Jun 1, 2014
New York
Continue.

8965011.jpg

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Regarding the quote about Zibs, I don't think 'crossroads'is the right term. If anything, I'd look at it like he needs to take his game to the next level, which is not an unfair.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Regarding the quote about Zibs, I don't think 'crossroads'is the right term. If anything, I'd look at it like he needs to take his game to the next level, which is not an unfair.

He was our best forward in the playoffs.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is it really bad if a coach says something about a player when said player has pretty much said the exact same things about himself?

At that point, it doesn't matter if he was the best player for us in the playoffs.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The thing that kills me is all the people saying that we need to give AV a chance with "his kind of players" on D.

We tried that. The team shook up the ROSTER after last season's playoff embarrassment. Gorton brought in another C who can defend (love Brass, but he's not great at it). Gorts brought in a couple of mobile guys on D and more effective bottom six players. It didn't do anything. Why? AV had Buch in the pressbox more nights than most. He would get lines working (Fast/Lindberg/Buch) and then break them apart for no reason. He would HAVE skating, mobile D (Smith, Skjei, Clendo), and staple them to the bench when the game mattered.

AV has had opportunity after opportunity. He inherited a VERY good roster with post-season experience. He's gotten diminishing returns every single year since then (and be real--if we had Pittsburgh again this year instead of tanking for Montreal and Ottawa, this team would have been out in 4 games).

That's not even taking into account the pieces this team acquired that he proceeded to waste (Yandle, Eric Staal). That's not even taking into account the valuable assets he squandered (MDZ, McI, and now possibly Buch). That's not even taking into account the fact that he runs a system (man to man) that emphasizes the worst traits and takes away the best traits of half of his defense. That's not even taking into account that he employs a strategy (score and turtle) that tells his players that he doesn't trust them to build on a lead, and quite probably cost this team its best chance at a Cup since 1994.

In soccer, there are some coaches who are GREAT World Cup coaches but lousy club coaches. I think that's what AV is. Give him a roster of skating, mobile players like a team Canada, and he will have that roster playing as well as it possibly can. Give him a team with flaws, and he has no idea how to address them. For him, the issue isn't that his system and strategy don't fit the team, it's that Stepan isn't Crosby, Girardi isn't Karlsson, and Lundqvist isn't prime Hasek. That kind of obliviousness is inexcusable in a coach.

He needs to be fired. Yesterday. No more chances (or excuses BRB) for this arrogant, gum-munching smirk factory.

member 116805

What did he say about Zib? Couldnt read the quote in the last thread cause im at work and they block twitter, ha ha

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
What did he say about Zib? Couldnt read the quote in the last thread cause im at work and they block twitter, ha ha

Crossroads in his career. Needs to figure out what player he is going to be.

Zib said similar thoughts about himself.

member 116805

Crossroads in his career. Needs to figure out what player he is going to be.

Zib said similar thoughts about himself.

OK, thats not as bad as i tought after seeing the reactions.
He was pretty meh in the regular season, good post season

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
See you at the crossroads
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
And I'm gonna miss everybody
And I'm gonna miss everybody when I'm gone

member 116805

So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
And I'm gonna miss everybody when I'm gone

Now i understand the tears

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I stopped watching midway through game 2 and didn't watch a game afterwards. Same **** from AV.

Get's nervous in big moments, gets outcoached by the guy with the bigger balls.

For a guy with OCD when it comes to keeping players fresh, shortening during game 2 out of nowhere wounded him.

Game 5, he puts out a forward trio that never played together the entire year to protect a lead. Glass, Step, Zucc with fresh guys like Nash on the bench.

His excuses for himself are just not respectable.

Team was poorly prepared, unmotivated, took sloppy penalties, did not show the opponent enough respect, lacked hunger.... that's all on poor coaching.

I don't think I'll be watching many games with this guy at the helm.

He's modern day Jaques Martin or Roger Nielson. An intellectual that isn't smart enough in big moments who also ruminates mid-game before shooting himself in the foot.

For a match-up genius, he chokes like a little ***** when the pressures on.

Forwards didn't drive the net all playoffs. Made the little soft perimeter play after play.

This guy isn't going to get fired this off-season, but Gorts & crew better have the guts to pull the trigger the next time the team sandbags it like they did this season.

You won't win with this guy.

Lack of leadership & accountability is a hallmark of poor coaching in hockey. This guy will get another 100 points in the regular season. Collect his check and try and get a few good looks before another early exit.

Too many players were disengaged for too many games this season for me to say this guy had an impact, he's great at match ups, but outsmarts himself when the pressure mounts.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
AV or Staal need to go - we can`t have him in his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->