Former Bruins Adam McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Good PK guy sitting in the stands ridiculous. Seems they are giving up a PP goal every game.
Do you think he was playing better than Gryz? I don't.

He and Carlo were both playing hot and cold, but while McQ can fight and stick up for guys, he's also more likely than Carlo to take the foolish/anger-related penalty and put us on the PK to begin with.

Reactions: weinsink

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

He and Carlo were both playing hot and cold, but while McQ can fight and stick up for guys, he's also more likely than Carlo to take the foolish/anger-related penalty and put us on the PK to begin with.
He's also more likely to score than Carlo, and that's saying something.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Ive never heard a player say... oh my god i was afraid to play that team because X was such a good fighter...

Or... we wanted to take cheap shots at Z but we knew X would kill us

Ive heard players say... having X on our bench made me feel 2 inches taller... so i definitely thing having someone protect your back gives you courage...

But honestly ive seen guys get courage no matter who has their back. Teams that stick together win

Philly didnt rely on the toughest fighter to win... they relied on being a team that supported each other

We didnt have the toughest fighter in 2011 but our boys went to war for each other

Being a team wins

Ive seen great fighters like george laraque and darren bougaurd play on some of the worst teams in the nhl. And ive seen many players on their teams get run.

Players will always get run... but its only when your team plays soft that there is a problem

Detroit never had goons... but never played soft. Many teams had goons like Edmonton this year, but still play soft anyhow

Its more about leadership and character and commitment than it is about left handed jabs

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Ive never heard a player say... oh my god i was afraid to play that team because X was such a good fighter...

Or... we wanted to take cheap shots at Z but we knew X would kill us

Ive heard players say... having X on our bench made me feel 2 inches taller... so i definitely thing having someone protect your back gives you courage...

But honestly ive seen guys get courage no matter who has their back. Teams that stick together win

Philly didnt rely on the toughest fighter to win... they relied on being a team that supported each other

We didnt have the toughest fighter in 2011 but our boys went to war for each other

Being a team wins

Ive seen great fighters like george laraque and darren bougaurd play on some of the worst teams in the nhl. And ive seen many players on their teams get run.

Players will always get run... but its only when your team plays soft that there is a problem

Detroit never had goons... but never played soft. Many teams had goons like Edmonton this year, but still play soft anyhow

Its more about leadership and character and commitment than it is about left handed jabs
What is your point?

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

Gryz is on the left McQuaid is on the right. McQuaid can kill penalties and block shots Gryz can not. They are giving up too many goals.

Reactions: Ladyfan

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I see no reason why McQuaid can't be part of a four or five man rotation with Miller, Holden, Carlo, and even Grizz. One guy sits every five games. Quaider is not a downgrade at all. He is equal with these guys and brings some solid intangibles to the game. Not sure why he is the odd man out. He is loved in that room and he can still play.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

IDK what you're watching then. I saw in a documentary, a fighting one, where players who were interviewed told stories how some of their team mates cam down with mysterious illnesses when they had to face the broad street bullies. Sounds like they were afraid.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
IDK what you're watching then. I saw in a documentary, a fighting one, where players who were interviewed told stories how some of their team mates cam down with mysterious illnesses when they had to face the broad street bullies. Sounds like they were afraid.
I'm sure it happens. I remember Louie DeBrusk talking about vomiting before playing certain teams,knowing he'd have to fight.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The "Philly Flu" - I read about that and watched the same documentary as well. I think it was Bobby Clarke taking about it, right? Either way. It was a thing back in the day.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

but the myth is... that a dirty guy that otherwise would be running around and taking liberties... wont if theres a big tough guy on the other side that will beat him up

the broad street bullies were a team of good fighters... but they didn't have that one nucleur deterent right? bobby Clarke would slash you... moose DuPont would rub you out in the corner... battle ship Kelly would cross check you... it wasn't about fighting it was about getting mugged and if you stood up for yourself there would be a bench clearing brawl

you say that teammates would get the flu... okay, but arnent those the teammates that are weak and never play physical anyhow? phillys fighting didn't cause terry oreilly to get the flu... or larry robinson... or brian sutter... or anyone that had any physicality to them.

my first hockey I ever remember was boston vrs philly from aroun 1976 or so... and wayne Cashman didn't have the flu and stan Johnathon didn't and bobby orr never did and even rick middleton and jean ratelle didn't

I'm sure there are some guys that get the flu against a tough team... and those exact same players probably get the flu many other times too because those players are losers

but that's besides the point. my point was that no tough guy ever said... I cant play tough tonight because I'm afraid

it doesn't happen

in reality... on teams that employ goons... what does happen... is fans on the call in show the next day say why didn't the goon do anything when star player was run last night? the other team kept going after star player and goon did nothing all night long...

in Edmonton I have heard on the radio for the past 25 years... why doesn't laraque fight.. why doesn't debrusk fight... why is gadzic so useless... why doesn't lucic or kassian fight... and on and on and on it goes

and in the meantime the team keeps losing and losing and losing

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I see no reason why McQuaid can't be part of a four or five man rotation with Miller, Holden, Carlo, and even Grizz. One guy sits every five games. Quaider is not a downgrade at all. He is equal with these guys and brings some solid intangibles to the game. Not sure why he is the odd man out. He is loved in that room and he can still play.

Trust the coach.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
Agreed, Ladyfan. He made smart decisions with the puck all night and had more than a few hits that ended Flyers possession.
Great to see you back next to the B's bench!

Reactions: Thrive and Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->