Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
The team pretty much got worse every year under AV. His greatest failure was his refusal to design a scheme based on the players he had rather than the players he wanted. Not a good motivator. Terrible with young guys.

Not going to miss him. Feel like 90% of the success we had during his tenure was in spite of him rather than because of him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thank f***. It was time for a change.

I think the team overachieved relative to talent level when you're strictly looking at standings and playoff runs. But he did not play a good style - especially towards the end of his tenure. I blame the GM as much for not putting the pieces, but the coach certainly didn't help.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The team pretty much got worse every year under AV. His greatest failure was his refusal to design a scheme based on the players he had rather than the players he wanted. Not a good motivator. Terrible with young guys.

Not going to miss him. Feel like 90% of the success we had during his tenure was in spite of him rather than because of him.

When we had the perfect balance of free-flowing hockey (thanks to AV) with discipline and defensive aptitude (thanks to Torts). We need to bring the latter back--especially the discipline.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
For all the soccer fans out here: anyone else see a similarity between the Rangers under AV after Torts, and Chelsea under Conte after Mourinho?

Reactions: Graves94

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

And I hate to say it because it's awful to think about, but I'm nearly positive in 2014 we are out in 5 against Pittsburgh if Marty's mom didn't pass away. We were totally dead in the water in Games 2-4.

And then when Marty scored that quick goal in Game 6, on Mothers Day, I knew there was no chance in hell we weren't winning that series. The Rangers themselves knew it. The Penguins probably knew it too.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When we had the perfect balance of free-flowing hockey (thanks to AV) with discipline and defensive aptitude (thanks to Torts). We need to bring the latter back--especially the discipline.

I think everyone would agree that relative to Torts who was fired preemptively, AV stay was overextended. Probably even as much as two years.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can't wait 'til we hire Roy or Therrien
0uQxiIU.png

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
We knew this was coming. Gorton wasted no time. AV will be a coach again in the league soon. I didn't hate him as much as some other posters do but the writing was obviously on the wall that it was time to move on.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Not to rain on anyone's parade but the ratio of bad coaches to good coaches in this league is very unfavorable. Odds are we end up with ****.

Unless we dip into the college or minor league pools, which technically avoids what you're saying. :)

Reactions: mrmel329

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Interesting side note: An hour earlier, my Rangers wall clock fell off the wall by itself. It was on Command hanging strips.

I'm seriously not making this up.

Reactions: TheTakedown

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Does it? It's one example but at one point the most sought after minor league coach was Dallas Eakins.

I was just being a smartarse and going literally by your sentence. If we get, for example, Rick Bennett, he's not a bad coach in this league...yet.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
The tops of the circles too. Teams padded their shot totals on us with point shots. Those shots also created havoc in front of the net.
And the slot. Our guys were constantly challenging outside the dots, toward the wall even, leaving someone to trail or sneak into the slot. Good teams don't do that. Look at Vegas, Winnipeg, Boston. There's a box between the dots that no one gets in.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
And the slot. Our guys were constantly challenging outside the dots, toward the wall even, leaving someone to trail or sneak into the slot. Good teams don't do that. Look at Vegas, Winnipeg, Boston. There's a box between the dots that no one gets in.

His system and philosophy morphed into something that just wasn't right 200 x 85, not just in the defensive zone but all over the ice. The "free flowing" style introduced high-risk plays, namely chipping the puck into open areas and using stick checking instead of playing the body when it was necessary. When a defenseman went deep as a fourth forward, he more often than not made a low percentage offensive play -- a bad pass into the low or high slot or shooting the puck wide -- triggering transitions against us. It was just too aggressive as the league got better at countering it and as our players started to fail in executing it.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Wow, this far into this thread and not one of my brothers and sisters have suggested Mark Messier as Head Coach with Graves and Leetch as his assistants.
But in all seriousness if Montreal was to relieve Claude Julien of his position that’s where I believe Gorton would go.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Wow, this far into this thread and not one of my brothers and sisters have suggested Mark Messier as Head Coach with Graves and Leetch as his assistants.
But in all seriousness if Montreal was to relieve Claude Julien of his position that’s where I believe Gorton would go.

'Young coach who can grow with team' means Claude Julien to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad