Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The thing is whenever they bring in a new coach, they have to start changing the roster to help that coach. If the new coach wants them to play better defense, the Rangers have like 3 total skaters who can actually do that. So in essence they are firing 20 or whatever players just over the tenure of the new coach rather than all at once. By the time the new coaches tenure is over, they once again will switch back to some other coach who would have been better with the roster they had before they hired the last coach.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Doesn't the HWP try to play a similar system/style for player development and so that recalls adjust better to the top club? I imagine firing the head coach has cascading effects for any team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Exactly. AV isn't 100% to blame, but he is partially to blame, and as the cliche goes you can't fire 20 players but you can fire 1 coach.

Well, technically you cannot fire a headcoach. You can only relieve him from his duties but he will still be on the Rangers payroll. That's why other teams always need permission to speak to a head coach after he is, as you say, fired.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Season is quickly fading. Firing AV may not be the answer and could conceivably make it worse, but at this point would it matter? You need to try to shake things up.

I agree. Way easier to fire a coach than replace 20 players. How much worse can it get?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they are going to get a coach who is going to work with the youth, play them, and try to develop some futures even if they lose like they are doing anyway, I'd be all for it.

But they will likely get some coach who wants to change up the entire way this teams plays. Then when they are not good at playing that way either, that coach is going to want players who can play how he wants them to.

It's just a cycle unless they find a coach who will both live with the youth, and also play something similar to this high paced, high pressure hockey. They don't need to be running around chasing all the time, that much a different coach could change up but turning the whole roster into a good zone with chip and chase offense is just begging for them to get rid of more talented players for lesser talents who play safer.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You're a coach. You are given a roster with enough talent to field three forward lines, two defensive pairs, and a zone system. Do you:

1. field three forward lines, two defensive pairs, and a zone system; or
2. spread the...uh...wealth fielding four mediocre lines, three mediocre pairs, and then employ an ill-fitted different system.

Tough choice really.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Besides AV's first year as a ranger I have never liked his lines, how he has managed ice time, or who he uses in clutch moments. The first year I liked a lot of his decisions. How the f*** have we gotten here though? Year two i questioned a lot of things but still gave him some rope because of what he did year 1. By year 3 i been over this man and its only getting f***ing worse. I am going to call out of work and celebrate the day he gets "relieved of duties" He has been horrible. I am sorry but this team has won despite him the last 2 years he has been here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure AV can pull the nose up at this point.

Not sure a new coach is going to do much better.

We are 1/8th of the way through the season.

Some guys look very old in the 2017 version of the NHL.

A lot of guys have once again shown that they are not the guys who are going to carry this team.

That combination, no matter what strategy you use or who is behind the bench, is not going to be an easy fix.

With that said, I do not think AV will be the coach of this team for much longer.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
If we end the month 2-9-2 (ie loss the next three games), does AV get fired?

I think if they lose all 3 he’s done. 1 win may save his job but losing 3 games to Arizona (worst team in the league without a win), Montreal (probably the next worst team in the league), and Vegas (expansion team on their 50th string goalie) is inexcusable.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I think if they lose all 3 he’s done. 1 win may save his job but losing 3 games to Arizona (worst team in the league without a win), Montreal (probably the next worst team in the league), and Vegas (expansion team on their 50th string goalie) is inexcusable.
I would like to believe this with all of my heart but i just dont see it happening. I would love to be wrong but i think he can lose all 3 and still get more time.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the rangers need to figure out at what point is the season just not saveable...once you hit that point, if you havent made a change, id just wait and replace him in the offseason when some good coaches may get fired to save the GMs job...

Reactions: TheTakedown

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Bleecher report has a good article on the end of AV.... I find the disconnect with Gorton very unnerving.

I don't like to read that.... it's obvious AV had no use, was unable to utilize certain aquisitions.... he's got to go!!!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not sure AV can pull the nose up at this point.

Not sure a new coach is going to do much better.

We are 1/8th of the way through the season.

Some guys look very old in the 2017 version of the NHL.

A lot of guys have once again shown that they are not the guys who are going to carry this team.

That combination, no matter what strategy you use or who is behind the bench, is not going to be an easy fix.

With that said, I do not think AV will be the coach of this team for much longer.

Feel the same way. This is a roster in flux to say the least. This is looking like a season where the most exciting moments will be what the Rangers can get in return for the assets that do not have a place in this team's future. The old guard of this team, who provided so many fun moments over the last 5-6 years, is getting stale.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Bleecher report has a good article on the end of AV.... I find the disconnect with Gorton very unnerving.

I don't like to read that.... it's obvious AV had no use, was unable to utilize certain aquisitions.... he's got to go!!!

It's starting to hit the bigger websites? His end is near, fear not

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's starting to hit the bigger websites? His end is near, fear not

Yep. These things happen in stages. First, the fans talk. Then, the media writes. Finally, the media asks the players to address the reports. The answer is irrelevant. Bye Felicia.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Besides AV's first year as a ranger I have never liked his lines, how he has managed ice time, or who he uses in clutch moments. The first year I liked a lot of his decisions. How the **** have we gotten here though? Year two i questioned a lot of things but still gave him some rope because of what he did year 1. By year 3 i been over this man and its only getting ****ing worse. I am going to call out of work and celebrate the day he gets "relieved of duties" He has been horrible. I am sorry but this team has won despite him the last 2 years he has been here.
Yeah, exactly.

In retrospect even certain of his decisions in year one were problematic - the way he went into a prevent defense after getting the lead in several of the games v LA. It failed every time. He did a good job with the lines that year, but he still did enough to screw us over.

And then we lost Stralman, and he got Glass, and things just went downhill as his loyalty to iffy vets manifested more and more. He really takes the joy out of watching the Rangers.

Reactions: SlapshotTheMovie

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He really takes the joy out of watching the Rangers.

THIS SO MUCH. I have watched the rangers ice horrible teams and lose and miss the playoffs before... However i never felt like this before. Its one thing to watch and up and coming or struggling team fail. Its another to watch a good team fail because AV manages the roster like a clown.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
THIS SO MUCH. I have watched the rangers ice horrible teams and lose and miss the playoffs before... However i never felt like this before. Its one thing to watch and up and coming or struggling team fail. Its another to watch a good team fail because AV manages the roster like a clown.
Wow. I seem to recalla time when many around here were singing his praises about how much fun they had watching the team, post Torts.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Wow. I seem to recalla time when many around here were singing his praises about how much fun they had watching the team, post Torts.
see my previous quote... I was also very vocal on here that although i agree with showing torts the door i didnt hate him or think he was 100% to blame. Its been 4 years or so and I stand by that. AV i loved season one. Season two is when i started to realize he wasnt the right man for the job.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
AV's first year was good. Parts of the second year were good - our guys made it look easy. Then, I guess, the rest of the league figured out how to oppose AV's game plan. And AV's stubbornness became more of an issue.

Reactions: Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad