Recalled/Assigned: Alain Vigneault says Emerson Etem has been assigned to AHL for conditioning #NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's such a stark contrast. Even if Megna didn't show up in the scoresheet, I would have been happier with his game than with any game Etem's played this year.

Are you seriously implying that differentiating between playing with Moore, Glass, and Stoll, and playing with Stepan and Nash is a meaningless factor?

Not meaningless but it is more to the affect of Tawnos' point above. He came to play and it showed. There was a jump in his game. When is Etem gona do that? Megna isnt even a physical player and he tried to throw a couple hits.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It is absolutely meaningless

Also, Etem did get to play higher in the lineup a few times. He still managed not to make any kind of impact.

Megna played more with Nash in one game than Etem has all season. Etem has played two more minutes with Stepan than Megna, again, in one game.

Not meaningless but it is more to the affect of Tawnos' point above. He came to play and it showed. There was a jump in his game. When is Etem gona do that? Megna isnt even a physical player and he tried to throw a couple hits.

I'd argue there were a few games out of that 19 where Etem had a lot of jump as well.

I'm happy with Megna, but this is not something I can agree with.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Whoo Yeah get the **** out of that room stem.

Nice room see this team get serious about winning.

There's a Warhol gallery in Philly, maybe they can send him there for an extended trip after the conditioning stint.

Keep that dumb loser out that locker room.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
There's a difference between me saying he sucks (which i truly dont believe) and him not doing enough. He got in 19 games. Not one game did he score a goal for all the talent he is supposed to have. Find a way. He isnt doing that. He isnt established and he has to work that much harder than someone else who is. Thats the way it goes. So not only can you not compare him to the rest of the team, but those guys at least have some stats to show.

Megna gets one game and gets on the stat sheet. And dont gimme the crap about who he played with. The guy was flying all over the place. He wanted to stand out. He had a big hand in the first goal by being all over the offensive zone with his speed. And on the goal Nash gave a Glass-like pass to him anyways.

He does have to do more on the ice but I don't believe that's because of a lack of effort. Some guys just struggle for a variety of reasons. I think he's definitely gotten in on the forecheck and been alright along the boards. Silverfish basically nailed it when he called him a roller hockey player with the way he plays. Not particularly good on the other side of the puck and has a very weird skating style though he's quick.

Etem's extremely raw and there's been games where I thought he's looked good too just like Megna did (that Calgary game early on stood out) and there's been other games where he's been putrid like the Florida game. The issue with him is more fixing mistakes in his game, getting stronger on the defensive side of the puck, along with the other things hammered home in this topic. Do I believe his struggles are a result of him not putting the work in? Absolutely not. For some reason with certain guys, it just clicks or it doesn't and I think that's the issue here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Megna played more with Nash in one game than Etem has all season. Etem has played two more minutes with Stepan than Megna, again, in one game.

I'd argue there were a few games out of that 19 where Etem had a lot of jump as well.

Ok, first of all, in Etem's position, it needs to all or nearly all of his 19 games, not a few.

And I wasn't talking specifically about Nash and Stepan, but with better players than Moore and Glass. If he had shown anything like Megnas jump in those opportunities, he would have continued getting those shifts.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Absolutely. He was very good against Anaheim, Made an impact against Minnesota, Calgary his 1st game of the year. Was it enough? Maybe not, but he definitely had games where he was noticeable.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Not a fan of trading Etem unless it's part of a package for a big name. I think time in the AHL will do some good for him. The handling of EE has been pretty trash tbh, but he has enough talent and is young enough that the team should really try working with him. I look at someone like Miller who's less talented than Etem and it took him a while too, but he's starting to get it. I do want to give EE some more time, I do think he can be a solid middle 6 guy, which would be great for the team.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ok, first of all, in Etem's position, it needs to all or nearly all of his 19 games, not a few.

And I wasn't talking specifically about Nash and Stepan, but with better players than Moore and Glass. If he had shown anything like Megnas jump in those opportunities, he would have continued getting those shifts.

Except I posted a few pages back that nearly all time spent on ice for Etem this season was with Glass, Moore, and Stoll...

It needs to be all 19 games? Jesus. Who on this team brings their A game 19 straight games? Not even Hank.

This is an insane discussion. I said everything I wanted to say in my long post... I'm gonna back out here, at least on this topic.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He does have to do more on the ice but I don't believe that's because of a lack of effort. Some guys just struggle for a variety of reasons. I think he's definitely gotten in on the forecheck and been alright along the boards. Silverfish basically nailed it when he called him a roller hockey player with the way he plays. Not particularly good on the other side of the puck and has a very weird skating though he's quick.

Etem's extremely raw and there's been games where I thought he's looked good too just like Megna did (that Calgary game early on stood out) and there's been other games where he's been putrid like the Florida game. The issue with him is more fixing mistakes in his game, getting stronger on the defensive side of the puck, along with the other things hammered home in this topic. Do I believe his struggles are a result of him not putting the work in? Absolutely not. For some reason with certain guys, it just clicks or it doesn't and I think that's the issue here.

But thats just it. He NEEDS to be good on both sides of the puck if he wants to be an NHL player. Unless you are Eichel, Gaudreau, etc and you can light up the scoresheet you cant get away with only being good at a few things (thats not to say those guys are bad defensively). If Etem wants to say and isnt going to score he has to play a solid all around game every night to provide value to this roster. He isnt a recent top 5 draft pick where he can skip the process of working his way up the ladder from 3rd line minutes to 1st. He is a 29th pick from 2010. Show that you can add value to this team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not a fan of trading Etem unless it's part of a package for a big name. I think time in the AHL will do some good for him. The handling of EE has been pretty trash tbh, but he has enough talent and is young enough that the team should really try working with him. I look at someone like Miller who's less talented than Etem and it took him a while too, but he's starting to get it. I do want to give EE some more time, I do think he can be a solid middle 6 guy, which would be great for the team.

Etem is older than Miller. Not that players develop at exactly the same rate, but Etem is 23. He's getting into that age where you have to wonder if he will ever put it together. Especially when he seems to have stagnated.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Except I posted a few pages back that nearly all time spent on ice for Etem this season was with Glass, Moore, and Stoll...

It needs to be all 19 games? Jesus. Who on this team brings their A game 19 straight games? Not even Hank.

This is an insane discussion. I said everything I wanted to say in my long post... I'm gonna back out here, at least on this topic.

Where did I dispute that he's spent most of his time with those players?

Also, I said all or nearly all. Etem's contemporary on this team is Lindberg and Lindberg brings the effort every game.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Just because you're young doesn't mean you are good. Showed absolutely nothing other than the Anaheim game. I would trade him for a Martin St.Louis souvenir cup if I could.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
There's also the possibility that he'll go down to Hartford and perform well. Maybe Kenny G and Beuk help him turn it around. They did something that helped Tanner Glass resemble an actual fourth liner, maybe they can help Etem a bit.

I don't mind seeing him get traded, but I also would've liked to at least see him get a little bit of a chance in a top-6 spot. He's performed well when played in the top-6. Part of that is inflated by playing with Getzlaf and Perry, but he still performed decently.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If the team is trying g to win, which it is.

You find a guy that can play a role know a cheap contract for Stem.

Move on, get someone conducive towards winning.

I don't give a **** about his physical gifts. I care about winning. Stem doesn't contribute towards winning.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Good, E-dumb sucks.

Some people need to just realize certain players don't have it, regardless of draft position. People couldn't figure it out with John Moore, and they can't with Etem. He won't piece it together to become a top 6 player.

I can't believe how much blame Gorton has escaped. Regardless of whether or not the Hagelin trade was a salary dump, the return we got is a joke. Horrible scouting job by Gorton and co, yo could spot Etem busting 3 years ago.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Wait so I'm reading there's a trade happening.

True? Or just a conditioning stint?

I know the conditioning stint took place... But a trade?

That would be outstanding!!

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Heard that the Rangers had 6 offers for Hagelin, very curious to know what the other offers were.

A late draft pick is more useful than Etem, even if the team is in win now mode. Etem isn't helping out any championship caliber team be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad