Affiliates IX: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
He’s done a really good job with that group,” said an opposing AHL coach who didn’t wish to be identified. “There are some real bastards on that team, and he has a system that really works for them. They are dynamic and fun to watch. (Vogelhuber) seems like a really good, young, smart guy.”

“Bastards”? What does that mean? To whom is he referring?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He’s done a really good job with that group,” said an opposing AHL coach who didn’t wish to be identified. “There are some real bastards on that team, and he has a system that really works for them. They are dynamic and fun to watch. (Vogelhuber) seems like a really good, young, smart guy.”

“Bastards”? What does that mean? To whom is he referring?
Gotta think Malatesta’s one of them. And some of the AHL lifers like Gaunce.

What’s your source for that quote?

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Gotta think Malatesta’s one of them. And some of the AHL lifers like Gaunce.

What’s your source for that quote?
Malatesta seems like a loose cannon. Not sure who the other bastards would be, unless he is using that term as being hard to play against, which they can be. They still have too many games where they either show up not ready, or lose intensity during the course of a game. Last night being an example, first 2 periods were good, but were outplayed in the 3rd and OT.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Malatesta seems like a loose cannon. Not sure who the other bastards would be, unless he is using that term as being hard to play against, which they can be. They still have too many games where they either show up not ready, or lose intensity during the course of a game. Last night being an example, first 2 periods were good, but were outplayed in the 3rd and OT.
I hope Malatesta soaked up as much Patrick Roy leadership as he could the past few years. We desperately need that fire.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Lines from yesterday

Pyythia/Gaunce/Meyer
Pearson/O. Sillinger/Fix-Wolansky
Malatesta/Del Bel Belluz/Matteau
Angle/McKown/Whelan
Ahcan/Butler/Gaudet

Christiansen/Clayton
Bjork/Jiricek
Svozil/Knazko
Ceulemans/Sweezey

Greaves
Cajan

PP1

Gaunce
Jiricek/Meyer/Fix-Wolansky
Bjork

PP2

McKown
Pyythia/O. Sillinger/Christiansen
Svozil

Reactions: tunnelvision

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Team tried to lose but pulled it out in OT on a Fix Wolansky penalty shot. Couple big saves by Greaves in OT

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Monsters get a win in OT on a TFW penalty shot. 2 goals and an assist. Jiricek with a goal also. Greaves played an outstanding game. Back in first as Syracuse was off. Two more games this weekend yet. Their 3 in 3's all seem to be on the road thus year. Need to start winning in regulation though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Monsters get a win in OT on a TFW penalty shot. 2 goals and an assist. Jiricek with a goal also. Greaves played an outstanding game. Back in first as Syracuse was off. Two more games this weekend yet. Their 3 in 3's all seem to be on the road thus year. Need to start winning in regulation though.

How has Jiricek looked, points aside?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Monsters get the win tonight in the shootout after blowing a 3-0 lead. Up 3-2 late, they get yet another penalty in the last few minutes and give up a PPG. No even strength goals tonight as all six were scored on special teams, each team getting two power play and one shortie each.

Monsters get 7 of the last 8 possible points to open up a 5 point lead in the division. Took 5 out of 6 in a 3 in 3 last weekend. Monsters 30-15-2-2 on the year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Monsters get the win tonight in the shootout after blowing a 3-0 lead. Up 3-2 late, they get yet another penalty in the last few minutes and give up a PPG. No even strength goals tonight as all six were scored on special teams, each team getting two power play and one shortie each.

Monsters get 7 of the last 8 possible points to open up a 5 point lead in the division. Took 5 out of 6 in a 3 in 3 last weekend. Monsters 30-15-2-2 on the year.

How did Jiricek look?

(I know this is a repetitive question, but let's be honest, it's the main topic of interest for many of us in the thread).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How did Jiricek look?

(I know this is a repetitive question, but let's be honest, it's the main topic of interest for many of us in the thread).
I’m also curious on Svozil and Ceulemans. Svozil got a lot of hype last year and then has almost disappeared.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
How did Jiricek look?

Yeah, he is pretty much the only guy right now to pay attention to. Having said that, he hasn't been too noticeable, good or bad, lately. Had a turnover in OT that didn't lead to anything. Did get a chance in the shootout, but it was forgettable. Don't think that matters anyway. He hasn't been any better or worse than anybody else that is here, not really standing out.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I’m also curious on Svozil and Ceulemans. Svozil got a lot of hype last year and then has almost disappeared.
I think Svozil has been good this season. Didn't play last night as they put in Knazko. Tony Brown touched on it a bit saying at this time of year they are trying to win more than worry about getting in time for everyone. If that is the reasoning, I would have rather had Svozil in, I think he gives the team a better chance to win than Knazko, but I am just a guy sitting on a couch watching.

Cuelemans played last night and was ok. That about sums him up, he's ok. I know it doesn't mean too much, but he is second worst in +/- among defenseman at -4, which isn't horrible. Jiricek is worst at -9, which also isn't bad considering none of our defensemen are in double digits.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Mknsters give up 2 shorties in the second, one in the first. Down 3-2.

Counting last night, that 4 shorthanded goals against in 2 games. Ugh.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Jiricek just scored from the point with 2.4 seconds on the clock when the face off started. Jiricek has a goal and assist so far. Monsters up on Providence 2-1.
I love when that happens, right off the draw before the period ends. I'll never forget my younger cousin and I calling it at a Jackets game in the early years, like 2003, it was against the Islanders and we had the whole 20+ members of the family in a party tower for my grandparents anniversary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad