Former Bruins Adam McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chara would handle him in my opinion.But he is darn tough and throws punches like he wants his fist to pop out the back of a guys head.
McQuaid is part of the last tough team the NHL will ever see

You will never see a team like the 2009-14 group again because of the changes in the game

Reactions: 22Brad Park

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
He was bad and then equally good/bad these last two games respectively but so were most of the other Bruins players so you can't just blame him.

As a full package, I'd take Miller as the #6 D whenever he is healthy but it's a nice luxury that you don't need to rush him back just like they didn't need to rush McQuaid back.

The end of the NJ game shows the respect he has from fans and his teammates...and opponents. I'm sure he thought that was a dirty hit and at first blush, I thought so as well, but the replay with other angles showed the NJ D got low to brace and his shoulder did not make head contact (even though he could have and not been suspended because it was through the body). I don't like most of the fighting on clean hits but I get the ones that look more dangerous make you want to respond and they help bring teams together. I still think that DeBrusk fight (and 17 penalty min) for the hit on McAvoy just 7 game into the Bruins point streak was a strong part of that streak's length and hopefully this one is key to a new one. There is also a lot of respect in the league, not just for McQuaid's throwing prowess, but that he doesn't take shots at guys when they are down.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
McQuaid is part of the last tough team the NHL will ever see

You will never see a team like the 2009-14 group again because of the changes in the game

I'll give you this, he's definitely the silverback in the room.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I am not sure who will sit etc but how you can love the Bruins but not love Mcquaid is beyond me . Even if he does sit all or some it obviously isn't an easy choice . He is used in many defensive key situations --p.k last minute etc and also the fact he has everyone on the team's back. I don't mind hearing fans say I would sit Mcquaid when all seven are healthy because lets face it we now have seven really good defenseman but I will never understand the hate or he is useless talk etc etc.

Reactions: blazenlo

blazenlo

Oct 3, 2005
Maine
I am not sure who will sit etc but how you can love the Bruins but not love Mcquaid is beyond me . Even if he does sit all or some it obviously isn't an easy choice . He is used in many defensive key situations --p.k last minute etc and also the fact he has everyone on the team's back. I don't mind hearing fans say I would sit Mcquaid when all seven are healthy because lets face it we now have seven really good defenseman but I will never understand the hate or he is useless talk etc etc.
Well said

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am in the camp of all things being equal, I play Miller over McQuaid, as he's just a better all-around hockey player. That said, McQuaid does some things really well, and as we've seen over the years, if he will occasionally get burned by his lack of footspeed (which he has improved this season, btw, so good on him!) he will never hurt you by being out there. Having both Miller and McQuaid as options is a nice luxury for the team, so we should enjoy it while it lasts. I think back to last season and the year before when our D was looking like the biggest question mark going forward. Times have changed!

Reactions: BMC

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Well Said Dr.Hook and I actually agree with you on K.miller although if I was the coach and thank God I am not lol I would rotate k.miller. adam, Gryz and possibly carlo and even give Z the odd game off for rest reasons as scratches if all seven were healthy during the regular season and than go game by game decision playoff wise .

Reactions: Dr Hook

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
One thing is for sure.... There is not 1 Bruins fan that isn't happy to see a guy like McQuaid make sure that if someone takes any liberties with our stars the will have to pay for it dearly....

And, yes, that will always be a part of the game. Nowhere near what it used to be, but as long as you have a good team with good players, you'll have guys trying to take them out all of the time. And when other teams know that they''ll have to answer the bell it changes the dynamics on the ice.

Perfect example.... McLeod was running everything in sight ...... McQuaid stopped that in its tracks.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
One thing is for sure.... There is not 1 Bruins fan that isn't happy to see a guy like McQuaid make sure that if someone takes any liberties with our stars the will have to pay for it dearly....

And, yes, that will always be a part of the game. Nowhere near what it used to be, but as long as you have a good team with good players, you'll have guys trying to take them out all of the time. And when other teams know that they''ll have to answer the bell it changes the dynamics on the ice.

Perfect example.... McLeod was running everything in sight ...... McQuaid stopped that in its tracks.

Not sure how successful he was at "stopping it in its tracks" given that they fought less than 5 mins into the game and then again with less than 5 mins left.

Reactions: 00BW

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I'd dispute this, have you read some of the posters who are looking forward to non contact hockey with no fighting just all speed and skill. McQuaid takes more **** here than he should, he should take none. But some of the analytic and new style NHL fans have no idea how lucky the Bruins are to have a player who plays the game the right way. I'm pretty sure his teammates and coaches do though.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'd dispute this, have you read some of the posters who are looking forward to non contact hockey with no fighting just all speed and skill. McQuaid takes more **** here than he should, he should take none. But some of the analytic and new style NHL fans have no idea how lucky the Bruins are to have a player who plays the game the right way. I'm pretty his teammates and coaches do though.
I don't think there's a single poster on this board looking forward to non-contact hockey. I just think few have the desire for knuckledraggers like you do. The game has changed. Deal with it. That said, you are absolutely right that McQuaid plays the game the right way. I'm sure you're right about his teammates and coaches too.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd dispute this, have you read some of the posters who are looking forward to non contact hockey with no fighting just all speed and skill. McQuaid takes more **** here than he should, he should take none. But some of the analytic and new style NHL fans have no idea how lucky the Bruins are to have a player who plays the game the right way. I'm pretty his teammates and coaches do though.
:clap:Love this post !

Reactions: Otherworld and BMC

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Not sure how successful he was at "stopping it in its tracks" given that they fought less than 5 mins into the game and then again with less than 5 mins left.

The first fight was McQuaid oblinging upon a request. The secong was McQuaid sending a message.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I'd dispute this, have you read some of the posters who are looking forward to non contact hockey with no fighting just all speed and skill. McQuaid takes more **** here than he should, he should take none. But some of the analytic and new style NHL fans have no idea how lucky the Bruins are to have a player who plays the game the right way. I'm pretty sure his teammates and coaches do though.

It is a real shame that some do not recognize what a player like McQuaid does for the team.

I know when I played hockey, having someone out on the ice watching my back was invaluable.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The first fight was McQuaid oblinging upon a request. The secong was McQuaid sending a message.

That doesn't in any way explain why you cite that game as a "perfect example" of McLeod running everything in sight until McQuaid supposedly stopped it in its tracks. Which fight did that? By your own admission, it wasn't the first one because that was McQuaid obliging him. And it can't be the last one, because there were only a few mins left in the game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't think there's a single poster on this board looking forward to non-contact hockey. I just think few have the desire for knuckledraggers like you do. The game has changed. Deal with it. That said, you are absolutely right that McQuaid plays the game the right way. I'm sure you're right about his teammates and coaches too.

I've never been a fan of "goons" in the NHL, going back to when I started watching hockey I would always take a O'Reilly over a Carlson or later a Miller or Byers over a Caulfield. While Bill Goldthorpe may have been entertaining in the minors it's where he should have stayed.

Today there is no way you can survive just as a fighter but being willing and able to fight should be looked at as a plus over a "skilled" player who produces at the same level not a detriment.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I can't believe there are still people that believe this myth that goons or fighters protect the skilled guys. We all saw how Chara 'protected' Bergeron from a massive concussion. We all saw how Chara, Lucic, Boychuck, Thornton, and possibly McQuaid (not sure if it was 1 of his 19 games) protected Marc Savard from his massive, career ending concussion. Or Horton from that hit in the finals.

Guys have been running at Gryz for the entire first period of the Calgary game and his D partner McQuaid isn't deterring any of that.

Let this myth die...

Reactions: Estlin

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
That doesn't in any way explain why you cite that game as a "perfect example" of McLeod running everything in sight until McQuaid supposedly stopped it in its tracks. Which fight did that? By your own admission, it wasn't the first one because that was McQuaid obliging him. And it can't be the last one, because there were only a few mins left in the game.

Of course it can be the last one ..... Why can't it ?

McLeod started running players at the end of the game so if you watched the game you'd understand what I was referring too.

It is a perfect example because a message can be sent and received not only for one game... it can be sent and received for future meetings of the two teams and the 2 players as well. Just ask Lucic and Komisarek if that notion rings true.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

McLeod started running players at the end of the game so if you watched the game you'd understand what I was referring too.

It is a perfect example because a message can be sent and received not only for one game... it can be sent and received for future meetings of the two teams and the 2 players as well. Just ask Lucic and Komisarek if that notion rings true.

You will now hear about how another small, "puck moving defenseman" is so much more valuable than a guy like McQuaid, how the game has no place for players like McQuaid and McLeod and being tough proves nothing and the Bruins shouldn't have players like that while a non physical player who would never fight or stick up for himself or his teammates is so much smarter and better to have on the team.

Then will come the "bruins fans love physical hockey but not dumb goons" responses, even those making those statements will tell you how they don't need anybody tough and that Noel Accari is all they need for a physical forward while a key component like Austin Czarnik is being wasted or better yet how Alex Khokoklachev was never given a fair shot in the NHL.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

It's a ridiculous claim because neither saw the ice after that. It's one thing to put a stop to something in the first or second period. It's another to supposedly put a stop to something at the end of the guy's last shift of the game. You must be joking if (1) you really think McLeod didn't start running players until the end of the game and (2) you think McLeod's never going to take a run at another Bruin in any future meetings because of anything that happened the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad