Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Adam McQuaid shares healthy outlook on Bruins offseason

MIDDLETON — Adam 
McQuaid has found himself to be in a state this summer that, for him, is unusual. He’s healthy.

That’s right, for the first time in three years, the oft-injured Bruins defenseman is not recovering from some sort of surgery in the offseason. It’s a nice change.

“Yeah, it’s a good start. Not being behind the 8-ball is good,†said McQuaid with a smile yesterday at former teammate Shawn Thornton’s annual Putts & Punches for Parkinson’s Golf Tournament at the Ferncroft Country Club.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...id_shares_healthy_outlook_on_bruins_offseason

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I love having McQuaid...as our #5 defenseman.

After years of evaluation, we've come to learn #5 is a bullseye for 'Quaider. Never even a hair higher on the chart.

Just like DS, we all love having his toughness around. Hard to subtract it.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I like him and what he brings, but also feel if they pull in a touba/shattenkirk of #1/2 guy mcquaid is the most expendable to us. his deals got short term left and little money for a good #5/6 guy. we have the miller combo who can play the the #4/6 slots now... hoping to move on from the oft injured mcquaid as soon as possible.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I`ll stand by what I said earlier, I still believe Quaider moved prior to the season beginning
Makes sense. He and K. Miller are redundant. So Sweeney would be dealing from strengths. The question is who goes with him in a trade? McQuaid alone would not fetch what we're looking for.

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
I like both players in their respective roles. KM is out of his depth in a full time top 4 role but can fill in sparingly as needed. AM I think is the guy that instills more fear in players from a physicality perspective though both play the body well. I would hate to lose AM but understand that he's the one likely out the door given is age & injury history if the B's can find the right deal. Regardless, both are "right" shooting defensemen which is a league-wide need so while alone they may not bring in a great return, packaged (one or the other) with some other assets could help potentially to fill some organizational needs for the big club.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Might have been our best D man prior to the injury last year. No reason to move him he likely will be one of the players exposed in the expansion draft. Think he will have a good year.

LoneWolf54

Oct 25, 2010
OMAHA
I hope all of you are wrong who think Adam will be gone

You and me both. I appreciate McQuaid, but I also understand he's not a top pairing D man. I understand what he does and doesn't have to offer. But this team has already literally given away so much, I hope he stays. I do believe that character and personality help a team, and the last few seasons they've lost a lot of the players who gave them life both on and off the ice. He's a good team guy, he's not asking for an outrageous amount of money. He's about all of the toughness they have left. I say let him stay.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You and me both. I appreciate McQuaid, but I also understand he's not a top pairing D man. I understand what he does and doesn't have to offer. But this team has already literally given away so much, I hope he stays. I do believe that character and personality help a team, and the last few seasons they've lost a lot of the players who gave them life both on and off the ice. He's a good team guy, he's not asking for an outrageous amount of money. He's about all of the toughness they have left. I say let him stay.

I knew we would agree on this ;)

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I figure that something will have to give with McQuaid and Kevan Miller still on the team. If both are in the line-up on opening night, then that will not bode well for the team's defense and overall outlook next season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think many here would of been more than happy to see Kevan Miller allowed to walk as UFA and keep McQuaid.

Sadly the fact that a potential UFA in Kevan Miller JUST re-signed a 4-year deal clearly shows that between the two, McQuaid is the more likely candidate to be traded, if for nothing else the terrible optics of trading a player in Kevan who just re-upped with the team before he even plays one game of his extension.

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
McQuaid seems like a high-character guy, but the reality is he brings nothing to the table that any number of our young prospects can't do better, outside of size and truculence, which are wholly overrated parts of defense. I can't envision a scenario where he plays out his contract in Boston (which makes why he was given it so baffling), but I hope he can maintain an NHL job elsewhere

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
McQuaid seems like a high-character guy, but the reality is he brings nothing to the table that any number of our young prospects can't do better, outside of size and truculence, which are wholly overrated parts of defense. I can't envision a scenario where he plays out his contract in Boston (which makes why he was given it so baffling), but I hope he can maintain an NHL job elsewhere

I hope Adam stays with the b's

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

He or Miller should be the 3rd pairing RHD. Its pretty simple to me.

The fact that Sweeney re signed Miller long term is just baffling to me.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

I don't post much any more out here, but I have to disagree 100 and 10 percent here.

Size and truculence are a not at all an over rated part of defense (or forwards or teams) in the least.

He's a bottom pairing vertran defenseman who's is a great team guy, great locker room guy and put its all on the ice. And that is infectious to a team.

He's also a very effective bottom pairing shut down guy.

Willing and eager to the drop the gloves in a heartbeat to stick up for a teammate.

Physical.

The idea that you think a 'young prospect' can just step in and replace a vetran..... no, not really.

Reactions: Ladyfan

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I think many here would of been more than happy to see Kevan Miller allowed to walk as UFA and keep McQuaid.

Sadly the fact that a potential UFA in Kevan Miller JUST re-signed a 4-year deal clearly shows that between the two, McQuaid is the more likely candidate to be traded, if for nothing else the terrible optics of trading a player in Kevan who just re-upped with the team before he even plays one game of his extension.

Didn't McQuaid just re-up last year to?

Optics.....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Didn't McQuaid just re-up last year to?

Optics.....

There is a huge difference in the perception of trading a potential UFA player who just re-signed in the same off-season, and trading a player re-signed the previous off-season.

If Sweeney trades Kevan Miller before camp begins, he just made his job at re-signing his own UFAs a million times harder. Agents won't trust him as far as they can throw him.

Trading a re-signed UFA in the same off-season just doesn't happen.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
There is a huge difference in the perception of trading a potential UFA player who just re-signed in the same off-season, and trading a player re-signed the previous off-season.

If Sweeney trades Kevan Miller before camp begins, he just made his job at re-signing his own UFAs a million times harder. Agents won't trust him as far as they can throw him.

Trading a re-signed UFA in the same off-season just doesn't happen.

One year... zero years.

On bottom of the roster player?

Doubt anyone blinks an eye.

If he doesn't make the team, he's trade bait just like anyone else

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One year... zero years.

On bottom of the roster player?

Doubt anyone blinks an eye.

If he doesn't make the team, he's trade bait just like anyone else

Most (as in all) NHL agents would disagree.

Doesn't matter what the caliber of the player is. You don't make a 4-year commitment to a guy just to trade him 8 weeks later before he even plays a game.

If you don't think that Sweeney's reputation with players and player agents would take a massive hit if he traded Kevan Miller before the season even starts than I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad