Recalled/Assigned: Alain Vigneault says Emerson Etem has been assigned to AHL for conditioning #NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I just can't comprehend how a career AHL'er immediately gets top line ice time and teammates, doing absolutely nothing to earn that. But the skilled prospect we traded Hagelin for has absolutely no chance at the top 6.

How many times do I have to say that a huge problem with this team is effort.

Etem looking like he just wants to float vs Megna playing balls to the wall each shift probably answers your question.

Why is glass still starting? His effort.

There are more guys with talent that AV chooses to not play in favor of worse guys that try harder.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
How many times do I have to say that a huge problem with this team is effort.

Etem looking like he just wants to float vs Megna playing balls to the wall each shift probably answers your question.

Why is glass still starting? His effort.

There are more guys with talent that AV chooses to not play in favor of worse guys that try harder.
There's a difference between effort and running around full speed like an idiot

BarbaraAlphanse

There's a difference between effort and running around full speed like an idiot

Was he running around full speed like an idiot?

First hand it looked like he had like 3-4 prime time chances w great positioning, puck presence, hockey iq, and effort.

What he didn't have was finishing skills.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is revisionist history imo.

Miller looked like garbage on the 4th line. Early in Kreider's career, he looked like garbage on the 4th line. There's pretty much never a time where playing a legit skilled prospect/young player on the 4th line is appropriate for a long stretch of time.

I swear, most of you couldn't wait to see Etem struggle.

Just completely untrue. Miller was always much more involved in the play on the 4th compared to Etem.

Even when Miller looked bad he still looked like a much better player than ****ing Etem ever has.

And lol @ the last line. :facepalm:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just can't comprehend how a career AHL'er immediately gets top line ice time and teammates, doing absolutely nothing to earn that. But the skilled prospect we traded Hagelin for has absolutely no chance at the top 6.

That should speak volumes as to how bad Etem has been both in games and in practice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think that's fair. Conversely, I think that it's more attributed to blind optimism by other posters.

Watching him before becoming a Ranger, it was clear his brain is going to get in the way of him becoming a serviceable player. A shame, because he's got decent size, he's fast (until he gets the puck, then he stops moving his feet for some baffling reason) and he has a good shot.

This. I've watched the kid since junior days. I've never, ever been impressed with him. Not even when he was a teenager.

He's never improved an ounce since becoming a pro. He's the same exact player he was when he was drafted. Even the same damn flaws. He's still awful away from the puck. He still stops moving his feet. He still doesn't assert himself into the play. He still has no passing talent.

The kid has some straight ahead speed and a shot. Those are literally the only two tools he has. He has no toolbox and no other tools. The fact is that those two skills will have teams giving him a chance now and then even after he fully busts.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Just completely untrue. Miller was always much more involved in the play on the 4th compared to Etem.

Even when Miller looked bad he still looked like a much better player than ****ing Etem ever has.

This is untrue but there's no further argument to be had and we both know this

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Offseason looking disastrous for Gorts right about now.

1/2 of the return for Hags has failed. Gropp has looked promising at times but certainly has not progressed as hoped, either.

As a result of trading Hags, Hayes has regressed.

No extension to Yandle, so it looks like Rangers will lose him for less than they paid.

Depth moves have underwhelmed. Like Diaz and Stalberg.

He tried to keep the team status quo. Added more question marks to the equation.

This is what I mean about a team without a vision. Team lost key members, Gorts didn't want to disrupt the status quo, but didn't replenish the talent lost. In fact he lost more even more talent voluntarily by trading Hagelin.

This type of mentality is hazardous to a team. You're stuck in the middle. He should have picked a route and committed to it. Either kept Hags and gone for it again, or begin a retool.

Again, it wasn't the easy thing to do, but oftentimes we are all presented w what's hard vs what's easy. What's easy rarely pays dividends. And we see that now here.

I disagree completely. Not to mention the Hagelin trade, which seems to be the crux of your entire argument, took place with Slats as acting GM at the draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Except it's not. Miller has never been as bad as Etem in his entire pro career. Miller is at least a decent player away from the puck most games.

Really not sure what you were watching to think that Miller was worse than Etem is now in our bottom six.

Want to talk about revisionist history? That would be it.

BarbaraAlphanse

As a ranger? Miller at his worst is about how Etem looked normally.

Sure Etem had a 1-2 game stretch where he looked engaged and passionate. But let's not pretend that aside from that 1 minuscule period, he didn't take control of his fate. Miller was scratched and yo-yoed just as Etem was. He battled, and showed he deserved to move up. Etem didn't do this.

And even if he was put on the top6, he probably wouldn't have succeeded. Defensively he was a nightmare. It is undeniable that he was definitely misused and not a bottom 6 liner, which generally houses players with strong board play and energy. But his defense was too untrustworthy for him to play a more expanded role.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As a ranger? Miller at his worst is about how Etem looked normally.

Sure Etem had a 1-2 game stretch where he looked engaged and passionate. But let's not pretend that aside from that 1 minuscule period, he didn't take control of his fate. Miller was scratched and yo-yoed just as Etem was. He battled, and showed he deserved to move up. Etem didn't do this.

And even if he was put on the top6, he probably wouldn't have succeeded. Defensively he was a nightmare. It is undeniable that he was definitely misused and not a bottom 6 liner, which generally houses players with strong board play and energy. But his defense was too untrustworthy for him to play a more expanded role.

Thank you. What Rasp is saying re: Miller is utter nonsense. And I am not a Miller fan.

BarbaraAlphanse

I disagree completely. Not to mention the Hagelin trade, which seems to be the crux of your entire argument, took place with Slats as acting GM at the draft.

Okay, you normally disagree with me and that is your prerogative.

Gorton and the scouting dept suggested Etem to Sather. They wanted him in the draft year. There was an interview w Gorts saying he specifically wanted EE. So yes, I'd say that was a miscalculation on his part. And a start to a ****** offseaon of blowing Hagelin and Talbot trades, swinging and missing on depth pieces, and failing to replace the key guys he was letting go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad