he rarely practices in the correct position?

I see some posters saying things like: "Megna came up here and dominated, why couldn't Etem?" Well, Megna came up here and immediately skated with Nash and Stepan and got PP time. What did Megna do to earn that deployment that Etem didn't?

Etem has skated with Stepan for 11:34 this season; Nash, 5:40. Megna logged 9:25 with Stepan in one game. 8:50 with Nash... Are you sure they were offered the same opportunity? I'm not.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle to Etem these days is the fact that he would require waivers to go to the AHL. No doubt NYR probably wanted him playing 22 minutes a night down there, but absolutely could not risk losing him for nothing.

Now, of course, there is something to be said about EARNING your ice time. Did Etem do that here? Well, probably not in the eyes of the coaching staff. Was he given an easy path to success here from AV and co? Not a chance.

So, I suspect when people are upset about the Rangers just letting Etem go, they are worried about the opportunity cost. Are we better off with guys like Glass and Stalberg getting regular playing time? In a fourth line role, yeah, maybe. Should a kid with upside like Etem has be a casualty to guys like Glass and Stalberg? No. That's bad asset management.

My opinion on whether or not this was a good move for NYR will hinge on their return for Etem. If it's something like a 5th round pick, I think that's garbage. If it's for another middling prospect who we can send to Hartford? Okay, fine. If we somehow steal someone, then all hats off to JG.

This x424

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Fast is a non-boneheaded version of Etem with a weaker shot. I'd much rather have Fast. It's not even close.

Fast is a safer pick because he's got the better two-way play of both players. But, Etem is the risk because his offensive ceiling is miles higher, IMO, than Fast's.

But, ceilings only matter if you can hit them.

This x424

I don't like when we agree. Rethinking my position :p: :)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its incredulous. I have this strange feeling that the group that is whining over Etem is the same group that trashes Staal and Girardi constantly. I think that group consists a lot of teenagers who never saw those guys earlier in their careers. Dont get me wrong their games have detiorated, and ill admit I'd like to see Staal moved, but those guys gave us some great years and some great memories. They were part of the turnaround of this organization to respectabilty. Staal was my first player jersey purchase from Cosby's. I remember the dark years when those teenage fans were little kids and have no idea what frustration really is. And that the cap is actually a blessing. To constantly berade those two and others is more "embarrassing" and then AV handling Etem.

And through all of this, if we were keeping Etem i wouldnt be mad. But im not gona cry foul over him being moved.

Or it's people who want the team to be the best it can be now rather than praise currently struggling players for what they did in the past

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Fast is a safer pick because he's got the better two-way play of both players. But, Etem is the risk because his offensive ceiling is miles higher, IMO, than Fast's.

we saw Fast's ceiling in those playoff OT's last spring
he just needs to be more consistent

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Young players have to earn their time. It doesn't matter what position they're put in, whether or not you think the player is misused.

If he's put in a position that's not the best for the type of player, 1) he still has to put in the work. 2) He still has to do what the coach asks of him. 3) He still has to have a meaningful positive impact on the team.

Etem pretty obviously didn't accomplish 1 or 3, and you have to wonder if 2 was an issue as well.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Silverfish if you did not hate Miller for absolutely no good reason I'd like you more. :sarcasm: ;)

Just kidding your Etem post is pretty much spot on.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

But, ceilings only matter if you can hit them.

I don't like when we agree. Rethinking my position :p: :)

I don't see anything that makes his ceiling miles higher. Feet, maybe. Not miles.

BarbaraAlphanse

Offseason looking disastrous for Gorts right about now.

1/2 of the return for Hags has failed. Gropp has looked promising at times but certainly has not progressed as hoped, either.

As a result of trading Hags, Hayes has regressed.

No extension to Yandle, so it looks like Rangers will lose him for less than they paid.

Depth moves have underwhelmed. Like Diaz and Stalberg.

He tried to keep the team status quo. Added more question marks to the equation.

This is what I mean about a team without a vision. Team lost key members, Gorts didn't want to disrupt the status quo, but didn't replenish the talent lost. In fact he lost more even more talent voluntarily by trading Hagelin.

This type of mentality is hazardous to a team. You're stuck in the middle. He should have picked a route and committed to it. Either kept Hags and gone for it again, or begin a retool.

Again, it wasn't the easy thing to do, but oftentimes we are all presented w what's hard vs what's easy. What's easy rarely pays dividends. And we see that now here.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Young players have to earn their time. It doesn't matter what position they're put in, whether or not you think the player is misused.

If he's put in a position that's not the best for the type of player, 1) he still has to put in the work. 2) He still has to do what the coach asks of him. 3) He still has to have a meaningful positive impact on the team.

Etem pretty obviously didn't accomplish 1 or 3, and you have to wonder if 2 was an issue as well.

I think it's a REAL stretch to say he didn't put in the work. I never watched him and thought to myself "wow, he's dogging it out there" or "he's really not trying or putting in the effort."

You can argue 2 or 3 if you want but I think you have to see a lot to confidently say someone's not putting in the work. Results don't always equal effort.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Its incredulous. I have this strange feeling that the group that is whining over Etem is the same group that trashes Staal and Girardi constantly. I think that group consists a lot of teenagers who never saw those guys earlier in their careers. Dont get me wrong their games have detiorated, and ill admit I'd like to see Staal moved, but those guys gave us some great years and some great memories. They were part of the turnaround of this organization to respectabilty. Staal was my first player jersey purchase from Cosby's. I remember the dark years when those teenage fans were little kids and have no idea what frustration really is. And that the cap is actually a blessing. To constantly berade those two and others is more "embarrassing" and then AV handling Etem.

And through all of this, if we were keeping Etem i wouldnt be mad. But im not gona cry foul over him being moved.
yeah, those dumb teenagers, wanting their hockey team to be better than it is. what spoiled idiots

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Or it's people who want the team to be the best it can be now rather than praise currently struggling players for what they did in the past

That is not what I'm saying. Not disagreeing. But the way some people talk about those two you would think weve been stuck with 2 Tanner Glass' for the last decade roughly. Every thread they make an appearance. Its unfathomable. And tbh since G has come back he really hasnt been bad.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think it's a REAL stretch to say he didn't put in the work. I never watched him and thought to myself "wow, he's dogging it out there" or "he's really not trying or putting in the effort."

You can argue 2 or 3 if you want but I think you have to see a lot to confidently say someone's not putting in the work. Results don't always equal effort.

I didn't see him working his butt off consistently in games. I don't believe anyone else did either.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's so funny when people say things like "maybe you should watch the games".

Give me a f***ing break

Also

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
EDIT - whilst I was typing, I see it's a conditioning stint. I hope he lights it the **** up.

Okay... let's talk Etem for a bit here... long post. Read it, don't read it, I don't care.

I've mentioned a few times on HFNYR since we acquired him that Etem is essentially a roller hockey player trying to play at the NHL level. In that sense, it helps Etem in some areas whilst destroying him in others.

My opinion on whether or not this was a good move for NYR will hinge on their return for Etem. If it's something like a 5th round pick, I think that's garbage. If it's for another middling prospect who we can send to Hartford? Okay, fine. If we somehow steal someone, then all hats off to JG.

I always thought that EE was like Matt Gilroy but on wing not because they have a similar style, because they do not, but because they both have roller hockey ingrained in the way they play.
He needs to focus on D, become a wing that can fore-check and back-check, play the PK. He has the speed and the hand to eye. He does this then he will blossom as a player and start scoring goals like he showed in JRs. He needs to become a student of the game.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
There are some players who have great skill, talent and physical ability - and there are others that have a lot less but play with passion and aren't afraid to get dirty. Etem is the former. He has little hockey sense but is a gym rat and probably wows everyone in training combines and practices. But once the puck drops its a different story. The guy isn't an NHL player, he just isn't.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Just throwing something out there, just speculation on my part, but maybe a deal could have been in place and something may have happened on the other side? Jeff Petry was unexpectedly not at practice today, having suffered a lower body injury, maybe the Habs were going to trade Mark Tinordi to us, but decided to keep him in case its long term, and may need him. Mark Barberio was called up, and has also surpassed him on the depth chart.
Maybe not Tinordi, but its possible some scenario mentioned above may have been brewing but aborted at the last minute. It's very strange that a conditioning assignment was handled this way. On top of this, Bobby Mac had us working on a trade...

BarbaraAlphanse

There are some players who have great skill, talent and physical ability - and there are others that have a lot less but play with passion and aren't afraid to get dirty. Etem is the former. He has little hockey sense but is a gym rat and probably wows everyone in training combines and practices. But once the puck drops its a different story. The guy isn't an NHL player, he just isn't.

If he lands on a team that can set expectations of him, give him time, and leash... He'll probably prove you wrong there.

But that's neither here nor there.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hoping he turns it around. Because it is not working. Regardless of where he had been in the lineup, that is still an opportunity. And he hasnt had an impact, at least a positive one. The tipping point was costing his team 2 points the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad