Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Everything has been AVs fault. Imagine if we had not a good coach, but at least someone that wasn’t completely worthless? This team would surely have established a dynasty by now and have 3-4 Cups. Or?

Reading how horrible AV has been — that must be the conclusion right?

It’s just not supported by the talent or lack thereof on the roster. The math don’t add up.

Of course "everything" isn't AV's fault, but he made some very visible, significant contributions to the Rangers failures these past couple of years. I'm willing to forgive his Tanner Glass obsession because the guy actually did ok last year, but continuing to ride Staal/Holden in high leverage situations (and being repeatedly burned by it) and an overall unwillingness to keep up the pressure after taking a lead is 100% on AV.

I don't know if another coach could have pushed this team over the top. I do very much believe that a slightly less stubborn AV could have done it though.

Reactions: haveandare

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Shep scores, healthy scratch in game 7 for Hunwick who got 4 minutes of playing time. Tanner plays on.

Never seen a coach voluntarily play a man down before. That’s was something.

Amazing really. I won't lie I liked AV after 2014 but his love of Glass was just too much for me. To knowingly make your roster worse is beyond comprehension to me. One of the best 4th lines in hockey in 2014 to arguably top 5 worst. That was a piss poor personnel decision based on a player he coached prior.

I could understand trading Dorsett, that was a good hockey trade. Essentially swapping Boyle for Glass is pretty f***ed up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They weren't great if you look at it in aggregate, but we were still nearly a 50% CF% team that was unbelievable offensively. When you break them down by score, that team spent the most time leading and had the second fewest minutes trailing in the entire league. Even leading, they were 10th in CF%. That team was really ****ing good and could score at will. We win the Cup that year if we stay healthy.

That team was one laughably bad goal away from losing to the Caps in 5.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I appreciate what AV did for the Rangers. He helped lead us to the SCF and an ECF. He deserves recognition for those achievements. But every coach has a shelf life. I think he knew his time was up. Hence the speech yesterday. Good coach but no longer the right one.

I hope Gorts finds the right guy for the job to take us into the new era of Rangers hockey. That decision is as important as what they do on June 22.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
No, he gets credit for a team that won the President’s Trophy. Let’s not be silly about this. That team was absolutely destroyed by injuries in the playoffs and still almost went to the Cup final. He made a bad choice in Game 7 to go 11F/7D, but we had three injured D and Zucc’s skull was caved in

The signs were there. Between the Glass infatuation, under-utilizing Stempniak, putting Yandle on the 2nd PP unit, over-reliance on Girardi and Staal when decline had already set in...that team fought tooth and nail with a Pens' team not at full strength, followed by being forced to come back from being down 3-1 to a Cap they should have put away earlier.

2015-16 was completely on him. The continued misuse of Yandle, the misuse of Eric Staal, Playing a clearly injured Girardi...it continued to go downhill.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...same stuff went down in Vancouver years ago. Guy never made in game adjustments and got out coached way too many times.

Why do I keep thinking that Sutter ends up coaching here?

So I understand that we would have had a MUCH better result if we had another coach than AV, right?

The problem is, looking at our roster I don’t think anyone would agree with you. That we should have had a much better result than we had. Something don’t add up, the roster we had was pretty far from dynasty materia.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The signs were there. Between the Glass infatuation, under-utilizing Stempniak, putting Yandle on the 2nd PP unit, over-reliance on Girardi and Staal when decline had already set in...that team foot tooth and nail with a Pens' team not at full strength, followed by being forced to come back from being down 3-1 to a Cap they should have put away earlier.

2015-16 was completely on him. The continued misuse of Yandle, the misuse of Eric Staal, Playing a clearly injured Girardi...it continued to go downhill.
I know, I agree with the last three years being on him. I'm giving him credit for the first two seasons because he's earned it. Pitt trapped us to death that series, and it was borderline unwatchable hockey. It was more frustrating than anything, and those first few Caps games were close. We still eeked it out in 7 because that team had a never say die attitude.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Your obsession with wanting to run Lundqvist out of town is getting out of control. Did someone run a virus in your code?

Lundqvist just wants a chance. He design want to be a bottom feeder. Frankly neither does anyone else except for a few people in the board.

Colorado made the playoffs this year after a historically low finish last year. Devils were 27th last year. Rebuilds happen quickly nowadays with players contributin in the NHL earlier than ever before. Gorton and Lundqvist are probably on the same page with wanting to be competitive next year.

The select few on this board who want to stink for multiple seasons will never cease to amaze me specially in an era where rebuilds are happening faster than ever and players are making the nhl sooner than ever before. Wanting to suck? No. I want Gorton to parlay a few assets into a young talent and also nail his picks and make some savvy moves. This team could be fighting for a p,Goff spot back on the upswing as soon as next season.
Last season was not the only season those teams have been bad...its just a culmination of many years

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
On the ice he would be a great fit in Calgary. But their major complaint this offseason: not enough accountability in the lockerroom. Too much playing nice amongst the player leadership. This coach doesn't play the "bad guy" too well to drive the team.

Kind of interesting to see it with another team, but of a re-affirmation here. He would not be a great fit in Calgary overall unless they get a Messier captain-type.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I know, I agree with the last three years being on him. I'm giving him credit for the first two seasons because he's earned it. Pitt trapped us to death that series, and it was borderline unwatchable hockey. It was more frustrating than anything, and those first few Caps games were close. We still eeked it out in 7 because that team had a never say die attitude.

He relied too heavily on players he shouldn't have, and underplayed the players he should. He also didn't play his best lineup, because "it was the right thing to do." That started in 2014-5.

Also, who loses a defense pairing in the middle of an important playoff game?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
In hindsight, I'm surprised there was so much doubt surrounding whether he was going to be fired. That it happened a mere five hours after the last game of the season spoke volumes about the FO's disgust with him.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I hated the way we gave up the blue line CONSTANTLY with his “system”

Yeah part of that may have been on the puppy dogs we had playing D at times but it seemed to happen w such regularity that it seemed systemic

The tops of the circles too. Teams padded their shot totals on us with point shots. Those shots also created havoc in front of the net.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He relied too heavily on players he shouldn't have, and underplayed the players he should. He also didn't play his best lineup, because "it was the right thing to do." That started in 2014-5.

Have you read anything else I've posted in this thread? Those things started in 14-15, but they still had the depth to make them mostly irrelevant issues. The year after is when it spiraled downwards. I've been done with him for 3 years, and have said multiple times that he should've been fired after the Ottawa debacle.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

That's just a verbal excuse for what I would equate to his office politics. He favored his guys and veterans over younger players. His hands-off approach let the veterans run the room, but that also meant that the veterans were at the top of the pecking order and get the assignments on ice.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I woke up this morning, sat down at my computer, and opened HFBoards. Suddenly the clouds broke, the sun poured down melting the rest of the snow. Birds seemingly materialized before my eyes and before I knew it I was living in the scene from Roger Rabbit when they first enter Toontown.

0005.gif

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Have you read anything else I've posted in this thread? Those things started in 14-15, but they still had the depth to make them mostly irrelevant issues. The year after is when it spiraled downwards. I've been done with him for 3 years, and have said multiple times that he should've been fired after the Ottawa debacle.

Yes, I have, and I don't give him a pass for 2014-5 because of the President's Trophy. Give him credit for giving the Pens the blueprint of how the game will be played going forward. But, that team was handicapped by how he deployed personnel and his inability to adjust. The Pens trapped the Rangers to death? Great, make adjustments. He never could.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I woke up this morning, sat down at my computer, and opened HFBoards. Suddenly the clouds broke, the sun poured down melting the rest of the snow. Birds seemingly materialized before my eyes and before I knew it I was living in the scene from Roger Rabbit when they first enter Toontown.

0005.gif
Hahahhwhw I just showed my wife this..when I saw the alert on my phone I was overjoyed...gave her a hug3 beaming smile a hug and a dance...she was confused.....then I showed her my phone and she laughed lol

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Now, more of "My City" to fill in "AV Squad" time slots

Edit: Corrected "Club" to "Squad"

Shame on me for not getting the name right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad