Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There was no point of firing AV right after the letter----that is until now. This year was already toast. Next year will be a fresh start. Not a fan of Ruff or Arniel and you can't really bring in a new staff all at once while the season is still ongoing. As well it gives you time to have a look around to draw up a list of potential coaches who might be available and you might as well take it and not rush into decisions that you might regret later.

.......and I wonder if Allaire will be staying. You never know....he might decide he wants out too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don’t think the timing is wrong for a change.

With that said, put 100 outside experts in a room and pool them if we under AV have:
1. Underperformed
2. Performed as expected
3. Overperformed

We won more P.O. games than most under AV. Won a president trophy. Did a lot of things.

I can’t imagine that 1 of those 100 experts goes with 1. Think a vast majority goes with 3.

In light of that, I do think the enourmous crew claiming that he is like the worst ever is pretty lost to be honest.

But it is what it is. One cup the last 75 years — maybe there is a reason for that?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

With that said, put 100 outside experts in a room and pool them if we under AV have:
1. Underperformed
2. Performed as expected
3. Overperformed

We won more P.O. games than most under AV. Won a president trophy. Did a lot of things.

I can’t imagine that 1 of those 100 experts goes with 1. Think a vast majority goes with 3.

In light of that, I do think the enourmous crew claiming that he is like the worst ever is pretty lost to be honest.

But it is what it is. One cup the last 75 years — maybe there is a reason for that?
Yes....LOFT . That is the main reason . Lack of ******* talent. :laugh:

Reactions: Ola

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Henrik Lundqvist overperformed...almest everyone else underperformed or did as expected.

Torts got the most he could out of a lineup...av got enough to keep his job for 3 extra years.

People who don't follow this team will look at it and say he overperformed...poll 100 ppl who actually watches them on a nightly basis and see them giving up 20 unscreened shots from the slot every game and you'll get a better idea of what this team is.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I do think it's only fair to consider his entire body of work when doing an overall evaluation. His entire body of work here was very good, despite some limitations regarding playoff adjustments.

His last two years have been terrible though. The capital he banked with his early success here is why he wasn't fired after the Ottawa series. He was given more than a fair shake.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I think AV did one thing. Relieved pressure on the players. It’s pretty obvious torts beat players to hell. AV came in and was the opposite.

He didn’t lead the team and once it lost its original leadership group it was a captainless ship. (Not a shot at mcdonagh).

But once this team started taking shape into “AVs team” it just all went down hill. Tanner glass, lee stempniak, buch and vesey, washed up MSL and Richards, Girardi, the player usage problems were spray painted all over the wall. If you didn’t notice them you’re legally blind. His trying to fit a square peg into a round hole system, he’s abissmal PP strategies that worked for the first month until everyone got tape on it.

If I had to quantify it I’d say 80% of his success (which is all early in his stay here) is due to the relief of Torts being gone and the roster at the time. 10% miracle (MSL mom and the following effect it had on the team). 10% AV offensive system

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Henrik Lundqvist overperformed...almest everyone else underperformed or did as expected.

Torts got the most he could out of a lineup...av got enough to keep his job for 3 extra years.

People who don't follow this team will look at it and say he overperformed...poll 100 ppl who actually watches them on a nightly basis and see them giving up 20 unscreened shots from the slot every game and you'll get a better idea of what this team is.
The f***ed up part is that AV identified goaltending as the issue. The dude called out Henrik when he had a .930 on the season and then a few months later tells the world that the strength of the rangers is the coaching staff. This guy is f***ing delusional.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

1. Underperformed
2. Performed as expected
3. Overperformed

The problem is outside experts think the team has sucked because outside of Lundqvist and McDonagh they had no household names.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It is possible to praise AV for his first two years here, while simultaneously disliking him for these last two. I don’t see why he has to be viewed as 5 years in aggregate.
First year. His second year wasn’t that good and the Tampa series was the beginning of this nightmare. I didn’t think I would ever see a worse display of coaching after that series and somehow he outdid himself every day after that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
AV will get another job this summer. Dallas had a miserable season. Nill wanted to hire AV in 2013. Do they replace Hitch? They didn’t give him a long term contract. The Blues? Another team with a miserable season. AV is a better coach than Yeo. Calgary? Their coach is awful. Miserable season. AV has coached in Canada. He knows those markets. Montreal. Manitoba. Vancouver. The Caps? Trotz does not have a contract for next season. The GM Brian MacLellan got an extension. Rierden will probably replace Trotz if they make a change. Carolina can’t afford AV or another big name coach.

The Rangers need a young coach. Not Darryl Sutter or Dave Tippett. The Rangers are a rebuilding team in transition. Sutter needs to coach a team ready to win. He is 60. Too old for a rebuild. Tippett chafed in Arizona when they wanted to rebuild. He fought with Maloney about trading a first in 2015 to Boston for Hamilton. Not the right guy.

Reactions: TheTakedown and jas

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The ****ed up part is that AV identified goaltending as the issue. The dude called out Henrik when he had a .930 on the season and then a few months later tells the world that the strength of the rangers is the coaching staff. This guy is ****ing delusional.
He skated tanner glass regularly for years.. he’s not delusional he’s Pejorative Slured

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
First year. His second year wasn’t that good and the Tampa series was the beginning of this nightmare. I didn’t think I would ever see a worse display of coaching after that series and somehow he outdid himself every day after that.
No, he gets credit for a team that won the President’s Trophy. Let’s not be silly about this. That team was absolutely destroyed by injuries in the playoffs and still almost went to the Cup final. He made a bad choice in Game 7 to go 11F/7D, but we had three injured D and Zucc’s skull was caved in

Reactions: kovazub94

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
AV will get another job this summer. Dallas had a miserable season. Nill wanted to hire AV in 2013. Do they replace Hitch? They didn’t give him a long term contract. The Blues? Another team with a miserable season. AV is a better coach than Yeo. Calgary? Their coach is awful. Miserable season. AV has coached in Canada. He knows those markets. Montreal. Manitoba. Vancouver. The Caps? Trotz does not have a contract for next season. The GM Brian MacLellan got an extension. Rierden will probably replace Trotz if they make a change. Carolina can’t afford AV or another big name coach.

The Rangers need a young coach. Not Darryl Sutter or Dave Tippett. The Rangers are a rebuilding team in transition. Sutter needs to coach a team ready to win. He is 60. Too old for a rebuild. Tippett chafed in Arizona when they wanted to rebuild. He fought with Maloney about trading a first in 2015 to Boston for Hamilton. Not the right guy.
I don’t think Yeo is a bad coach at all. Jake Allen was out-of-this-universe bad this season. Their C depth and overall depth sucks.

Out of the retreads, he’s probably the one I’d hire. I like your idea of Jim Montgomery out of Denver. His big recruits will be gone and he’s due for a new challenge.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No, he gets credit for a team that won the President’s Trophy. Let’s not be silly about this. That team was absolutely destroyed by injuries in the playoffs and still almost went to the Cup final. He made a bad choice in Game 7 to go 11F/7D, but we had three injured D and Zucc’s skull was caved in
That team was when the defense went to shit. If I remember correctly, the underlying metrics were absolute garbage that year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I do think it's only fair to consider his entire body of work when doing an overall evaluation. His entire body of work here was very good, despite some limitations regarding playoff adjustments.

His last two years have been terrible though. The capital he banked with his early success here is why he wasn't fired after the Ottawa series. He was given more than a fair shake.

The Ottawa series stung, but many players were really flat that year. Doing well in the regular season and winning one P.O. series quite easy last season wasn’t horrible. We had very little depth this season but did really well before players started to go down.

Just saying, not sure I would describe them as ‘terrible’.

Everything has been AVs fault. Imagine if we had not a good coach, but at least someone that wasn’t completely worthless? This team would surely have established a dynasty by now and have 3-4 Cups. Or?

Reading how horrible AV has been — that must be the conclusion right?

It’s just not supported by the talent or lack thereof on the roster. The math don’t add up.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That team was when the defense went to ****. If I remember correctly, the underlying metrics were absolute garbage that year.
They weren't great if you look at it in aggregate, but we were still nearly a 50% CF% team that was unbelievable offensively. When you break them down by score, that team spent the most time leading and had the second fewest minutes trailing in the entire league. Even leading, they were 10th in CF%. That team was really f***ing good and could score at will. We win the Cup that year if we stay healthy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

We new it was coming so I’m happy I don’t need to wait any longer. Actually don’t hear it come up a lot these days (just barely here and there) but to a lot of us it what was a very questionable decision re. an extension that AV got from Sather. I say Sather because the writing started to get more transparent that AV wasn’t a good coach to move forward if Gorton already had a vision of HIS team, not Sathers blueprint.

Bet AV lands another good gig. From an outsider perspective AV could get plenty of excuses to explain both missed playoffs and near misses. I wouldn’t be surprised if goes to coach another strong roster that could compete for SC. Because I think he screwed the Rangers out of a better chance in SCF and at least one ECF appearance, I promise I will not be upset if it turns out a short gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad