Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Here's the big thing that really gets me in the end

Every single year since he was hired, the Rangers would start the season and look like they had NO clue at all how to play whatever system AV wanted them to play. Complete lack of cohesion, no responsibility from any player, constant breakdowns all over the ice. I can certainly understand the first season (though I remember thinking and probably saying on here that whatever system AV was trying to run wasn't one that the Rangers could actually run), but to have it happen every single year...you'd think that the players would either be coached well enough or prepared well enough that they wouldn't have to spend 15-20 games remembering how to play hockey. That's not normal, and that's not good in this days NHL. You can't throw away a quarter of the season getting back up to speed because your coach can't prepare you well enough for the start of the season or is running some system that requires players to play a full quarter of the season before they start meshing with each other and figuring it out.

I think piggy backing on this has to be that in the moments it did finally get right... blown leads were a hallmark of this “system”

I don’t think AV was as bad as some feel but I also feel he won’t ever win it all. The system doesn’t work over 7 games. U can win Pres Trophies w it but it won’t win cups.

Agree w most that if u blow leads against OTT and “lose” ur best d-men in a 7 game series u should be gone. That this happened a few hrs after the last game can be debated but I wasn’t surprised it happened.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think they just wanted to get this over with ASAP so they could start their search.
I get the impression they wanted to make the position available and known as available as soon as possible. I do not expect the remaining staff (except Allaire) to be here - but I could see them not being relieved at the same time because the incoming coach may want to keep someone and the Rangers are giving that incoming guy that option.

I also think AV's unsolicited postgame remarks sparked a quicker firing than was planned. However, I did not see any scenario in which he wasn't fired within the week.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Good riddance you ****ing bum
No more starting the season unprepared
No more starting each period unprepared
No more sitting young talent for over the hill vets
No more implementing a system that half the team isnt equipped to play
WHAT A DAY

Given that Rangers fans complain about these things with every coach I’ve ever witnessed them have, it’s pretty safe to say none of these things are “no more.”

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Hope the door hits his ass on the way out. In my 29 years as a fan, I’ve never seen a coach utilize his roster as bad as AV.

His decision making was atrocious. His line combos were ridiculous. And he refused to make vital changes with his failed system.

Good ****ing riddance. Fire the rest of the staff and let’s get back on track.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
as someone in the minority that was against firing torts, i have to say av did his job. the guy, overall, is a good coach. i do have a ton of issues with how he handles his locker room/personalities (ie removing any semblance of toughness/self defense in the name of sportsmanship or something - but this is pro sports and, in my experience, a huge part of a successful team is a locker room that has each others backs), but he certainly outperformed against the nhl benchmark during his tenure excepting these last few months post blowup. i'm not advocating becoming the broad street bullies, but a couple games a year when everything is stacked against you between the refs and bs hits (ie nashville) you have to draw a line in the sand and push back. if that means 5 guys getting tossed in the 3rd of a game thats already lost, so be it - the camaraderie built in those moments is the glue that holds rooms together when you're down 3-2 and going on the road in an april series.

all that said, i'm probably obviously fine with canning him. but thats only assuming there's a plan in place for his replacement. we weren't winning the cup next year anyway and he's a known commodity. if you don't have a target lined up than i'd say keep him another year and take that time to really map out/evaluate/figure the probability of accepting an offer of your targets. but if that due diligence is done and gorton has his man in mind/a good idea he can get said man, well then lets ride. i think gorton is a phenominal gm - so if he's got someone in mind, i think that someone will do very well here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
jfqf090n_p0bvqo_rbbr8c.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5