Value of: Adam Larsson to The Toronto Maple Leafs (Atlantic Division)?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers are coming apart.

Larsson is still perceived as a good asset and one that got NJ Taylor Hall.

Who would TOR deal to land Larsson?

Spec wrote this about him recently:

"Larsson's steady game from last season has departed as well. The top pairing has been anything but effective this season, which would kill any team. It’s killed this one."

It's a little strong, but maybe the truth is somewhere between his comment and what Larsson really is.

No. The Oilers don't have an internal replacement for him, and between Nurse and Larsson we only have 2 guys I would consider as having top pair potential. And for those saying he is a #3, this year I would agree, he was probably more of a #3. But if a guy is a #3 in the worst season of his prime, I would suggest that he is likely to return to top pair form.

We'll gladly keep him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That reasoning is massively flawed, the Oilers were owned in the trade, everyone knows it. The Leafs are not going to follow suit. It's like saying Yakupov's trade value was that of a first #1 overall when he was playing like a 3rd rounder.

Yes, the Oilers lost that trade. But there is zero reason to think that the Oilers have any interest in moving Larsson, so why would they take anything other than an overpayment to get rid of him? He adds a dimension that we are having to go find once again if we trade him.

Reactions: THall4

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yes, the Oilers lost that trade. But there is zero reason to think that the Oilers have any interest in moving Larsson, so why would they take anything other than an overpayment to get rid of him? He adds a dimension that we are having to go find once again if we trade him.
Who fills that dimension for the top teams like TB, Washington, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Winnipeg, etc, etc?

Fact is, that dimension is crazy overrated.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Adam Larsson is not available.

Oilers will never get what they traded away for Lars,which is true, but that's not the point. He's a foundational piece to the Oilers D core, and will be for the next while. Moving him would only create another hole in which we need to fill.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Who fills that dimension for the top teams like TB, Washington, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Winnipeg, etc, etc?

Even if you're right, whats your point?

Are we supposed to have the stars fall from our eyes and dump him on whichever team offers up the best draft pick?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
why is this thread being bumped? The Oilers missed the playoffs in a year that all of their underlying numbers say they were a top 10 team, and their core is still very young. Why would they trade a guy who they still very much need, just to admit defeat?

Reactions: THall4

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Not sure what you are getting at, but none of those teams could move a defenseman the caliber of Larsson without it hurting their team significantly. Most teams who don't want to suck don't trade a #2 defenseman for futures (or anything really) just because the team had a disappointing season. Besides, of the cup champions in the past 10 years, only Pittsburgh didn't have a top end shut down defenseman in their lineup when they won. The league is always changing, but the one thing that good teams do is not trade their good players away on a whim.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Tampa = Stralman / McDonagh
Washington = Orpik /Niskanen
Pittsburgh = Dumolin
Vegas = Brayden McNabb
Winnipeg = Morrissey/Trouba
San Jose = Vlasic
Anaheim = Lindholm
Boston = Chara
New Jersey = Greene

People seem to think the Defensive D is a dying breed...and perhaps it is...but tell me I'm wrong if all those dmen I just named are not vital to the success of their respective teams.....

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How about Adam Larsson for Auston Matthews? Seems about right. Former 1OA scorer for a stabilizing force, team-defense creating defenseman that all teams need

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
How about Adam Larsson for Auston Matthews? Seems about right. Former 1OA scorer for a stabilizing force, team-defense creating defenseman that all teams need
"oh hey, let's pour some gas on the fire by saying something ridiculous". Not useful.

If you're trading Larsson, you won't like the return in relation to what you gave up, but you shouldn't be trading Larsson so it doesn't matter. You can only go forward

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Larsson wasn’t available in January when this thread was made, isn’t available after a late May pointless necro, won’t be available anytime soon - particularly after a spectacular Worlds performance.

Larsson is a hell of a defenceman. Isn’t worth Hall and never was, only an idiot would argue that. However Edmonton is under absolutely no obligation to trade him for Toronto’s disposable futures and depth pieces.

Reactions: TFHockey

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Tampa = Stralman / McDonagh
Washington = Orpik /Niskanen
Pittsburgh = Dumolin
Vegas = Brayden McNabb
Winnipeg = Morrissey/Trouba
San Jose = Vlasic
Anaheim = Lindholm
Boston = Chara
New Jersey = Greene

People seem to think the Defensive D is a dying breed...and perhaps it is...but tell me I'm wrong if all those dmen I just named are not vital to the success of their respective teams.....
The bolded are not good players.

Aside from Dumoulin and Morrissey, all of those other players can put up offensive numbers, so not great comparisons. Larsson is extremely one dimensional

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The bolded are not good players.

Aside from Dumoulin and Morrissey, all of those other players can put up offensive numbers, so not great comparisons. Larsson is extremely one dimensional
You'd think a Devils fan would understand the importance of a shut down d-man, having watched Andy Greene do so for so long.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can we officially announce now that The Devils easily won the AL for Hall trade. AINEC

They won that trade the minute it was made. Was there a single person that said otherwise?
I think what most people were pointing at was that it was 'necessary evil' (it wasn't), because Hall was great (not as good of a player as he was this season), but they were already slated to get Lucic to replace some production and needed D in the worst of ways.

They made a knee-jerk move and it killed them.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
You'd think a Devils fan would understand the importance of a shut down d-man, having watched Andy Greene do so for so long.
Andy Greene was really good, but hasn't been in a few years. He actually had an impact on possession and whatnot. Larsson does not.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Fair enough and the Leafs lose the same and with the way Marner played in the second half of the season and the playoffs....no way I trade him.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Andreas Johnson, 25th overall pick and a conditional 1st if the Leafs make the playoffs next season.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Oilers are coming apart.

Larsson is still perceived as a good asset and one that got NJ Taylor Hall.

Who would TOR deal to land Larsson?

Spec wrote this about him recently:

"Larsson's steady game from last season has departed as well. The top pairing has been anything but effective this season, which would kill any team. It’s killed this one."

It's a little strong, but maybe the truth is somewhere between his comment and what Larsson really is.

The Oilers won't trade him for two reasons;

1. The need him
2. They won't get anything near what they paid for him and I highly doubt Chia wants add that mess to his pile of blunders.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
2. They won't get anything near what they paid for him and I highly doubt Chia wants add that mess to his pile of blunders.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. He is a good player and the Oilers want to keep him, that is why he won't get traded.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

You should look at the d cores you listed and compare it to the oilers without Larsson. Sometimes common sense is all you need.

He may not have the offence but every team you listed have players who play good solid D, like Larsson does. Someone who can play 20 even strength minutes and pk minutes and limit the other teams chances.

Id like to see him get 2nd unit pp time as I think he has more to give

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Just because the Oilers management were stupid enough to trade: a young-proven top 10 winger in the NHL for a #2/3D

Doesn't mean another team will be stupid enough to do the same. I mean come on! How can you use the Oilers' management as a 'blueprint' for a trade?!

Oilers management is simply incompetent ---- they trade Eberle away for nothing, traded Hall away for nothing, ruined Yakupov, what else??
How many more 1st overall picks do the Oilers need?
I realise this is an old thread but what is this jackassery about ruining Yakupov? The kid hasnt been able to stick anywhere, with anyone. Utter nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad