Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Vigneault, the coach who believed he could do no wrong. If things didn't go his way, it was his goalie's fault, or some young forward, or something else that ruined his day. But never his own strategy or coaching.

I pity the team he ends up in, especially if they don't have a HOF goalie.

He was fortunate about that both here and with Nucks. :)
Anyway I wish him good luck on a national team if he consider such a job in the future - I can see him coach team USA in some years, hehe.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It was just time. Plus...

His Won/Loss record in his time here was atrocious. His Won/Loss record in playoff series was equally abysmal. Everyone here is in agreement the next coach will win more games and more playoff series than AV's teams did.

As Bill Parcells always says - 'You are your record. Everything else is just noise.'

Parcells has a total of zero rings without Bellichick.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well he stoink for most of his time here, and he frustrated me for years.
At least I tried.. It`s a great start of our pre season preparation and I`m in full support of Jeff Gorton`s decision here.

Reactions: Inferno

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

Aiight, finally. I hope none of us got seriously damaged over the last 2 years.

Basically everything about AVs tenure and shortcomings has been said. I'll repeat my key observation about AV one more time.

The only year he was worth a f*** as coach (and even then he f***ed up the finals by being such a bitch), was his first year. When Torts' defensive system was still in our guys heads and AV complemented it with his - back then - fresh offensive brand of hockey. Other than that don't go on facebook. Either people became really good trolls or the most mentally handicapped people ever gathered there.

Anyhow, celebrate my fellow Rangers fans! Celebrate this day of sweet salvation!

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Thank God. Now maybe we can actually have some defenseman on the team that hit somebody and attempt to play defense first.

Reactions: DekeR

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
He knew he was done, hence his little speech touting his abilities. Maybe it was an appeal to Sather or Dolan, but he knew he was done. It's interesting that player development was mentioned. He must have had a discussion with Brooks.
" he did not want to be pigeonholed as someone who can only coach a team loaded with older players. He remembered being criticized with the Canucks for his handling of three unnamed young players, then explained that two eventually flamed out and one barely hung on to a NHL career."
https://nypost.com/2018/04/07/why-alain-vigneault-thinks-he-should-remain-rangers-coach/

I don't know if that quote was during his monologue or a response to a question. But it rubs me the wrong way that he uses some player's failure and another's substance abuse issues to his benefit.

We as a forum tend to skew toward the youth and we miss the mark more often than not. Tons of guys we felt were getting short changed flamed out. But his management during the Ottawa series showed a stationary coach that got passed by an entire league. His style is the polar opposite to Gorton's aim. AV does not trust young players and will always defer to experience. This league is now driven by ELCs and young legs. Time to move on

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
100% the right decision. AV’s loss to Ottawa should have been and was a fireable offense.

That should have been his last shot.

Now having said that I don’t see a lot of great options out there.

O Keefe seems to be the sexy choice but so was Dallas Eakins at a time. This is a tough decision.

Bill Peters will be avail and has an out clause. Everyone loves him but one problem. He doesn’t win any games.

Sutter in for a rebuild? Makes no sense

Going to be very interesting.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The nucleus they have now is built for speed and a north-south game. Our kids played it all throughout their development in the US development system. Our Euros are all really strong transition guys getting the puck through the neutral zone and making plays off lateral passing and switches in the offensive zone. I liked that a lot about AV’s coaching, but the rest has been garbage for three years. Someone like Gallant coaches similarly to what I’m talking about, and the favorite names I’ve seen mentioned are Jim Montgomery, Knoblauch, and Keefe. I think Groulx, coach of the Syracuse Crunch, would be a good fit.

Just for the love of all things holy, please no more sending three guys below the goal line to leave the slot wide open for cross-seam passes and completely ignoring keeping an F3 near the net on a forecheck to prevent breakouts down the middle.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The timing isn't bad. Maybe it was accelerated half a day by his speech.

It will give AV the best chance of landing somewhere new. Maybe a team on the fence about their own staff pulls the trigger to pick him up. It's certainly better than waiting till some spots are filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad